Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

When did you last need your diff lock?

Did someone above say this is an £800 option...?
On a £70k vehicle it’s not worth even considering leaving it off.
Just tick the box... :thumb

It’s not a Torsen it’s Haldex. That reads like a description of the Touareg centre diff (Torsen).
Obviously you didn't click on the Link I provided from VW.
I've done it for you.

Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 13.02.51.jpg

This explains it from VW. Front wheel drive except when it isn’t.

I suggest you look at the 4Motion system on the Transporter NOT the Golf.

I suggest you look at the 4Motion system on the Transporter NOT the Golf.
I did, its the same HALDEX (as we are using capitals now) that is in the golf. The Amarok has a Torsen diff and is a completely different design. Maybe go and have a read of YOUR post here which does a very good job of explaining how the Haldex works???????

This is the best reference I can find on it, which is pretty clear. It’s old but still seems to cover current 4Mo set up.
There is a more recent one, (SP-414) on the current Haldex IV system, but only available in german...

Attachments

• ssp_414-4motion-mit-allradkupplung-gen-iv.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
I did, its the same HALDEX (as we are using capitals now) that is in the golf. The Amarok has a Torsen diff and is a completely different design. Maybe go and have a read of YOUR post here which does a very good job of explaining how the Haldex works???????
Not concerned how the Haldex works but the fact that the Transporter 4Motion is not predominantly FWD, but the opposite, split 40/60 Front to Rear.

Not concerned how the Haldex works but the fact that the Transporter 4Motion is not predominantly FWD, but the opposite, split 40/60 Front to Rear.
So why did you put 90% front 10% rear (which is right) in your post I referenced? One would think when in a hole....

So why did you put 90% front 10% rear (which is right) in your post I referenced? One would think when in a hole....
Because I found a subsequent article/page from VW Commercial.:thumb

Here is a really good overview of capabilities. Vans will get most places, but slowly compared to a proper 4x4. Nevertheless I found this quite impressive. Watch to spot the Ocean.

7:41 - No Diff Lock. If a 4Motion with no diff can do that, unless the OP wants to do even more extreme stuff, no need for diff. lock on a Cali , in my opinion.

Lovely photos Maeve.
Congratulations on being the first to give an actual account of when you last (didn’t) use a diff lock! I wonder whether some more aggressive tyres would have got you out of trouble though. It looks as though you had nice low-profile ones which would almost certainly be better suited for road use.
The point of my original post was that it’s all very well driving around with a diff lock ‘just in case’ but once you are stuck it’s a bit late to get out and change your wheels. How many people drive around all the time with off-road tyres. ‘just in case’?

You could get also some experience to get out of situations without diff lock, just in case. That skill can be brought with also when driving other vehicles.
On the other hand you seem to wanted to be convinced that you need it. Just order it, you'll get 60% of your money back on that option when you sell it.

You could get also some experience to get out of situations without diff lock, just in case. That skill can be brought with also when driving other vehicles.
On the other hand you seem to wanted to be convinced that you need it. Just order it, you'll get 60% of your money back on that option when you sell it.
In the UK if selling to a Dealer the basic price is used and no allowance for extras is added. Extras can make it easier to sell but very much doubt that a Diff lock would add £400 to the resale value.

In the UK if selling to a Dealer the basic price is used and no allowance for extras is added. Extras can make it easier to sell but very much doubt that a Diff lock would add £400 to the resale value.
We change our Cali regularly. Selling them privately while they have relatively low mileage and warranty cover. So far this has worked very well for us. Sell it to a dealer, P/X or outright, of course he'll give you sweet FA for your expensive options, that's he's job, to make a profit.

Popped in for final paperwork today. Seems my van is definitely front wheel drive but will put 50% of the power to the rear when I push this button...
C22FE6DC-0473-4CF8-B3B2-8315D2A0A161.jpeg

Lovely photos Maeve.
Congratulations on being the first to give an actual account of when you last (didn’t) use a diff lock! I wonder whether some more aggressive tyres would have got you out of trouble though. It looks as though you had nice low-profile ones which would almost certainly be better suited for road use.
The point of my original post was that it’s all very well driving around with a diff lock ‘just in case’ but once you are stuck it’s a bit late to get out and change your wheels. How many people drive around all the time with off-road tyres. ‘just in case’?
Hi Herman, they are Michelin Latitude Cross's next step up would have been BFG's which arguably might have run into the same issue due to the extremely loose mud i found myself sink into.

Hi Herman, they are Michelin Latitude Cross's next step up would have been BFG's which arguably might have run into the same issue due to the extremely loose mud i found myself sink into.
I think the Pirelli Scorpion AT+ fits very well between the MLC and the BFG I have just changed from MLC to PS AT+

Fair enough Maeve, my apologies. Sh.. happens.

7:41 - No Diff Lock. If a 4Motion with no diff can do that, unless the OP wants to do even more extreme stuff, no need for diff. lock on a Cali , in my opinion.
Totally agree and a valid point. My experience is the more you can reduce wheel spin the better, so locking the axles on a manual is ultimately the best setup. Introducing auto makes slow speed control harder and relying on electronic anti spin systems makes things harder, although not impossible.

what the diff lock does is remove some of the issues, so you can pull away slower reducing wheel spin which should be the aim. It allows you to have 3 wheels driving where 4motion can be reduced to 1 on each axle. Suspect the only way to “see” the difference would be to drive back to back.

Back