Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Diff Lock Stuck On - T6 4 Motion Cali Ocean

S

Steve Hart

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I thought I would try my Cali buddies first to see if anyone has had the same issue on a Cali Ocean 4 Motion. After a week away in the sun (without the Cali), when I went to use the van the amber warning diff light was on the dashboard. Even when I tried to turn it off and on via the normal button the diff lock seems to be stuck on. When I tried to drive it it was definitely on but pushing the button to turn it off the diff lock still remained on. Sounds like an expensive repair but thought I would ask first? Currently the van is sat in the driveway and we are not able to use it and there is no garage that can fit it in until February!

Many thanks all, any help appreciated.

Steve

I thought I would try my Cali buddies first to see if anyone has had the same issue on a Cali Ocean 4 Motion. After a week away in the sun (without the Cali), when I went to use the van the amber warning diff light was on the dashboard. Even when I tried to turn it off and on via the normal button the diff lock seems to be stuck on. When I tried to drive it it was definitely on but pushing the button to turn it off the diff lock still remained on. Sounds like an expensive repair but thought I would ask first? Currently the van is sat in the driveway and we are not able to use it and there is no garage that can fit it in until February!

Many thanks all, any help appreciated.

Steve
DO NOT DRIVE. Different system I know but on my Defender the Diff Lock jammed on and wrecked the gear box.
The Diff Lock is designed for low speed, slippery conditions. Driving on the road the diff cannot respond to corners etc: as it is locked and can lead to serious problems. If you are under warranty or have VW Assistance then phone them. It is run by the AA but insist on a VW Assistance technician. They have priority with VW Dealerships and can also arrange a replacement vehicle.

Just a possibility to try if you can.

Jack rear up, put on axle stands, with help try rotating the wheels by hand both sides simultaneously in opposite directions to each other. To & fro action.
It might release the lock, worth a try.

ps you aren't the first to have this problem.

I had this on an old Nissan Narvara, I think it ended up having some sensors replaced

If you are on flat ground, try rolling backwards gently to see if it releases. Generally would expect to fail off not on, so could be the solenoid that has failed hence the warning light. Only way to test is to get a rear wheel in the air, preferably both, and see if they turn independently.

DO NOT DRIVE. Different system I know but on my Defender the Diff Lock jammed on and wrecked the gear box.
The Diff Lock is designed for low speed, slippery conditions. Driving on the road the diff cannot respond to corners etc: as it is locked and can lead to serious problems. If you are under warranty or have VW Assistance then phone them. It is run by the AA but insist on a VW Assistance technician. They have priority with VW Dealerships and can also arrange a replacement vehicle.
Ok thanks WelshGas, I thought that would be the case, its still under warranty with the dealer we brought it from so will get them to recover and sort the problem.

Just a possibility to try if you can.

Jack rear up, put on axle stands, with help try rotating the wheels by hand both sides simultaneously in opposite directions to each other. To & fro action.
It might release the lock, worth a try.

ps you aren't the first to have this problem.
Many thanks BJG, appreciate your response.

If you are on flat ground, try rolling backwards gently to see if it releases. Generally would expect to fail off not on, so could be the solenoid that has failed hence the warning light. Only way to test is to get a rear wheel in the air, preferably both, and see if they turn independently.
Thanks Tarquers

Ok thanks WelshGas, I thought that would be the case, its still under warranty with the dealer we brought it from so will get them to recover and sort the problem.
If you are under warranty, VW Assistance will get it sorted a lot quicker than February and will recover. They have priority access to the Dealers.

Back