Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DVLA delays in registering vehicle

H

Hamish S

Making up for the years spoilt by school and work
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
My new T6.1 Ocean has been sat at the dealers since before lockdown and so I'm told cannot be registered online with DVLA and therefore, due to the new VED rates, must be registered by sending a V55 to DVLA via snail mail. The V55, so I'm told by the dealer, was sent to DVLA weeks ago but so far no registration docs have been received back. Is anyone else suffering from this delay? Does anyone know if their new T6.1 has been registered online post the opening up of car showrooms?

I sold my motorbike 4 few weeks ago, and the buyer chased me this week saying the V5 hadn't arrived yet (I sent it a couple of days after it was picked up)

Cheers, best plan is not to hold by breath then.........:(

My new T6.1 Ocean has been sat at the dealers since before lockdown and so I'm told cannot be registered online with DVLA and therefore, due to the new VED rates, must be registered by sending a V55 to DVLA via snail mail. The V55, so I'm told by the dealer, was sent to DVLA weeks ago but so far no registration docs have been received back. Is anyone else suffering from this delay? Does anyone know if their new T6.1 has been registered online post the opening up of car showrooms?
I have just spoken to my dealer and asked this question. He responded that they register all vehicles online and it takes less than 48 hours for the DVLA to confirm after they submit the online application. I was told they have not had any recent issues. I have no experience myself so can neither confirm or deny. Hope it gets sorted asap.

I did a simple change of address request by post about 3 weeks ago.
Still waiting.........

Mike

I have just spoken to my dealer and asked this question. He responded that they register all vehicles online and it takes less than 48 hours for the DVLA to confirm after they submit the online application. I was told they have not had any recent issues. I have no experience myself so can neither confirm or deny. Hope it gets sorted asap.
Cheers for that; some ammo to fire at the dealer, will be on the phone to them in just a mo.........

Cheers for that; some ammo to fire at the dealer, will be on the phone to them in just a mo.........
I'm in the same position. As they are registering new California's as Motorhomes, under the new lower VED rules that came in after the last budget, I've been told it has to be done by post at the moment. Hence the delay. If you do speak to the dealer, and find out anything, please can you let me know.

Regards

Andy

If I get any positive news I will update you. Fingers crossed DVLA get their act together. Apparently there is a separate section for processing V55 's and they are up and running as they deal with Ambulance conversions and the like, not sure if that helps!

Bought a new motorcycle 2weeks ago they registered it while I was in the shop and the v5 arrived 5days after I was amazed how quick

The DVLA are struggling at the moment, a vast number of their staff are on furlough or working from home with limited resources.

Their main building is a 1970's high rise office block with open plan offices, social distancing gives them big issues that they are trying to work out.

driving-and-vehicle-licensing-agency-or-dvla-offices-aerial-view-swansea-DYY11A.jpg

I believe that they have secured a lease on another site in the local area. That's not going to be a quick fix.

I think that the DVLA will start becoming an News topic as lockdown eases and demand rises.

Use on-line where possible and if you are going to need your passport this summer don't post it in .

I don't work at the DVLA,this is my view after speaking with people who do. Not that it helps your issues but may help you take an on- line route if available .

July BBC News

Alf

Last edited:
Cheers Alf, unfortunately my dealer informs me that you can't register your Cali as a Motorhome online at the moment and have to send them a V55 so it's slowly slowly catch a monkey time..........

Just to confirm what is the the 1st year VED, just seen this from the latest brochure, is that correct?

Delivery to Van Centre ÂŁ620.00
Number plates ÂŁ20.00
VAT ÂŁ128.00
First registration fee ÂŁ55.00
Vehicle excise duty (VED) 1st year ÂŁ270.00

And there lies the rub. Yup according to my dealer those are the correct values if you register your new cali as a motorhome. Register it as a MPV and it's a different ballgame and potentially a lot more expensive. Upside of registering as a motorhome big cash saving downside long delay getting vehicle registered.

The California configurator is still showing includes ÂŁ1850 for VED but the price list brochure ÂŁ270.

V
The California configurator is still showing includes ÂŁ1850 for VED but the price list brochure ÂŁ270.
When they update it - which they are notoriously slow at, I wouldn't be surprised to see another price increase.

The configurator is showing the MPV price i.e. what the price would have been pre April. But the new, April onwards, rules allow the cali to be registered as a Motorhome for which the VED this year is ÂŁ270, money in the bank......... until VW put the prices up........

Not just a VW problem. We were hoping to pick up our new Hymer Campervan this week and have the same problem. Very frustrating when we have now received the go ahead for camping from next weekend!

Hmm. Albeit ours was secondhand, we purchased our Ocean on Friday, and the V5C came in the post today.

May be lost?

You were lucky, wish mine was that quick..

We are picking up our Hymer Campervan tomorrow (was touch and go earlier this week) so obviously some DVLA applications are being actioned. Fingers crossed your calis get sorted soon

We are picking up our Hymer Campervan tomorrow (was touch and go earlier this week) so obviously some DVLA applications are being actioned. Fingers crossed your calis get sorted soon
If you don't mind me asking, when did you buy your Hymer? I'm just trying to put the wait in context with my own. I purchased my Cali on the 20th May.

Andy

If you don't mind me asking, when did you buy your Hymer? I'm just trying to put the wait in context with my own. I purchased my Cali on the 20th May.

Andy
When you say "purchased on 20 May", have you collected your t6.1? I assume not if you are waiting for the DVLA. Sorry, bit confused.

When you say "purchased on 20 May", have you collected your t6.1? I assume not if you are waiting for the DVLA. Sorry, bit confused.
Mines actually one of the last T6 Cali's. Brand new, In Stock, and unregistered. So I paid my deposit and committed to buy it on the 20th May. So now ordering etc, just waiting for DVLA.

Back