Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Blasphemy - Marco Polo Horizon as alternative to Beach

Camperfamily

Camperfamily

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I know this may be considered blasphemous on here, but I have found myself looking online at Mercedes Benz Marco Polo Horizon as an alternative to the VW Cali Beach. I have to say that it seems much better value... LED lights, electric handbrake, leather seats, 3 Isofix points across 3 seat bench, twin sliding doors all as standard, with manual operated seats (like Beach, but unlike the electrically operated seats in the ‘full fat’ Marco Polo equivalent to Ocean).

The only drawbacks I can see are (1) no electrical hookup, which can easily be solved with solar; (2) curtains rather than blinds - although this could be an advantage with young kids who might like to play with the delicate Cali blinds; (3) distributed via MB car network, who know little about the van (although most VW commercials similar) and (4) our sister Marco Polo forum is very lightly populated - this forum is a great resource for Cali ownership and offsets many clueless dealerships.

Any objective thoughts?

Last edited:
Not blasphemy, we have had our friends from the Marco Polo club join us at the Hignlands end meet a couple of times.

I like the quality but they are not as compact as the calli.

Every time I have looked at the MP I have been impressed, but swung to the VW because it offers more of what I want.

The lack of hook-up would concern me as I am often away in months of low sun, curtains I don't mind, the dealerships are even worse than VW but now there are some decent ones coming along.

To me a worthwhile comparison.

Every time I have looked at the MP I have been impressed, but swung to the VW because it offers more of what I want.

The lack of hook-up would concern me as I am often away in months of low sun, curtains I don't mind, the dealerships are even worse than VW but now there are some decent ones coming along.

To me a worthwhile comparison.
Thanks @GrannyJen - I read some of your posts on the Marco Polo forum and thought they were very objective. Thanks for your input.

When looking for a camper, we went to look at the Marco Polo at local dealership but discounted it versus the SE/ Ocean as thought it was too ’glam’ and not enough ‘camper’ for a young family. The electrically operated bed seemed a problem waiting to happen.

However, now that we’re thinking about moving to a Beach due to our growing family, the Marco Polo Horizon looks a very credible alternative to the Beach in my opinion (and more closely balanced than (full fat) Marco Polo versus Cali Ocean).

Last edited:
I noticed that the Horizon also has two sliding doors.

Thanks @GrannyJen - I read some of your posts on the Marco Polo forum and thought they were very objective. Thanks for your input.

When looking for a camper, we went to look at the Marco Polo at local dealership but discounted it versus the SE/ Ocean as thought it was too ’glam’ and not enough ‘camper’ for a young family. The electrically operated bed seemed a problem waiting to happen.

However, now that we’re thinking about moving to a Beach due to our growing family, the Marco Polo Horizon looks a very credible alternative to the Beach in my opinion (and more closely balanced than (full fat) Marco Polo versus Cali Ocean).

I don't really know much about the Horizon.

My problems with the Ocean equivalent were those back seats and everyone but everyone having need to find the reset button, if they could find the latest place that MP had put it: I really don't need the faff when I want to simply go to bed! Also the piano black of the kitchen units, I would be forever dusting, and the lack of little storage cubby's, especially up in the drivers cabin.

The dealers were dreadful and if I were buying now I would go to one that is getting good reviews, even it was at the other end of the country. I would not waste my time with those that I talked to.

Otherwise I would certainly be confident about considering one.

I agree with everything you've said, but remember they also have a roof problem that seems to require the whole roof being replaced. But the Horizon does seem to be a reasonable replacement for the Beach.

I've just had a look out of interest as I wasn't aware of this alternative. Looks good, but is the roof bed very small? I can't find dimensions but it looks it from the image of the cab.

I've just had a look out of interest as I wasn't aware of this alternative. Looks good, but is the roof bed very small? I can't find dimensions but it looks it from the image of the cab.
I think it’s because the Marco Polo Horizon is on the long wheel base, about 30cm longer than Cali, so bed is longer, but of similar width

From memory they also have a better choice of engines and options than the Beach.

I agree with everything you've said, but remember they also have a roof problem that seems to require the whole roof being replaced. But the Horizon does seem to be a reasonable replacement for the Beach.
Thanks @WelshGas - is this the recall relating to the roof rails that you’re referring to? Notwithstanding the design fault, I was impressed that there seems to be a proper recall...

(Link: https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/cons...ain.notification&reference=A12/0609/19&lng=en)

I like the Horizon myself.. I believe that you can even get it with a sunroof! I’d like to see how they do that.
The curtains really put me off though and I doubt the residuals will be as good as the Beach but that could well be offset by better discounts?

Thanks @WelshGas - is this the recall relating to the roof rails that you’re referring to? Notwithstanding the design fault, I was impressed that there seems to be a proper recall...

(Link: https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/cons...ain.notification&reference=A12/0609/19&lng=en)
No, the Fibre glass pop top roof.

No, the Fibre glass pop top roof.

Hmm that’s a shame, however the response from MB seems to be better than VW based on that thread

I think the curtains are an advantage.
Never been a fan of the roller blinds in the Cali.
Plus point of the MP. There aren’t so many about. I do like something different and out of the ordinary.
The T-series are absolutely everywhere these days...

I looked at an mp but the thought of losing so much boot space for outdoor table and chairs was a distinct disadvantage! I love the cali is ready to go fully fledged as it were. And I felt I was in a posh hairdressers not a camper

Further to this post having been in a horizon for a year now sold 204 dsg 4 motion ocean on 16 plate
Absolutely brilliant no warranty no prblems i agree table and chairs sad to loose but came up with a plan where the very nice large comfy chairs slide between the rear seat and bed extension and table lays flat under bed extension
I know this is vw California site and please no abuse but after the endless problems i had with the ocean and nightmare getting things rectified i wont go back
the horizon has been faultless

Further to this post having been in a horizon for a year now sold 204 dsg 4 motion ocean on 16 plate
Absolutely brilliant no warranty no prblems i agree table and chairs sad to loose but came up with a plan where the very nice large comfy chairs slide between the rear seat and bed extension and table lays flat under bed extension
I know this is vw California site and please no abuse but after the endless problems i had with the ocean and nightmare getting things rectified i wont go back
the horizon has been faultless
Thanks for your input. I’m keen to hear your experience of the MP Horizon. Also interested in why you moved from Cali Ocean to MP Horizon, rather than the MP equivalent to Ocean

I like the Horizon myself.. I believe that you can even get it with a sunroof! I’d like to see how they do that.
Unlike the folding of the California roof, the roof of the MP folds multiple times along the edges. Leaving the middle of the roof open, making it possible to have a sunroof.
Look at minute 6:55.

Ok.
I stopped watching once I saw the seat bed.
What were Mercedes thinking...?

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. I’m keen to hear your experience of the MP Horizon. Also interested in why you moved from Cali Ocean to MP Horizon, rather than the MP equivalent to Ocean
Hi IMO kitchen will only heat water and soup because the gas seemed to be only on or off the sink was too small to wash anything in so we always used facilities where we were or just brought it all home to wash
cupboards that never got used so just took up space
I suppose the long and short of it we have soooo much more space the bed is huge the space between the bed and front seats is considerably more
So i just considered all the extra kitchen and cupboards a total waste of money like i said in my opinion and each to their own
Hope this helps

Test drive one, they are a much nicer drive than a VW. Not as good a camper though