Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help -Cannot Decide!! (Coast, Ocean, Marco Polo or Nugget)

I have just sold my early T6 ocean and ordered an nugget.

I sold the Cali because-

-Roof rot was growing quick and the dealer said it wouldn’t rot as it had the ‘fix’

-I found the engine re calibration for the emissions recall crude (I’ve worked in diesel engine calibration)

-a couple of other issues that they wouldn’t fix at the end of warranty where still apparent, (door seal rust etc) the one seal they had changed meant my seatbelt height now longer adjusted.

-got a great cash sale price at a dealer

My experience with some Dealers & VW finance didn’t encourage me to spend more on a T6.1

I have gone for a nugget as

-I want a manual

-transit is a better drive, seat position, turning circle, transmission etc

-wesfallia are not new to campers or transits

-some of the dealers want to assert themselves as good camper dealers

-they are doing good discounts and 0% finance

-looking forward to trying the ‘Junior motor home’ layout

Can I ask what you managed to get one for? As they dont come up on Autoebid so hard to know what we can expect as a discount.

Cheers

A concern I would have with the Nugget is that everytime I see a rusty panel van, it has a Ford badge on the front.

Really? I am doing an house extension. My elecricirn has a 4 year old transit. Looks new. My builders have fords too... 2-3 years old. Look brand new. My plumber has a 58 registered vw. Rear door all rusted. Vw reliability and build quality is a myth ( read honest john). The DSG is a week point. The engine eats egr since the recall. I am not saying you are wrong but I am looking at it without vw fan boy pink tinted glasses. I think ford and vw are both average. If Toyota, honda or the corean had a camper, they would be of my list.

Can I ask what you managed to get one for? As they dont come up on Autoebid so hard to know what we can expect as a discount.

Cheers

Interested too. The frustrated bit is one can buy a tourneo ( the mpv 8 seaters) for 20k off so the ford is over pricing the base vehicule. I like the nugget layout more than the cali but the interior feels cheaper and the price is higher because no discount and the fact that you need to upgrade headlight, satnav and aircon on the ford ( and still get inferior product like manual aircon... actually come ford, asking for 1000 fora

Interested too. The frustrated bit is one can buy a tourneo ( the mpv 8 seaters) for 20k off so the ford is over pricing the base vehicule. I like the nugget layout more than the cali but the interior feels cheaper and the price is higher because no discount and the fact that you need to upgrade headlight, satnav and aircon on the ford ( and still get inferior product like manual aircon... actually come ford, asking for 1000 fora

For £20K today you could go Retro instead:

1602494252332.png

Really? I am doing an house extension. My elecricirn has a 4 year old transit. Looks new. My builders have fords too... 2-3 years old. Look brand new. My plumber has a 58 registered vw. Rear door all rusted. Vw reliability and build quality is a myth ( read honest john). The DSG is a week point. The engine eats egr since the recall. I am not saying you are wrong but I am looking at it without vw fan boy pink tinted glasses. I think ford and vw are both average. If Toyota, honda or the corean had a camper, they would be of my list.
We have owned Toyota’s for 30 years in our opinion they are by far the best marque. They brought a Campervan out about 2 years ago, but sadly it wasn’t right for us.

Thanks. Considering this type of options. Advantage is less electronics gadgetry which will fail and will be very expensive to fix.
I had one of those. It was a superb camping vehicle but quite an effort to drive away from motorways and A roads. Rust is becoming a real issue on the T4s too and I'd be wanting to look behind those chrome wheel arches before buying....

We have owned Toyota’s for 30 years in our opinion they are by far the best marque. They brought a Campervan out about 2 years ago, but sadly it wasn’t right for us.
Interesting. Ive had two from new. Corolla the 5th gear failed at 60k.
I had a landcruiser LC3 auto did 90k in 5 years. Failures were corroded calipers so seized (not plated ), a/c compressor failed, condenser leaked, a/c pipe corroded through - theme here. Chassis rusted despite having it treated new but it helped. Fortunately I didnt have the injector seal issue that destroyed many engines around 90k hence why I sold it.
Never bought a Toyota since.
The three shoguns I had beat it but had problems as well. The least problematic was a BMW X3.

