Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Mercedes Benz Marco Polo Campervan

Well, some things don't change :D

Driving around in my brand new A4 Avant (well, it's a hire vehicle whilst Albert is on long term loan to VW technical) I popped into my local MB Dealership.

"Can I have a look at a new V Class please"

Bored sales - person "don't have one ... only in our Southampton branch"....

"Southampton is 40 miles away .... can you organise me a test drive?" .....

I got told to go to Southampton.

"When do you anticipate seeing the Marco Polo".....Dazed, glazed, look .... the lips working to mumble a reply whilst brain searching all available neurons for "marco polo"....

I saved him the trouble ...... "I'll pop over to Southampton when they have one".......

Yep, the sort of enthusiasm only matched by certain VW van centres.

I climbed back into my nice shiny 30 miles on the clock Audi avant, thought briefly about popping off to my BMW dealer to ask for a trade in ........ then decided Europe Hire wouldn't be best pleased

I am seriously thinking people should go into these dealerships with a hidden camera, film the episode and then upload onto YouTube and copy the URL to the CEO. Hmmm, maybe there is enough money in the privvy purse to buy a dash cam and hidden camera.

Beggers belief that there need be such a wide gap between dealership and commercial.

Be careful what you wish for.
I've owned Mercedes cars for quite a while and the dealer network is hit and miss. Some get up to dubious practices, some are very good. A whole network of Mercedes independent garages exist, usually staffed by ex Mercedes trained technicians. They are usually just as good and much cheaper and more trustworthy. Remember you pay for all that nice showroom and "free" coffee. Many long term Mercedes owners use these once their vehicles are out of warranty.

The engines are capable of very high miles, gearbox problems are rare. Rust can be a bugbear but improved in recent years.

Also, I think that the T6 and new Vito share the same platform. The van platforms have been a joint venture development between Mercedes and VW. So perhaps not all that different.

Personally I like the look of the Club joker, but I would like to see one in the flesh.

Now,

I know this is from a Dealer,

and as we know Dealers are not the best informed people, we only need to see how many were in the dark regarding the T6 availability ...

but... a reply to an enquiry I have made ...

"I have spoken to Mercedes Product marketing and they have confirmed the Marco Polo will be launch in right hand drive. Unfortunately it has only just been signed off and is currently in development so the car will not be with us until the first half of 2017. The V class has had a few product delays..... ."

Today they announced the new AMG version of the Marco Polo, also it was announced that the Marco Polo has won best compact campervan in Germany for the second year running. We are seeing many more Marco Polo now in Germany, I think people like the Westfalia quality.

You can see why it wins, the cabin is so much nicer than the T6, more modern and leather as standard.

08-2015-Mercedes-V-Klasse-AMG-Line-fotoshowImage-1f3e86f5-889771.jpg

08-2015-Mercedes-V-Klasse-AMG-Line-fotoshowImage-2014759a-889778.jpg

08-2015-Mercedes-V-Klasse-AMG-Line-fotoshowImage-b62db21d-889777.jpg

Mercedes-V-Klasse-Marco-Polo-AMG-Line-CMT-2016-fotoshowImage-a852fb13-920563.jpg

Interesting we need this in the UK. Even if people wish to stick with their Cali's at least it would provide competition. I for one shall start calling in any Merc dealership and ask for one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks nice , but how do the front seats turn with that huge box in between....?
And the last pic....can't see any wardrobes or coocker ...

We were next to German couple last year who had just got a Marco Polo. Bit of van "swinging" went on with us in theirs and them in the Cali for a good nosy. Very impressed with the quality but for me it seemed a bit over top and quite gloomy. Perhaps just the colour scheme they had but preferrred the Cali overall.
Agree it's good to have competition and keep VW on their toes.

Interesting we need this in the UK. Even if people wish to stick with their Cali's at least it would provide competition. I for one shall start calling in any Merc dealership and ask for one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I asked my MB dealer before buying a T6, the salesman said, "isn't that made by VW"!

Looks nice , but how do the front seats turn with that huge box in between....?
And the last pic....can't see any wardrobes or coocker ...
Maybe it's the Beach version? Certainly the interior looks good - more car like than VW

It looks like they have made a good job of the Marco Polo, the interior has a much better design than most out there.

I can't see the point of white leather except looking good in promo videos (there must be other colour choices surely) and a small thing but I don't like the window curtains. Split tail gate is a really useful feature. They may have fixed some typical issues with the new bellows design as well.

Has MB published any prices yet?

Don't know if it has been posted before
Looks good but the guy seems to talk as if they invented a whole new verhicle....
Some things look better than a Cali other not , all comprmises.
The Activity is the Beach version it seems.

See how he opens the lid from the sink and how he have to take three attemps to close the rear storage shelf in the roof......:D

Very pretty!
Not for us though.

At the show they display how the roof folds down, no risk of it becoming trapped, why did VW not do this on the T6???? maybe they want us to damage our roof to make more money?

All very nice and the VClass is a very nice vehicle to drive. However are Mercedes Benz going to let us Brits have the Marco Polo? Even if it does find its way here I am not sure that I would buy one instead of a Cali.

I don't think this has been posted; there's a comparison of the Cali and Marco Polo on a German website; Google translated page here.

I can't actually find the "Conclusion", it seems to just go to "Specifications".

The VW is slightly quicker accelerating, while the Merc has a better auto box. More room in the Merc too, if I've understood the pigeon English correctly.

I don't think this has been posted; there's a comparison of the Cali and Marco Polo on a German website; Google translated page here.

I can't actually find the "Conclusion", it seems to just go to "Specifications".

The VW is slightly quicker accelerating, while the Merc has a better auto box. More room in the Merc too, if I've understood the pigeon English correctly.
Colin, this is the conclusion - think they preferred the Cali
Conclusion: With the larger beds of California has become more close to the camping practice.In other chapters, especially the kitchen, he said, however, Marco Polo has to admit defeat.

They seem to prefer the California in almost every aspect except:
the kitchen as it is more practical in the Merc
the seats swivel much easier in the Merc
Especially noted was the comfort of the Cali, the better storage, better protected floor rails, better table and a few other minor things. I'll read it again when I get more time.

For anyone wanting to buy an MP, from my experience the dealer satisfaction level is going to be on a par with VW.

My experiences: Dealer 1: " Will you be getting the Marco Polo next year (2016) "? ......"whats the Marco polo??"

Dealer 2: "you will have to go to Southampton for that"........ "I am in Southampton"........."oh... Southampton commercials"......"Mercedes Benz say it will be sold through their main car dealerships .... as you are"...

Dealer 3 (as recommended by dealer 2)...... "we will not be seeing it until mid 2017"..... "oh! This Mercedes Benz press release says Q3 2016".... "oh yes, but thats MB Germany, they never get it right"......

At the moment I am sat in Albert, just over 1100 miles in the last 4 days and nights and nothing on this planet could make my smile any broader than it is now so Marco Polo can just take his "burning stones" ... (coal)... back to Kublai Khan.