Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mercedes Marco Polo Latest Info 2017

Lived should be loved of course!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sad but the truth is you need a thick skin and sense of humour to own any campervan. Things go wrong or break and then the ability to laugh it off becomes essential. I think many buying into the MP are first timers and I hope they are not put off and can cope with the downsides as the PR of Mercedes paints an idylic lifestyle which is fine in sunny areas but not the reality up here.

Sad but the truth is you need a thick skin and sense of humour to own any campervan. Things go wrong or break and then the ability to laugh it off becomes essential. I think many buying into the MP are first timers and I hope they are not put off and can cope with the downsides as the PR of Mercedes paints an idylic lifestyle which is fine in sunny areas but not the reality up here.

How very true and not just Mercedes. Anyone looking on the VW website could be forgiven for thinking that when in a Cali the sun only shines, it never rains and a drink is always to hand!... and indeed I have very fond memories of a warm summers evening, sat outside, glass of wine, everything working perfectly.

Not so fond of a cold weekend in Wales and run out of gas, a miserable, dark rainy winter in Scotland, dark at 3pm and living inside a van in the wet and sods law that's when the lower bed jams in the runners, or time to rummage around in the dark in the boot with rain dripping off everywhere, or needing to rinse clothes out and "Ran out of water" flashes across the brain.

Campers are compromises on wheels and I do think a lot of people, including me when I first bought Albert, do not realise how much patience, ingenuity, trial and error it takes to arrive at that spot where it all falls into place and everything comes together to make for a stress free existence.

The option "large tank" is only 70 liters, what is the standard tank then?
The MP in Sweden is 20.000€ more than a California and a bit slower and then you don't even get the chairs or table as standard in the top spec. Nor is the remote to the heater standard, its a 450€ option.

I have been reading the MP forum's the problem is as it is so new in the UK only a very few members so not a lot going on yet and you can read all the posts in a few minutes ,One interesting post re a stuck up roof and another on the cost of service package

not many camping tips yet

Last edited:
I just watched the Polish guy’s video on the Cali, many of the points he made were valid (eg cupboard sliding doors) although a bit harsh in comparison with the MP; and I was beginning to think that the MP must be better. So much so that despite my own reservations on it, I was beginning to get excited that maybe here was our next van!

So both of us sat and watched the MP video on the big telly. We soon realised that we wouldn’t be able to live with the clutter in the back, the electric seats, the control panel down below and nowhere to put the Porta Potti. What use is the extra 24 cm in length if it’s not used wisely? The reviewer didn’t seem to be anywhere near as harsh on the MP’s faults as he was on the Cali’s. Tailgate too heavy? Put the chair back in then!

Hopefully VW will pick up on some of the ideas in the MP, I see they have already split the cooker and sink tops, maybe they will improve the cupboard doors so the rear one slides rearward behind the seat etc.

We would love to love the MP, it has a lot going for it and the dealer is only 2 miles from us, but I don’t think it’s for us unfortunately.

he was actually slating the Cali for its roof design and lack of circulation but in the MP it was a childhood joy, same with other common features.

I don't mind that he's a two day camper so much but he's not consistent so a massive pinch of salt required for anyone watching his Cali review.

His reviews were about a useful as any layman who knows nothing about the vehicles. The MP may be perceived as more up market but as any in the motor industry will confirm absolutely no better than VW.
And to those who complain about VW parts cost have a look at Mercedes servicing and other costings.

Horses for courses,
If i used it as a daily driver and did the occasional camping then it might work for me, it is a nice bus.
But for me it doesn´t have the pedigree that vw have.
20yr old good t4´s are still north of 15k
20yr old mp´s (vitos if you can find one) are worth 2 balloons and a mickey mouse hat.
Although the interior will be like new as it was made by westfalia.

"It hasn't got a loo....."
"the water tank is too small"
"it lacks some storage space"
"you have to open the door to swivel the seats"....

and so on ....

No. It's not an 9m slide-out 3 metres high, it's a camper, and if you cannot grasp the concept of a camper, less than 5m long, less than 2m high, able to go anywhere and the compromises necessary to ensure it can, then don't get into the camper / motorhome review business. Stay with comparing mondeo's and Astra's and fiesta's. This is my gripe. "I don't understand the concept, the needs of the camper or the desires of those who seek off-the-wall recreation but I'm going to walk around with a clipboard comparing Minutiae and pretending that I do".

