Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Mercedes Benz Marco Polo Campervan

My word, that really is rather nice...

I am sad to say, if they were side by side in a showroom I would go for the Marco Polo, it does make the California look so old fashioned.

Also proper leather seats and gorgeous dash.

I've just had a proper look at the video and I'm not quite so convinced. Most of what you see appears to be pretty much a direct copy of the VW in terms of layout etc. When you start looking at the other bits that make it look more modern, I'm not sure how practical some of those things will be once the vehicle becomes a camper. Those rear seat bolsters look lovely and are probably very comfy when you have your seatbelt on... the roof mounted rear storage cupboard looks like the entire contents will fall out when it is opened. The cupboards will lend themselves to rattles (although there are probably better ways to pack the pots and pans than they demonstrate in the video!)

I'll be interested to see one in the flesh...

This has been made by Wesfalia, if they can't get it spot I am not sure who can?

Caliman has a point - some cars (ahem, Audi) seduce you with looks and nice interiors then turn out to be a bit disappointing when you actually buy one.

the_lecht_rocks said:
indeed - it's the reason [along with the impending T6] that I shall not buy a current T5 California.

Same here!

We're actually in a state of limbo until we know if and when the Marco Polo is coming to the UK and if and when the T6 Cali is coming.

For me WV still wins in 3 aspects:

1 - price (or it does not matter anymore if you spend 50 000 or 60 000 ?).

2 - VW is shorter, 4890 vs 5008. It does make significant difference in many situations, I imagine. (or will T6 be longer? like T5 is longer than T4).

3 - VW Bully, California culture:
meetings, community, proud and heritage, lots of gadgets also.

Viano on the other hand have a terrible reputation for rust resistance, especially doors.

Cheers
Andrzej

it's a no brainer, the Viano is rear wheel drive which is frankly insane, especially for winter camping

over the 4motion you currently have?

most of my trips are skiing - I wouldn't dream of a RWD campervan on icy roads, chains or not.

I tend to agree - RWD is ideal for something sporty, but I have found it worryingly bad in the snow / ice even with winter tyres.

Incidentally, don't think that the Mercedes will be bulletproof compared to the Cali: my new E Class broke down twice in the first 3 days, and was off the road for a month before it was finally fixed.

I would love to see a Marco Polo in the flesh, but I don't think you would want to be an 'early adopter' - best to wait for the niggles to be ironed out.

Simon

Looks nice on the surface and I like the rear window but no double glazing? Not good with my bike rack!
It's chintzy inside yes, but I quite like the workaday Cali interior. It's about right for a campervan that we use at the coast, in the hills etc. looks like it's a copy of the Cali layout but the underseat storage isn't as cavernous in the cabin, the rear locker behind the fridge looks smaller, the stowage of the picnic table / seats is years behind the Cali and as well as not combining with the kitchen rail takes up most of the useful space in the boot which we pretty much pack full for our 3 week trips.
Rear wheel drive is crazy not just for the traction in winter but it'll take up space in the rear of the vehicle. Also I don't like the curved roof on the merc, it doesn't integrate with the pop top as well as the Cali roof does ( despite the rust)

Never had a problem with rear wheel drive, it depends how good a driver you are. You think manafacturers in cold countries like Germany use RWD as standard , BMW, Mercedes etc..

We had two top of the range Vito Dualiners on our fleet originally costing around ÂŁ30k. Depreciation was depressing, when we sold them in p/x after 4 years we only got ÂŁ1k more than a Toyota Hiace the same age. I wouldn't risk my own money on a Marco Polo, aside from the drawbacks of no dedicated storage for chairs & table.

BTW, we lost very little on the Hiace, about ÂŁ4k .... and we were p/x'ing them for Transit Customs ... we now have 5 of these, and I can tell you - great vans, but do not open the doors in the wind!

Edit: Changed ÂŁ30 to ÂŁ30k. I wish!

Last edited:
But....................4 wheel drive is nice to have.............:Nailbiting

In January, I was close to sign for this Marco Polo, but 5 minutes before, I changed my mind.
The car is good looking, indeed.
I drove the 190 pk version, automatic, also liked it.
The seating is lower.
But when I went to the Brussels car exposition, I was very disappointed about:
- the feeling, the quality of the furniture (table was already broken)
- no heating while standing (extra cost)
- no exterior furniture
- less space, we are talking about centimeters, but the difference when you live in it, is big
- a very light colour for the interior, easy to get dirt and very fragile
- no double glass
- mechanical pop-up roof
- a long, very long list of options
- not much after market stuff that makes the life a bit easier
I'm also convinced that the Cali will keep much longer his value when selling it after 5 years (= utopia ;)).

This made me decide to go for the 'original'.

We at in a vito conversion at the caravan and camping show. It's amazing how "pokey" it felt compared to the t5. As you said there's only cm in it but it felt a lot lower.

It is interesting reading the comments above. I have had a Marco Polo (Viano 639) for the last 9 years and have covered over 100,000 miles in it. They are very good and, as mentioned above, Westfalia know how to build them. I am reluctantly selling mine and I am buying a T5, mainly because my wife would prefer right hand drive. As standard they have an Eberspacher space heater, the roof does have an electric option and four wheel drive is available, in fact most, if not all the VW options have been available for some time. Mine also has an electric sunroof which I will miss due to the different design of the VW roof! There is space for both in the market and I look forward to my first VW experience.

I now have both outside the house and the comparisons are interesting. The living space of the Marco Polo is 15cms longer and the side units are also 15cms longer Not a big difference but it does make the California feel that bit more restricted. There are only two of us using it so not really a problem.

Last edited:
Just spoken to Mercedes Benz press officer and the Marco Polo activity is due for release in Q4 on 2015 with deliveries in early 2016. A press release is due to go out towards the end of the summer.

Here is a review in Practial Motorhome

I like the idea of the manual roof as standard, also curtains insread of blinds o_O? Less to go wrong though
I have just sold my Marco Polo after nearly nine years and 100,000 miles and have just bought a California. Curtains are a pain in operation though they do look better, the manual roof is also very heavy but having said that the pop up tent is storm proof, never had a leak and it was used summer and winter and in highland gales. The method of folding the roof also allows you to have a sunroof which I enjoyed. In my opinion, the California is nicer to drive.

Tom