Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mercedes Marco Polo Latest Info 2017

This week we noticed that our local MB dealer had a MP on display and called in to have a look as I am definitely up for a more plush camper experience. The staff got 10 out of 10 for ignoring us, they couldn't have done a better job, so we were able to get an unhindered look at the vehicle. First impression was it looked smarter but much bigger on the outside than the Cali, however the living space seemed, if anything, smaller. It appeared to me that the additional length was used up by the longer bonnet and possibly more room for the driver/passenger. There were some really nice touches such as the glass surround for the gas burners but then they spoiled it by making the sink so small it looked next to useless. I really wanted to love this vehicle but it didn't do it for me and I think anyone who buys one to use as a camper will be disappointed, particularly if they go away in it for any length of time.

This is just my hopefully unbiased opinion, I'm not wed to VW and if the MP had been a better camper than the Cali I would have found a dealer who would speak to me and ordered one, but sadly it isn't.

My feelings exactly. I had high hopes but now disappointed. I am still looking, still comparing but have twice now wasted my time in the showroom talking to disinterested sales people who knew nothing about the vehicle.

I feel sad as I wanted a choice and frankly so far despite my best efforts no one is willing to give me that choice.

I'd like to NOT ignore the Marco Polo but Mercedes aren't making it easy.
I can't get the configurator to work. Don't know a local dealer that has one, no one returned my call and a few years ago I told their staff straight the deal I wanted on a C class 220. I'd have signed there and then but the slow process on their side meant that they came back to me with a slightly improved offer 3 times. At that point I signed a different deal, different car then the salesman came back with the deal I asked for..Too late!!! anyways I got a better deal elsewhere.
I'm sure the MP will be a success and a genuine rival in the long run.

Sense prevails. At the end of the day these are just campervans. You buy to suit your needs or choice. Plain and simple. Just ignore others who try to push or decry ( I admit I have a bias;)) Someday we will look back and remember the good old days when we had freedom to roam and feel sorry for those less fortunate.

I've looked at the MP twice now, once in Truro and once in Nottingham.

Both times was totally ignored but thats what we wanted really, as we wanted to have a good poke around it.

I really like the roof and the way the bellows collapse, looks much more sensible than the Cali tent.

It does feel more car like in the front but the T6 Ocean comfort dash is a good match for it and at least it has MANY cup holders too. The sink as mentioned above did look v small but as I don't own a Cali I can't really comment properly.

The standard kit is impressive (bar the exclusion of a parking heater) too.

I'm going to take a look at the German MB website as I suspect they might do a less posh version and it might be more equivalent to the ocean, but not sure.

I went to Brooklands where they have a black one in the showroom and a silver one in the display area. The staff were very pleasant and helpful but freely admitted that they didn't know as much as they would like about the MP as they're waiting to go on a course about it. They were happy to investigate specifics though.

Hi Guys and sorry for the thread hijack, just a little reminder of where you can find our little forum over on the darkside for all MP owners and people considering to buy one:

http://www.marcopoloownersclub.com/index.php

Having owned an MP for almost a year, I have truly missed an english speaking forum for MP's so thanks for making one, I am definitely signing up!

Having said that, the MP does share quite a few things with the cali's, and I've been given a very warm welcome here despite my choice of vehicle, so I have no plans of leaving this forum as of now :)

Having owned an MP for almost a year, I have truly missed an english speaking forum for MP's so thanks for making one, I am definitely signing up!

Having said that, the MP does share quite a few things with the cali's, and I've been given a very warm welcome here despite my choice of vehicle, so I have no plans of leaving this forum as of now :)

Having checked the new forum out, I find myself a lot more at home here, since the MP forum seem to be meant only for 2016 models and up. I even HAD to choose to own a vehicle that I don't own to be allowed to create an account :headbang

At least this forum is equally focused on the older vehicles as the newer ones.

Having checked the new forum out, I find myself a lot more at home here, since the MP forum seem to be meant only for 2016 models and up. I even HAD to choose to own a vehicle that I don't own to be allowed to create an account :headbang

At least this forum is equally focused on the older vehicles as the newer ones.

You are most welcome :D

We all share one thing .... a love of getting away in a camper. Most times the name of the vehicle is just a name, it's what we do with them that we all share and talk about.

Just thought it worth noting a couple of significant developments related to the Marco Polo in the UK. Firstly the MP Horizon is now available, the version without a kitchen, so equivalent to the Beach.

Also there is now a front centre console between the front seats with, wait for it...... cup holders! This addresses a significant and strange omission and luckily for me will be in the spec for the one I ordered 6 weeks ago.

I sometimes read the MP forum and wonder if most are first time buyers of a campervan. Also seems Mercedes dealers mirror VW (poor until you get a good one).
I also think some don't recognise the functionality of the VW over gloss. Hope they adapt to living with a campervan as the visits to some sites (see faeces outrageous discussion) may not sit well as luxury is not campervanning. If you want that get a Hymer A Class.