Interesting. Ive had two from new. Corolla the 5th gear failed at 60k.
I had a landcruiser LC3 auto did 90k in 5 years. Failures were corroded calipers so seized (not plated ), a/c compressor failed, condenser leaked, a/c pipe corroded through - theme here. Chassis rusted despite having it treated new but it helped. Fortunately I didnt have the injector seal issue that destroyed many engines around 90k hence why I sold it.
Never bought a Toyota since.
The three shoguns I had beat it but had problems as well. The least problematic was a BMW X3.
Thanks for sharing. Maybe you’ve been unlucky or we’ve been lucky?Apart from the first Corolla every other Toyota we’ve had has been new. We’ve had 4 or 5 RAV4’s, an urban cruiser, auris and a Landcruiser which we sold to fiancé the California. We currently have a Yaris hybrid, 3 in November which we use for short journeys. We honestly have never had an issue with any of the Toyota’s we’ve owned. You can only speak as you find, the local Toyota dealer we use has always treated us really well so from every aspect we have a very positive view of Toyota. We were quite disappointed when Toyota’s debut Campervan didn’t suit us!!!!!

Big Toyota fan, ran a 2004 Prius to 100,000 miles only fault apart from the normal service items tyres/ brakes was a failed radio fuse.
Now have a 2014 Rav4 auto just past MOT, 76000 miles no repairs or failures apart from service, tyres/brakes.
Would buy a toyota camper or Motorhome if they were available.

Big Toyota fan, ran a 2004 Prius to 100,000 miles only fault apart from the normal service items tyres/ brakes was a failed radio fuse.
Now have a 2014 Rav4 auto just past MOT, 76000 miles no repairs or failures apart from service, tyres/brakes.
Would buy a toyota camper or Motorhome if they were available.
They do the Proace Lerina 4 Berth 180hp, we went and looked at one as soon as they came out about 18 mths/2 years ago. Really wanted to stay Toyota for a Campervan but it just wasn’t right for us :confused:

Cheers

£51k OTR
185 Man, the top ICE pack that come with ACC, tow bar prep, metallic paint. Think it came in 10k under list.
When I got £40k for a 4 year old Cali that I had lost confidence in it feels a good option.

£51k OTR
185 Man, the top ICE pack that come with ACC, tow bar prep, metallic paint. Think it came in 10k under list.
When I got £40k for a 4 year old Cali that I had lost confidence in it feels a good option.

Thanks for this....when I looked originally the OTR was £59k but had no idea what realistically they could be had for as normally you can get this info from Autoebid or Drive The Deal, but that vehicle isn't on there.

I do like the layout of the Nugget the best with the kitchen separate at the back, it just feels more of a gamble as there's so little on these Nuggets and we don't know the residuals yet or if they will have any teething problems.

I've decided to put off my decision till the depths of winter when I've thought a bit more about it and possibly there may be one or two 2nd hand campers going.

What is the lead time on your Nugget?

£51k OTR
Are you in England? No one mentio the ice pack to me. I cannot see how to send you a private message. Wanted to see which dealer you bought from.

Thanks for this....when I looked originally the OTR was £59k but had no idea what realistically they could be had for as normally you can get this info from Autoebid or Drive The Deal, but that vehicle isn't on there.

I do like the layout of the Nugget the best with the kitchen separate at the back, it just feels more of a gamble as there's so little on these Nuggets and we don't know the residuals yet or if they will have any teething problems.

I've decided to put off my decision till the depths of winter when I've thought a bit more about it and possibly there may be one or two 2nd hand campers going.

What is the lead time on your Nugget?

