Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Mercedes Benz Marco Polo Campervan

The marco polo is of course VERY proven. Although it's not been around in the UK lets not forget that it's been rolling the roads of continental Europe for 10 years.
Although I am still a Cali fan (for the moment at least) I have for the last few years had my beady eye on the Marco Polo as the quality of the interior and the slightly longer wheel base does appeal to me.
I have had my concerns on the earlier Vito based Marco polos as the chasis tended to rust quite easily and I would hope this has been cured on the newer models.
Finally let's keep a keen eye on the price. In continental Europe, the Marco Polo was selling for approx 10-15% more than the Cali some 3 years back, so will they be value for money?
Whatever happens, the defacto standard campervan that is the Cali will certainly come under stiff competition over the coming years...

Last edited:
I looked at the vito based campervan before I bought my VW.

I thought it had head space problems when sitting on the back bench when the roof was down. The design had the roof lowering towards the back.

I wonder if it will be in th UK as a UK van ie with the sliding door on the 'right' side?

I hope I remember this correctly. Westphalia, as we all know, for a long time was synonymous with VW, then nearly overnight they cut ties with VW. In an outrage that "the friendship" had been terminated so quickly, VW had no choice but to start making campervans on its own and hello California. I have been reading the previous forum on VW lack of customer service with trepidation and sadness. We hit the road with our brand new Cali - ZuluCampi - on 15 July and arrived in Spain on 18 Jul. We are thoroughly enjoying ZuluCampi and so far so good. We bought her from Bury St Edmunds and had a very good experience with John who handles this side of the business. Time will tell.

It's all about the 4Wd, auto transmission and with decent umph for steep mountain roads. Two options. Cali or Toyota Granvia. Currently I have both! (Although fingers crossed not for much longer)

I was blown away when I saw the T5 Joker...

Then reality set in,

It's on the LWB version (all those places where Albert by the thickness of paint managed to get through and round . a total no go area for 40 extra cm's) and extra height ... (bang goes my super smug feeling when flying through the 2m height barriers on a peage "fast lane")....

However it is a beautifully made camper, fantastic use of space, and if I ever became "sensible" and stopped seeking white knuckle rides then it would be my choice.
They do a swb with pop top roof Jen, saw it at the NEC. Not sure if this link will work but there is a photo on the news section of their website http://www.westfalia-mobil.net/en/news/2014_birmingham.php
180 dsg 4 motion options too.

Last edited:
To be honest, I thought the interior build quality of my old Westfalia T4 California was better (all be it more old fashioned of course), than my current VW factory built T5.

If the build quality is along the lines of older Marco Polo's (and Westfalia VW's) I've see in the past it will definitely give the VW a run for it's money.

Sorry if I've missed this - is the Marco Polo going to be available in RHD ??

Yes, it's the city I believe. I

To be honest, I thought the interior build quality of my old Westfalia T4 California was better (all be it more old fashioned of course), than my current VW factory built T5.

If the build quality is along the lines of older Marco Polo's (and Westfalia VW's) I've see in the past it will definitely give the VW a run for it's money.

Sorry if I've missed this - is the Marco Polo going to be available in RHD ??

promised Q4 this year

As just pointed out, the Westfalia CITY Joker is their own swb sub 2m offering. I love the layout but it won't suit many used to the Cali 'boot'.
The implication that westfalia dumped vw is not quite correct. Westfalia were acquired by Mercedes so we're effectively barred from working with vw and vw wouldn't want to share details of their next generation van with their competitor.
Westfalia was bought out again recently, which signalled the start of them producing vw based vans again.

To be honest, I love the California, but I think Merc have really got their act together with the full fat Marco Polo and it could well prove far superior to the California. VW's fault for standing still (relatively speaking) with the T6.

Can't wait to see the Marco Polo at car dealerships next year.

No doubt that MB will have done their homework exceedingly well, but I suppose, in the end, customers will ultimately choose between the size of both campers and their particular needs. Personally, the size of the Cali is my preferred choice. This will be one he'll of a competition, doesn't hurt that VW will tighten the boot strings!!

Too
No doubt that MB will have done their homework exceedingly well, but I suppose, in the end, customers will ultimately choose between the size of both campers and their particular needs. Personally, the size of the Cali is my preferred choice. This will be one he'll of a competition, doesn't hurt that VW will tighten the boot strings!!

Competition is always good for both product development and cost!

Do you really think there's much difference in size/internal space?

Too

The Vito is 18 cm longer and it was designed by Westfalia so whilst there will be differences, overall those differences will be on individual parts and will depend upon individual likes and silks.

