Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mercedes Marco Polo Latest Info 2017

Because I'm a nerdy man who loves little more than crunching numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would crunch numbers but I struggle to remember them these days :sad

Wasn't sure where to post, but the guy that reviewed the MP in detail also reviewed the T6 ocean.

Will be interesting to see if the MP forum has any complaints as all focus seems to be fault finding of the California.
All campervans have faults but the main thing is they give pleasure. Time to start enjoying and get out and about while we can still travel.

I am getting really jaundiced about the two-night camping wonders who make you tube video's as though they are terribly experienced vehicle testers.

I used to write historical guide books and got pissed off with those who got an economy trip with iceland air to minnesota and then considered themselves to be an icon of knowledge about how the plains Indians moved across the grasslands.

This guy, the subject of the video posted two posts up, is in the same category.

Live in it mate. Go through Mud, snow, hail, travel like any real camper will want to travel, get away from the caravans and great whites, go to where the pulse races and the imagination goes on overdrive, forget the silly, stupid, pathetic "I can't get into this cupboard when the bed is down" trash and get into the real world of "I was safe, snug and protected when the wind howled, the snow built up all around, I was warm with my STANDARD heater, I had gas with my easily found gas bottle, I had grip with my incredibly sound suspension and short body overhangs, I got into this place, I will get out of it".

Has this bloke been where I have been, lived through the storms that Albert and I have lived through, suffered the sickening crash we had and was on the road again that afternoon, just felt so reassuringly safe and warm and comfortable that I felt right out there on the edge? Don't tell me how inconvenient the cupboards are. Tell me what it is like to be safe and comfortable and warm and reassured that you will be moving tomorrow.

Really, Let's be really objective .... I mean, poor fellow, if he uses the 12v socket upstairs upstairs for a reading light then he has to find somewhere else to charge his phone ... good grief .... and of course the chairs in the tailgate, might be able to get smaller or cheaper elsewhere but no mention at all that they are tucked out of the way and you are left with a nice big boot, something actually quite useful if you go real camping which, given the little bit of speculation at the end as to why someone would want a camper in the first place, is something clearly this bloke knows nothing about.

This post has been edited, the language moderated, so that the next poster down can have a good night's sleep without suffering an attack of the vapours :shocked

Last edited:
Jen, language!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This is the youtube video that persuaded me to buy a camper ....

Thank you Bob Flavin, The bloke went away for a week with his two kids, lived in it then produced this review. It's not just about the Cali, it's about the whole camper van ethos. Anyone with half a brain will deduce that you simply can't pack so much into such a small space without their being compromises and compromises create niggles, but are they worth living with?

no check lists, no complaints about having nowhere to charge a phone if you plug a reading light in upstairs, just a review of what it's like to experience a camper van.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see if the MP forum has any complaints as all focus seems to be fault finding of the California.
All campervans have faults but the main thing is they give pleasure. Time to start enjoying and get out and about while we can still travel.
Im ordering my MP on Monday . I'm sure there will be some 'surprises' on it, but I love I will report them here so you can say "I told you" ;-)
As far as I know both are top campers and, at the end, it was just small details that made me choose MP over Cali.
See you on the road ....

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Im ordering my MP on Monday . I'm sure there will be some 'surprises' on it, but I love I will report them here so you can say "I told you" ;-)
As far as I know both are top campers and, at the end, it was just small details that made me choose MP over Cali.
See you on the road ....

Hope you ordered the Parking Heater.

Still time to change your mind :))
I can not stand it anymore. Each time I review my "pros-cons" list I change my mind ... I just want my camper ... ;-)

Still time to become one of us. Go on you know you want to really;)

I think that review was a little harsh on the Cali.That said nothing in it was worse than some on here have said against the MP.

My own take-having recently been in the position recently where I was lucky enough to have the choice to order either was that for my own needs the MP just got the vote.It was an agonising decision and had there been no MP on sale I’m sure I would have been perfectly happy buying an Ocean.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses-the best vehicle is a matter of personal opinion-not fact.