I ordered a stock vehicle that was in build. With a ~6 week lead time (4 to go)
They are quoting less than 3 months for a factory order.
I am fairly relaxed about the build quality and residual value (the finance quoted GMFV is robust) and the nugget is not a new van.
Westfalia Transit nuggets have been about a long time, the interior is largely unchanged, much like looking between a T5 SE (or even a T4) next to a T6.1 Ocean. It looks an equally well evolved; hopefully the official interaction with Ford does not disrupt this. Also Ford have a lot to prove so hopefully dealers will (and can) respond well to isssues, ordering, spec check and some of the daily life usage questions have been responded to quickly.
lots of fingers crossed moments and not a choice I rushed into but I’m optimistic.
And frankly have no interest in the brand snobbery that is so often on this site.

I am fairly relaxed about the build quality and residual value (the finance quoted GMFV is robust) and the nugget is not a new van.
Westfalia Transit nuggets have been about a long time, the interior is largely unchanged, much like looking between a T5 SE (or even a T4) next to a T6.1 Ocean. It looks an equally well evolved; hopefully the official interaction with Ford does not disrupt this. Also Ford have a lot to prove so hopefully dealers will (and can) respond well to isssues, ordering, spec check and some of the daily life usage questions have been responded to quickly.
lots of fingers crossed moments and not a choice I rushed into but I’m optimistic.
And frankly have no interest in the brand snobbery that is so often on this site.
I had to access the fridge on a friends conversion that has a similar layout to the Nugget, the roof was down and it was very awkward having to crouch and move sideways through the limited gap. No problem at all in the Cali or similar side kitchen vans. Of course the same access difficulty occurs when the children go to bed early in the upper bed, please try it first before committing.

When posters are saying Nugget are they meaning the pop top version or the high top version?
As @Bellcrew notes, I’m imagining use of the kitchen is tricky if the pop top roof down, especially for someone like me at 6’4?
With the roof up or with the high top, it’s a fab layout,creating a completely separate zone for cooking which is an amazing ‘add’ on bad days or if relations between campers are getting strained. (My Old T4 Westy Exclusive had a similar layout)

When posters are saying Nugget are they meaning the pop top version or the high top version?
As @Bellcrew notes, I’m imagining use of the kitchen is tricky if the pop top roof down, especially for someone like me at 6’4?
With the roof up or with the high top, it’s a fab layout,creating a completely separate zone for cooking which is an amazing ‘add’ on bad days or if relations between campers are getting strained. (My Old T4 Westy Exclusive had a similar layout)

The high top is not sold it the uk

A van that size is all about compromise. Stopping for a lunch on a rainy day with 5 people in the van will show the cali compromise....

Thanks. I do not understand this badge snobbery especially between a ford and a vw. Both mainstream brand.

Thanks. I do not understand this badge snobbery especially between a ford and a vw. Both mainstream brand.

Is it badge snobbery or just people explaining why they prefer one over the other?

You really can't come on a VW California website and expect everyone to start cooing over an alternative vehicle :)

For what it's worth I like the nugget, if it was more widely available I would have seriously considered one although in complete transparency have to say that in comparing any equivalent sized vehicle I probably would again opt for the Cali because of the reasons I've given in an earlier post. The one downside with the nugget, and it is an important feature for me, is it is all camper. I would not be able to do with it what I did with the Cali a few days ago which is to turn it into a van in order to carry a load of carpet and a bootneck brought along to carry and load it :) Otherwise I think the layout is brilliant and I doubt the new Ford would seriously rust in front of my eyes as others have suggested.

The MP price is from Autoebid - I've attached the screenshot.

I get your point "why bother" - but my point being I guess is that this is my first camper, who knows if I will take to it? Who knows if ill lost my job in 12 months due to covid redundancies etc etc....BUT, if it costs very little due to resale values being so good, then to me its a no brainer, lifes too short - why not try it and find out rather than play safe and never know l, always wondering "what if".....I have the money in the bank earning 1% so I'm hardly losing much in interest by using it to buy a van.

And who know...I may absolutely love it and keep it ten years!!

The point being, its not a huge financial risk - not like paying £55k for a car and it being worth £40k in 12 months.

View attachment 67324

i couldn’t get that to Show on autoebid and admittedly it’s a lot cheaper than an ocean. Is that just the base model or stacked with options?

and without wanting To start a huge debate, what’s the pros / cons of an MP over an ocean pls?