Last edited:
I have been reading the MP forum's the problem is as it is so new in the UK only a very few members so not a lot going on yet and you can read all the posts in a few minutes ,One interesting post re a stuck up roof and another on the cost of service package
The level of misinformation on some postings on the MP forum does make me wonder how dreadful the level of knowledge about campervans is prevalent - reasons for heading towards the MP quoted as. lots of known issues with the VW vans, suspension coils snapping, the twin turbo engines blowing up after 60,000 miles, DPF filter faults and not a true automatic gearbox. The vw also as very short serving intervals at 10 months between services : engine has a cam belt and not chain drive like the MP so more big bills along the line. Also the fact that VW dealers are not that good at servicing the vans when they go wrong.

I checked regarding servicing costs for the MP and it as about twice what I pay my VW dealer. As for handling; if you cannot appreciate the stability and handing of the VW I am amazed.
My only concern is that there is a unnecessary rivalry between marques when the reality is a campervan is a campervan. One may be plusher but the other will do exactly what is required come rain or shine. And to be honest with my new leather seats the only plusher part of an MP is the dashboard and I like functionality over bling.

Returning from a fabulous thee week tour of France to Poole on the Barfleur last evening we were entranced by the two Morgan plus 8 sport cars parked in front of us, identical except for colour and quirky registration numbers. They were the focus of everyone's interest yet I have no doubt a Porsche owner could visit the Morgan owners club blogs and point out the various well known faults in the marque and boast the superiority of his chosen vehicle. I am sure some of the Morgan owners would indulge the visitors questionable manners and some would tell him where to go.
I understand that many people on here are open minded and are interested in alternatives to the California but sometimes it seems slightly odd that fans of one make would bother to visit another club to rubbish the "love object" of that site.

The reality is that the same is true with almost any topic on any forum. But the California v MP disagreements just seem to have become a bit more vocal and polarised.

Some people like lowered vans. Others think they look daft.
Some people like basic campsites. Others think they are little more than Aires.
Some people like bunting and fairylights. Others wouldn't give them van-room.
Some people cook in their vans. Others don't.
Some people like campsites with all the facilities. Others think that sounds like hell on earth.
Some people like sleeping bags. Others like duvets.
Some people like camping. Others like hotels.
Some people like VWs. Others like MPs.

Thankfully, we are all different.

Before we bought our Ocean, we considered the MP. Good points; bad points. We chose the VW.

But if someone wants a MP, that’s their choice. I may or may not think they’re crazy. That’s my choice. And I don’t have to justify my choice to them anymore than they have to justify theirs to me.

If I’m happy with what I bought, then I’m happy. And I’m happy.

You missed out the most divisive subject on this forum:

Ocean vs Beach

I’ll get my coat...

You missed out the most divisive subject on this forum:

Ocean vs Beach

I’ll get my coat...

no its not, its manual v DSG

or perhaps 2 v 4 wheel drive

The reality is that the same is true with almost any topic on any forum. But the California v MP disagreements just seem to have become a bit more vocal and polarised.

Some people like lowered vans. Others think they look daft.
Some people like basic campsites. Others think they are little more than Aires.
Some people like bunting and fairylights. Others wouldn't give them van-room.
Some people cook in their vans. Others don't.
Some people like campsites with all the facilities. Others think that sounds like hell on earth.
Some people like sleeping bags. Others like duvets.
Some people like camping. Others like hotels.
Some people like VWs. Others like MPs.

Thankfully, we are all different.

Before we bought our Ocean, we considered the MP. Good points; bad points. We chose the VW.

But if someone wants a MP, that’s their choice. I may or may not think they’re crazy. That’s my choice. And I don’t have to justify my choice to them anymore than they have to justify theirs to me.

If I’m happy with what I bought, then I’m happy. And I’m happy.
I had to join your forum so that I could reply to this post......It's brilliant and sums up my thoughts completely. I am new to campervans however I have backpacked, wild camped, cycle camped, family canvas tent camping, caravan and 12 years as a crewman in a tank so I have plenty experience of how to make the best of small spaces. When looking for a campervan I looked at VW Cali and MP and I loved both of them for the same and for different reasons, in the end I chose the MP and your post could not put it better.....It's my choice and I'm happy with it.....Happy days

I had to join your forum so that I could reply to this post......It's brilliant and sums up my thoughts completely. I am new to campervans however I have backpacked, wild camped, cycle camped, family canvas tent camping, caravan and 12 years as a crewman in a tank so I have plenty experience of how to make the best of small spaces. When looking for a campervan I looked at VW Cali and MP and I loved both of them for the same and for different reasons, in the end I chose the MP and your post could not put it better.....It's my choice and I'm happy with it.....Happy days

Firstly Welcome.

