Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VED REDUCED!!

Date of first registration will be on your logbook at the top. Just checked mine and its correct., i.e the day it was dropped off to me.

M
thanks. ours was registered on the day we collected, 20th March, I am absolutely sure about this as there was a delay in our payment going through and nearly were not able to complete the transaction and therefore, register, which was done, only when all monies received by dealer later on the same day.
if it’s registered as M1 with body type MPV the correct tax is the £150 a year + the £350 over £40k supplement.

M

if it’s registered as M1 with body type MPV the correct tax is the £150 a year + the £350 over £40k supplement.
So it’s no different from mine that says mpv on the logbook ? And is around 450 a year after the first year?
I thought I had been had over by dvla for a minute

Can you apply to DVLA to reclassify as a Motothome?

Apparently not although I stand to be corrected. Once the class has been set HMRC rules prevent it from being emended.
I recall a few years ago you were able to reclassify the Cali as PLG I think. There was a letter posted on here from a VWVC that a member used to get DLLA to change the classification. I can’t find it but it may still be relevant as we managed to change our 54 plate cali and save some tax

Think that the £40K supplement won't apply either with the PLG category???

I'm confused. My registration document gives model as California SE TDI 180 A; body type as Motor Caravan and taxation class as Diesel Car. It's the taxation class that count isn't it?
If what @SusiBus says is correct, VED on my 2013 Cali is going to be higher than that on a new one.
I'm even more confused having read through the above, as the vehicle category is M1.
It's obviously still the taxation class that governs VED so where does the description Motor home, MPV or other fit in, if at all?

I'm even more confused having read through the above, as the vehicle category is M1.
It's obviously still the taxation class that governs VED so where does the description Motor home, MPV or other fit in, if at all?
Body type

No Motor home class, Motor Caravan was and may be now reapplied to Cali's especially now that the Beach is no longer imported, for now.

Can you apply to DVLA to reclassify as a Motothome?
Hi,

Just read this re retrospective reclassification, it would appear not. Hope the link below helps

Also published from the HMRC web site.
Who is likely to be affected
This will affect owners of motorhomes (type approved M1SA) first registered from 12 March 2020.

General description of the measure
From 12 March 2020, new motorhomes (type approved M1SA) will no longer need to provide their CO2 emissions figure when they register the vehicle. As a result, new motorhomes will be included in the Private/Light Goods VED class or the Private HGV VED class if they weigh over 3,500kg.

Then, from 1 April 2021, VED for new motorhomes will be aligned with the Light Goods Vehicle VED class M1SA vehicles are defined as motor caravans in Part A of Annex II to Directive 2007/46/EC. The minimum requirement is that a motor caravan includes seats and a table; sleeping accommodation; and cooking and storage facilities.

Policy objective
This measure ensures that new motorhomes with the latest engine technology do not attract significant VED increases as a result of Commission Regulation (EU) 2017/1151. This requires any multi-stage build, including those type approved M1SA, to record the carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions and fuel consumption on their certificate of conformity.

Background to the measure
This measure was announced at Budget 2020 and will be legislated for in Finance Bill 2020.

Detailed proposal
Operative date
The change in the law will apply from 12 March 2020.

Motorhomes (type approved M1SA) first registered prior to 12 March 2020, with an eligible CO2 emissions figure, will pay graduated VED as a petrol or diesel car.

Current law
Section 1 of the Vehicle and Registration Act (VERA) 1994 provides for the charging of VED. Section 2 of VERA provides that VED in respect of a vehicle of any description is chargeable by reference to the applicable rate specified in Schedule 1 of VERA.

Proposed revisions
Paragraph 1GA, Schedule 1 to VERA will be amended to exclude vehicles which are M1SA type-approved, as defined in Pt 5.1 of Annex II to Directive 2007/46/EC.

The latest DVLA definition of a motor caravan has a specific list off requirements including externally an awning and a high top roof, noting that a pop top does not comply!

We got our Cali, new on March 20. paid 1280 first years VED. end of March SORN, and received a refund of, I think 435 being 11 months remaining TAX for the year. Note the comments above, including that rate of new charge (270 pa) cannot be backdated, but also checked re intro rate date, and the new rates came into effect on 12 March, a week before we registered our vehicle. Should we not have paid the lesser rate? should I get in touch with dealer or with DVLA? Do i understand correctly that the new rate of 270 now continues ad infinitum, rather than the previous 475 for the first five years as was previously stated. much appreciated.
I’m curious on this too , as £475 road tax was an unwelcome surprise when I picked up my nearly new Cali Beach in Nov 19, as my old Diesel Verso 2.0 is £130.. do doesn’t anyone know if £270 will be the renewal in Nov 20

You've got to think long term - after 6 years it will be down to £150 a year at todays rates

I’m curious on this too , as £475 road tax was an unwelcome surprise when I picked up my nearly new Cali Beach in Nov 19, as my old Diesel Verso 2.0 is £130.. do doesn’t anyone know if £270 will be the renewal in Nov 20
I believe its around £450 for the first 5 years then drops.

I worked out that if you avoided the initial VED by being the second owner then after 9 years the panel van conversion vs cali VED balanced, as Cali as an mpv dropped to £145.

I got my Cali new (first registered) in Jan 2019. The VED was included in the price I paid the dealer (£1295). It has been SORN since 1/01/2020. So I have just applied to tax it now and on the DVLA website its going to be £475. On the V5C form the vehicle body type is 'Motor Caravan', taxation class 'Diesel Car' and vehicle category 'M1'. This is what it says on the HMRC document V149 'Rates of vehicle tax'. This £475 is made up of £150 tax + £325 'additional rate' for vehicles with a list price of over £40k at first registration. It says you pay this rate for 5 years from the second licence, i.e. years 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. 'andyinluton' above is correct. Some additional info that might be useful for readers - my Cali has CO2 emissions of 179g/Km. If my Cali was bought today the first years VED would be £1305 and thereafter £270/yr. So those like me will be paying more VED each year than someone buying new since 1/04/2020. Unfair isn't it!!!!

Some pre Bluemotion T5.1 four motions are £580 a year even more unfair!

Think that the £40K supplement won't apply either with the PLG category???
Our T6.1 will (hopefully) be on it's way from Germany soon, so it looks like we will benefit from £325 first year VED (including the £55 registration fee) rather than the £1,335 previously. However, looking at this DVLA document it would also appear that as a Cali is no longer a "car", and is now classified as a PLG vehicle, we also avoid the £40k+ "supplement" of £475 per year for years 2 to 6. Would others concur?

DVLA V149 Rates of Vehicle Tax

Our T6.1 will (hopefully) be on it's way from Germany soon, so it looks like we will benefit from £325 first year VED (including the £55 registration fee) rather than the £1,335 previously. However, looking at this DVLA document it would also appear that as a Cali is no longer a "car", and is now classified as a PLG vehicle, we also avoid the £40k+ "supplement" of £475 per year for years 2 to 6. Would others concur?

You are correct. Although the figure of £1,335 would have risen in April to around £1,800.

My figures are based on how my Cali was categorised last year (Jan 2019). If DVLA has decided to change the classification of a Cali to something different (which I find very unfair) then the rates I quote above may not apply.

I’m not sure they have this only applies to motorhomes apparently and a cali is now an mpv.
To be classed as a motorhome believe it or not it has to have a fixed high roof and outside decals to define it as a motorhome.
Pls correct me if the information I read is wrong
So the California will not ?
Subthree have you asked your dealer what yours will be classed as?

Back