Can't wait to see the Marco Polo at car dealerships next year.
I wonder if the MB dealerships will be over the moon to see us (and take our Calis in p/x)?

Or will they studiously ignore us when we walk in and carry on tapping at their keyboards .... :D

Strange that you should say that ....

When I idly rung Chichester MB to see if they had a new V class in they almost sent a car to collect me there and then,

mind you I was sat in a BMW dealers at the time so they may have got it wrong

I wonder if the MB dealerships will be over the moon to see us (and take our Calis in p/x)?

Or will they studiously ignore us when we walk in and carry on tapping at their keyboards .... :D

To be honest, I've had 2 mercs and a VW and while VW dealers are good, Mercedes are far better in terms of customer service. VW van dealers not so much.

Dealers never offer great px deals, especially on third party brands, but we live in hope!

To be honest, I've had 2 mercs and a VW and while VW dealers are good, Mercedes are far better in terms of customer service. VW van dealers not so much.
I went in a MB dealership once. It was posh and the only car in there was an S class costing a number with a lot of noughts after it. So I got back on my motorbike and shot off back to the Greasy Spoon Cafe before they called security ..... :D

I went in a MB dealership once. It was posh and the only car in there was an S class costing a number with a lot of noughts after it. So I got back on my motorbike and shot off back to the Greasy Spoon Cafe before they called security ..... :D

Sounds like a close escape...

Too

We bought ZuluCampi mostly for travelling down to summer house in Spain and (1) trying to avoid hotel costs with 6 dogs, and (2) to take more time in our travelling south to explore more. Thus, we don't anticipate a week or two in ZuluCampi so size is important to us. We find we are taking a great deal of care where we park her when shopping etc. A bigger van/motor home woukd be even worse.

My brother in law is a Mercedes Benz electrical technician, he travels the country ,trouble shooting faults for MB dealerships (commercials)
He told me he would never buy a mb van over a Volkswagen, he says when he removes dashboards /trims etc on an mb there's little or no paint under there so they are prone to rot.
Since he told me this
i have have been taking note whenever I see MB vans parked up in car parks etc .
From what I've seen the MB vans also develop external body rot far earlier in their lives than any VW.
I do like the looksys of the Marco Polo though

Interesting comments on Mercedes. Does any thing manufactured these days since 2000 when China really became the world's big Khuna? My husband and I had a plastic moulding injection company for 43yrs and in the last decade of business, it was shocking to see so much degrade. Customers would flock to China to have their "tools" made (no, we are not talking screw drivers etc) and then bring them back, hand over to us and then the hair pulling - their's, not ours - to get it to run and produce the product.

My brother in law is a Mercedes Benz electrical technician, he travels the country ,trouble shooting faults for MB dealerships (commercials)
He told me he would never buy a mb van over a Volkswagen, he says when he removes dashboards /trims etc on an mb there's little or no paint under there so they are prone to rot.
Since he told me this
i have have been taking note whenever I see MB vans parked up in car parks etc .
From what I've seen the MB vans also develop external body rot far earlier in their lives than any VW.

I was thinking the same thing. I have a friend runs a restoration garage, and a recent job on a 7 year old Mercedes van that was more rotten than my 30 year old VW (before I restored it). I was wondering if they had solved their rot problems but the VW is at least galvanised, is the Merc?

Since he told me this

Not sure this is the case with the new V Class but something to look into though.

Re: New Mercedes Benz Marco Polo videos

As a long time Mercedes owner I can confirm they have issues like a motor manufacturers.
The engines are capable of very high mileage, but Vitos did rust badly in the recent past. I understand the bodies are now galvanised, but IMO rust on Mb's is the biggest risk.
I totally agree. I recently got shot of the second of two perfectly good mercedes cars, both because of serious issues with auto boxes. MBs are stuffed full of useful and not so useful equipment and IMO they, like many modern cars, have become far too complicated. Also, rust should never be an issue on a Mercedes.
On a separate note, whilst recently doing research before buying my Cali, I test drove the new V class Mercedes people carrier. (I believe that it is the base vehicle for the new top Marco Polo model). I found it to be a very smooth ride and the quality of the overall package has been greatly improved over the previous model. However, whilst very impressed, I to would be worried about residuals if the Marco Polo becomes available in the UK. I see the Cali as a much safer bet albeit one with a slightly inferior ride quality.
However, one thing that may make it a slightly more attractive proposition to some is that I understand that like the V class, the Marco Polo will be dealt with by their car dealerships and not their commercial people. Whether this will be better for the levels of service or not I do not know.

Last edited:
Beggers belief that there need be such a wide gap between dealership and commercial.