I sometimes read the MP forum and wonder if most are first time buyers of a campervan. Also seems Mercedes dealers mirror VW (poor until you get a good one).
I also think some don't recognise the functionality of the VW over gloss. Hope they adapt to living with a campervan as the visits to some sites (see faeces outrageous discussion) may not sit well as luxury is not campervanning. If you want that get a Hymer A Class.

The Site I'm on now is fun.

Basically a very wet field.

Any rain tonight and not much is going to move tomorrow.

Well I've camped in a tent many times so I think I know what I'm letting myself in for. Whilst I was braving it out under canvasI I often wondered if people in their luxury VW camper vans could take the rough and tumble of drizzle and shared toilet blocks.

As for the argument that which vehicle you buy determines your ability to deal with faeces in a shower, well I don't think the VW marketing department will be quick to latch on to the idea.....

I test drove a Marco Polo the other week. Very nice, and car like. Useful for those who would use as a daily driver. It’s footprint is not dissimilar to the A6 I used to have. Rear camera standard too which is nice.

Like others have said, the table and chairs in the boot are a joke - you’d be better off removing these and getting some other fold up ones.

The electric door is near silent which is nice.

Air heater is £2500ish which is another joke. If u only likely to use van with hook up buy an electric fan heater for £20. Really ought to be standard tho.

Well when you already have a California there is always the possibility that you discount alternatives because you have already made, and will defend, your choice.

However, our California sold last week, and before we committed to getting another we looked at the MP again. At the time, therefore, we were neutral and with the MB dealership only 3 miles away there was a strong incentive to go for it.

We pretty soon discounted it as the issues previously discussed had not been revised and in addition the "new" storage bin between the front seats meant Mrs M couldn't get through and had to go out of the side door and walk round to the front!

It would be interesting to hear from someone who has jumped ship to the MP and see how they are getting on with it.

Looking on the MP Facebook page, the owners are a) getting their roof canvases stuck in the scissors, b) having lots of trouble understanding the options lists and c) finding they know much more than the hopeless dealers.... So it looks like we all have lots in common!

On point b), some have ordered what they thought was either a hot water heater (for shower and sink), or a cheaper cabin heater, only to find its a coolant pre-heater for Nordic countries.

There have been teething problems with Mercedes dealerships becoming familiar with the MP. The dealers at least have an excuse in that it's a new vehicle to them, unlike the VW dealers, most of whom would let you believe that a California is a mysterious alien vehicle that dropped from outer space without warning rather than something that's been around for years and years.

The confusion over the water heater though is inexcusable. In fact selling a full fat camper without it being standard is inexcusable. MB do give the impression that introducing a RHD version of the MP has been a PITA that they would rather have done without, which is a shame as the MP is potentially a great vehicle and the one thing VW needs is a kick up the backside with some decent competition.

Just thought it worth noting a couple of significant developments related to the Marco Polo in the UK. Firstly the MP Horizon is now available, the version without a kitchen, so equivalent to the Beach.

Also there is now a front centre console between the front seats with, wait for it...... cup holders! This addresses a significant and strange omission and luckily for me will be in the spec for the one I ordered 6 weeks ago.

By centre console, do you mean something that is between the seats? Can you still move from front to back easily?

By centre console, do you mean something that is between the seats? Can you still move from front to back easily?
Here it is. It makes it difficult to go from the back to the front.

Edit: and front to back!

C790688A-5926-470B-91C4-2F1E31940FEC.jpeg

Last edited:
The problem with MB is that prices are dropping over night. The seats are mix leather and cloth in the rear. The electric rear seat is a total pain to use unless you have all day to wait for it. But I did think in many ways it was better then the VW. If my current van had not been cheap I would of gone MB because i like the look of it.F

Is that a French bulldog in your avatar? Just that I read in the news today they are the most expensive dogs to insure, and I didn’t know what one was ....

Back on topic .... :D

Here it is. It makes it difficult to go from the back to the front.

Edit: and front to back!

View attachment 31234
I just got mine a couple of weeks ago but I have successfully gone from back to front and front to back. It would be slightly easier if the centre console wasn’t there but all I have to do is lift my foot a bit to get over it.

The problem with MB is that prices are dropping over night. The seats are mix leather and cloth in the rear. The electric rear seat is a total pain to use unless you have all day to wait for it. But I did think in many ways it was better then the VW. If my current van had not been cheap I would of gone MB because i like the look of it.F
The seats in the rear are all leather, at least in the UK. There is an extension bit in the back that is cloth but the seats themselves are leather.

Like others have said, the table and chairs in the boot are a joke - you’d be better off removing these and getting some other fold up ones.
The sling in the back holding the chairs is too big but actually I’ve found I can pack a load of other stuff in there so I am treating it as a neat way of dividing up the boot. The table storage is under the “parcel shelf” so that’s quite neat.

Back