Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A thought has just come to me!

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
If a chap were to retro fit the T6-1 pop up kitchen into his 2019 T6 Beach, he would then be legally obliged to tell the DVLA about the change. As far as I am able to determine, would not said Beach then be classed as a motor caravan and therefore attract a lower rate of VED? If I'm right then the chap concerned should then enjoy a not inconsiderable saving on VED costs over the next few years. That saving would go some way to offseting the cost of the pop up kitchen.

Further info:
Example: VW California Beach purchased new in October 2019 and the VED is due for renewal from November 1st at a rate of £482.50 pa. The vehicle body type is currently recorded as MPV and the vehicle CAT is M1.

Current unknown factors:
1. Annual cost of VED if reclassified as a motor caravan? Is it £270 pa?
2. Discounting this years renewal as it's now too close, how many years would a saving be made on VED until the lower rate kicks in. Is it 3 or 4 years? I understand that it's 4 years.
3. What would the total VED saving be?
4. Cost of all the parts required to fit the pop up kitchen to factory spec?
5. Total cost of pop up stove having deducted future VED savings?

Now I am not saying that the potential saving on VED would finance the pop up kitchen. It probably wouldn't even come close but at least it might make such a project viable.

Discuss.

From what I can work out I think the answer to 3. Is £848.

Last edited:
If a chap were to retro fit the T6-1 pop up kitchen into his 2019 T6 Beach, he would then be legally obliged to tell the DVLA about the change. As far as I am able to determine, would not said Beach then be classed as a motor caravan and therefore attract a lower rate of VED? If I'm right then the chap concerned should then enjoy a not inconsiderable saving on VED costs over the next few years. That saving would go some way to offseting the cost of the pop up kitchen.

Further info:
Example: VW California Beach purchased new in October 2019 and the VED is due for renewal from November 1st at a rate of £482.50 pa. The vehicle body type is currently recorded as MPV and the vehicle CAT is M1.

Current unknown factors:
1. Annual cost of VED if reclassified as a motor caravan? Is it £270 pa?
2. Discounting this years renewal as it's now too close, how many years would a saving be made on VED until the lower rate kicks in. Is it 3 or 4 years? I understand that it's 4 years.
3. What would the total VED saving be?
4. Cost of all the parts required to fit the pop up kitchen to factory spec?
5. Total cost of pop up stove having deducted future VED savings?

Now I am not saying that the potential saving on VED would finance the pop up kitchen. It probably wouldn't even come close but at least it might make such a project viable.

Discuss.

From what I can work out I think the answer to 3. Is £848.
Plenty of threads on this elsewhere. Body Type might change to Motorcaravan/Motorhome/Campervan but Initial Registration, M1/N1 Diesel Car?PLG will remain unchanged as will VED.

Plenty of threads on this elsewhere. Body Type might change to Motorcaravan/Motorhome/Campervan but Initial Registration, M1/N1 Diesel Car?PLG will remain unchanged as will VED.
I admit, I've not read all of those threads as they make me glaze over. The ones I have weren't that clear on this issue. Even the Governments web site is rather confusing. So thanks for your answer.

I admit, I've not read all of those threads as they make me glaze over. The ones I have weren't that clear on this issue. Even the Governments web site is rather confusing. So thanks for your answer.
The main reason converters and self converters applied to DVLA to have their V5c changed to Body Type Motorcaravan/Motorhome was that national speed-limit restrictions are changed to "car" speed limits for such vehicles rather than the "commercial" limits of the base vehicle and insurance was easier for a "Motor caravan" than a "Van with windows".

I thought the DVLA no longer recognise pop tops as Motorcaravan/Motorhome, now van with windows.

I thought the DVLA no longer recognise pop tops as Motorcaravan/Motorhome, now van with windows.
Yes - but - seems new vehicle postal registration can get through that hurdle.

I've given up trying to apply logic to the current DVLA requirements.

Back