Yes, it is a totally individual thing.

The MP is a delightful vehicle. We all have different sets of priorities and for some the MP is better suited and for others the Cali is. I have looked hard at the MP and was very impressed, although sadly less impressed at the dealer presentation, but again something that will only get better as they get more experienced with the vehicle.

Have fun with your MP, that is what it is all about. The freedom, the lifestyle. Stay around if you wish. It's not just about the campervan it's about the lifestyle also and whilst we may all hold differing views of the vehicle we all share the same lifestyle.

Firstly Welcome.

Yes, it is a totally individual thing.

The MP is a delightful vehicle. We all have different sets of priorities and for some the MP is better suited and for others the Cali is. I have looked hard at the MP and was very impressed, although sadly less impressed at the dealer presentation, but again something that will only get better as they get more experienced with the vehicle.

Have fun with your MP, that is what it is all about. The freedom, the lifestyle. Stay around if you wish. It's not just about the campervan it's about the lifestyle also and whilst we may all hold differing views of the vehicle we all share the same lifestyle.
Very well put :thumb

I've spent a bit of time on the MP forum over the last couple of days as I have a genuine interest in the van.
It's interesting to see that there are already problems arising with dodgy batteries leaving roofs stuck up, which perhaps isn't surprising bearing in mind that everything seems to be electrically operated - roof, side door, tailgate, rear seat etc.
Also I see they've got their first odious member already, the type who can really spoil a forum and has get members leaving already.
Is terry1956 on here?
At least @braysaway has stood up to him!

I've spent a bit of time on the MP forum over the last couple of days as I have a genuine interest in the van.
It's interesting to see that there are already problems arising with dodgy batteries leaving roofs stuck up, which perhaps isn't surprising bearing in mind that everything seems to be electrically operated - roof, side door, tailgate, rear seat etc.
Also I see they've got their first odious member already, the type who can really spoil a forum and has get members leaving already.
Is terry1956 on here?

The stuck roof turned out to be a brand new owner who didn’t know the correct sequence to get the roof down and not a battery / electical problem. I have not seen any posts on the MP site with any significant problems, however it is early days for the van in the UK.

Is terry1956 on here?

Well whatever you think about Terry’s posts it seems unnecessarily unkind to call him out by (user) name and call him odious. You seem to be displaying the very behaviour that you are arguing spoils a forum.

Due to the close ties between the two forums I thought it quite likely that a lot of members here might've seen it. And I was genuinely interested to know whether he was on this forum. As it's such a new forum it struck me as a bit odd that there is already somebody on there making waves and upsetting people.
Just making an observation but whatever.

Due to the close ties between the two forums I thought it quite likely that a lot of members here might've seen it. And I was genuinely interested to know whether he was on this forum. As it's such a new forum it struck me as a bit odd that there is already somebody on there making waves and upsetting people.
Just making an observation but whatever.

You are spectacularly missing the point. Just before you asked if he was on here you called him odious. It’s that I’m objecting to.

This week we noticed that our local MB dealer had a MP on display and called in to have a look as I am definitely up for a more plush camper experience. The staff got 10 out of 10 for ignoring us, they couldn't have done a better job, so we were able to get an unhindered look at the vehicle. First impression was it looked smarter but much bigger on the outside than the Cali, however the living space seemed, if anything, smaller. It appeared to me that the additional length was used up by the longer bonnet and possibly more room for the driver/passenger. There were some really nice touches such as the glass surround for the gas burners but then they spoiled it by making the sink so small it looked next to useless. I really wanted to love this vehicle but it didn't do it for me and I think anyone who buys one to use as a camper will be disappointed, particularly if they go away in it for any length of time.

This is just my hopefully unbiased opinion, I'm not wed to VW and if the MP had been a better camper than the Cali I would have found a dealer who would speak to me and ordered one, but sadly it isn't.

As far as I remember he was on here and left the forum after some heated exchanges with other forum members. In fact I believe it was earlier in this very thread. I personally have had no issue with him.

Back