Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Diff lock in use

Tarquers

Tarquers

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Visiting friends last night on the polish-Czech border only after driving 200m up their snow covered and frozen drive we discovered that there was no space to turn around as there had been a big dump of snow and their own car was stuck at the top of the drive.

When leaving after a few hours (more snow) started reversing down the drive and at the point where I had had a bit of trouble on the way in (I walked the drive before backing out) the van slid off the road and into a bank of snow, ending up with two wheels in a ditch and the drivers side (U.K. passenger) wedged against the bank. Luckily we slipped that way not the other as there were two lakes to the other side.

After much digging to remove the snow from under the body we got out but not without some effort. With traction control on, the drive system seems to aggressively spin the wheels even after releasing the throttle and 4motion only engages once there is spin, so at low speed, low traction the systems make things worse.

Using the diff lock and disabling traction control it is possible to rock the van backwards and forwards without wheelspin until there is enough momentum to go forwards or backwards to move. This works because the diff lock effectively engages the front and rear wheels together which gives 3 wheel drive and helps greatly.

The DSG is a major limiting factor in these situations, especially when moving from forward to reverse gears, needing to hold the van on the brake at the end of each rock rather than allowing momentum to help. The throttle response is also poor meaning that sometimes a lot of throttle needs to be used before the DSG engages power so you have to be heavy on the throttle and then let off quickly before spin happens. Only time I have missed a manual gearbox and if I was going to be doing this a lot, I would prefer manual.

Overall once the technique was mastered, we came out reasonably quickly and once back on the packed ice, handling and control were superb. I doubt full winter tyres would have helped much over the Agilis 4 seasons and otherwise these tyres have been fantastic in the snow. Very glad I packed a shovel and other bits of recovery gear. I would also recommend anyone buying a 4motion to spec the diff lock if you are planning on being anywhere near a decent snow fall!

Did you try just putting gentle power on to engage DSG forward then taking power off to disengage DSG - letting Cali roll back - then power on again repeatedly?

Did you try just putting gentle power on to engage DSG forward then taking power off to disengage DSG - letting Cali roll back - then power on again repeatedly?
I tried this yes, but I found a reluctance to give drive when we’ll bogged in. I was surprised how much throttle was needed to get a bit of motion and start the rock, maybe some sort of anti stall in the software. With ESP on forget anything sort of control. Should have recorded it but I was having too much fun

I tried this yes, but I found a reluctance to give drive when we’ll bogged in. I was surprised how much throttle was needed to get a bit of motion and start the rock, maybe some sort of anti stall in the software. With ESP on forget anything sort of control. Should have recorded it but I was having too much fun
Yes ESP/Traction control is advised to turned off by most vehicle Manufacturer.

DSG programme remap helps with the control of when it engages.

Quick update decided to experiment today while getting out of a snowed in parking space along the edge of a pliéed road. All Season tyres, 20cm of packed snow, 4motion 150 beach.

First Attempt. All settings standard, reverse gear. Traction lost repeatedly through offside front spinning out and all other wheels losing drive (van rolled forwards while wheel span).

Second Attempt. ESP turned off. Similar result, less cutting of power but excessive wheel spin on front right wheel again limiting motion.

Third Attempt. ESP on, diff lock engaged. Reversed out over the ridge of snow/ice, initial slip of front right but minimal and no spin from other wheels.

Hardly a scientific experiment as alternative would have been shovels and chains, but my takeaway is that manoeuvring at slow speeds in snow/ice, 4motion on its own adds next to nothing without a diff lock.

A mate with an Amarok and the different 4motion system also needed a diff lock to free from the next parking space despite more aggressive tyres and permanent AWD so pleased I drove out.

@Tarquers it sounds like you’re getting good value from your diff lock. Your experience above - sliding backwards down a hill - sounds scary!

Without lessening the merit of a diff lock, proper (brand name) snow tyres , would have been a definite advantage over all seasons.
I wonder, if carrying and using some maxtrax equivalent in such occasions, wouldn't be the most effective solution. But yes, I agree, in these occasions the diff lock makes a huge difference.

Without lessening the merit of a diff lock, proper (brand name) snow tyres , would have been a definite advantage over all seasons.
I wonder, if carrying and using some maxtrax equivalent in such occasions, wouldn't be the most effective solution. But yes, I agree, in these occasions the diff lock makes a huge difference.
I had come to the same conclusion about Maxtrax, Especially when visiting friends with long unploughed drives!

I will try winter tyres next season as we are skiing most weekends and will be interested to compare results, the Amarok I mentioned was on full winters and still struggled but still, probably a better option.

@Tarquers it sounds like you’re getting good value from your diff lock. Your experience above - sliding backwards down a hill - sounds scary!
We are lucky enough to live about 2 hours from some good skiing which makes a day trip possible. Having a heated mobile changing room makes a lot of sense. It’s definitely not comparable to a full on 4x4 on big tyres and lifted suspension but it is a whole lot more comfortable on the drive back than that type of vehicle.

Quick update decided to experiment today while getting out of a snowed in parking space along the edge of a pliéed road. All Season tyres, 20cm of packed snow, 4motion 150 beach.

First Attempt. All settings standard, reverse gear. Traction lost repeatedly through offside front spinning out and all other wheels losing drive (van rolled forwards while wheel span).

Second Attempt. ESP turned off. Similar result, less cutting of power but excessive wheel spin on front right wheel again limiting motion.

Third Attempt. ESP on, diff lock engaged. Reversed out over the ridge of snow/ice, initial slip of front right but minimal and no spin from other wheels.

Hardly a scientific experiment as alternative would have been shovels and chains, but my takeaway is that manoeuvring at slow speeds in snow/ice, 4motion on its own adds next to nothing without a diff lock.

A mate with an Amarok and the different 4motion system also needed a diff lock to free from the next parking space despite more aggressive tyres and permanent AWD so pleased I drove out.
Thanks very much for this detailed outline.

We have a DSG 4Motion Ocean 204 with diff lock. I’ve not yet had the need to use the diff lock. I have wondered however what I will do if/when it becomes necessary.

Have I understood correctly that in a situation where diff lock will make a difference, I simply leave ESP switched on as normal and simply push the button for diff lock?

Thanks again!

My experience was that ESP makes little difference when the diff lock is engaged but I didn’t test any further. Hard to know what does and doesn’t get engaged or disengaged when the ESP is pressed as I suspect it doesn’t turn everything off.

Thanks for this. I need to find myself some snow for some experimenting!

We have a DSG 4Motion Ocean 204 with diff lock. I’ve not yet had the need to use the diff lock. I have wondered however what I will do if/when it becomes necessary.

Have I understood correctly that in a situation where diff lock will make a difference, I simply leave ESP switched on as normal and simply push the button for diff lock?

You might find this interesting. Be sure to keep an eye on the bottom left while the video is playing.

Our avatar shows the van on one of the occasions when we needed the diff lock. This is outside our house in the Pyrenees. Once dug out and chains on the front we had no problems at all moving around. Full winter tyres and diff lock when needed. Personally I don't like DSG so had no problems with the manual in situations like this.

Thanks very much for this video! It's a VERY practical demonstration!
It shows there is really only one specific situation in which you may struggle without DiffLock. It would be interesting to see what happens applying brakes/hand brake so all spinning wheels will reduce their spinnng transferring torque to the remaining non spinning wheel.

Back