You could have that beautiful 204 4MO DSG in Bromma Stockholm for a good deal, but I noticed Merc are doing great deals on the MP here.

Of course its a personal thing. The Cali has history on it side. I also think its a beautiful looking van with its simple good looks. As I said before Driving a VW is an event, its more that how many USB ports you have or some other technical difference. Its the original of the species, a conduit for good times past and present and for me, other campers are just also rans. I wouldn't buy a Marco Polo because Im a dedicated lover of the VW camper in all its forms and I can't understand why anyone who is a member of this forum would buy one either. I would rather walk . The reviewer above is just doing his job and is speaking to the unconverted and thats fine, but I don't care about the small differences between the vans. One is the real thing, and the other is a soulless faceless machine with no personality. A Merc is a great machine I guess, but would it ever be called, Daisy, or Colin, or Albert, somehow I don't think so.

Of course its a personal thing. The Cali has history on it side. I also think its a beautiful looking van with its simple good looks. As I said before Driving a VW is an event, its more that how many USB ports you have or some other technical difference. Its the original of the species, a conduit for good times past and present and for me, other campers are just also rans. I wouldn't buy a Marco Polo because Im a dedicated lover of the VW camper in all its forms and I can't understand why anyone who is a member of this forum would buy one either. I would rather walk . The reviewer above is just doing his job and is speaking to the unconverted and thats fine, but I don't care about the small differences between the vans. One is the real thing, and the other is a soulless faceless machine with no personality. A Merc is a great machine I guess, but would it ever be called, Daisy, or Colin, or Albert, somehow I don't think so.
'I can't understand why anyone who is a member of this forum would buy one either'

Well, I'm a member of quite a few forums, about all type of campers, and in there we/they discuss their experiences, share ideas , problems and tips. I think It's always good, in all the aspects of live, to be able to see the hole picture for a better understanding of the situation and be able to take the right decisions.(well this does not work this easy )

... and I must say: I have not found, anywhere else, the level of intolerance against 'other' campers this forum breathes. Many here get really tens with the words MarcoPolo. Quite interesting in fact, and such a pity.

About all your other comments, I agree more or less.

'I can't understand why anyone who is a member of this forum would buy one either'

Well, I'm a member of quite a few forums, about all type of campers, and in there we/they discuss their experiences, share ideas , problems and tips. I think It's always good, in all the aspects of live, to be able to see the hole picture for a better understanding of the situation and be able to take the right decisions.(well this does not work this easy )

... and I must say: I have not found, anywhere else, the level of intolerance against 'other' campers this forum breathes. Many here get really tens with the words MarcoPolo. Quite interesting in fact, and such a pity.

... and to help many of you to improve your medical condition, I'm going to close my account here. The bad apple leaves the basket!

No bad feelings, enjoy your Calis for many many years, as I hope I will enjoy my camper.

Good luck with your new Marco Polo, I wish you happy times.

Well said and likewise I feel the same.

This place is not for me either so I too am deleting my account.

... and to help many of you to improve your medical condition, I'm going to close my account here. The bad apple leaves the basket!

No bad feelings, enjoy your Calis for many many years, as I hope I will enjoy my camper.

That's a shame, it would of been great to see your MP in person, if you're ever near Stockholm :)

We did look into that tremendous offer that Merc were running on the 4Matic, the promotional video alone was inspiring, we just decided we didn't want a new bus so didn't take the Ocean either, I think most on this forum are great but I understand your feelings, there is always going to be a lot of bias on here given that it's such a niche vehicle, but just get our there and enjoy your MP.

It's a shame people leave a forum because they feel unwelcome or get fed up with attitudes of others, but at least in this case a sister forum has been set up to cater for them so all is not lost.
I think the trouble is that the Cali is so much more than just a car - in our case it's a much lived member of the family that we associate with happy times and getting away from it all, and as such I guess some people feel protective towards it (perhaps over protective in some cases).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back