Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach - vehicle tax (additional rate of VED)

H

Huw

Y Traeth
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 102
We bought a second hand California Beach in August 2019 for £39,990, which was registered in September 2018. The special notes on the V5C states that there is one former keeper and that "this vehicle is subject to additional rate of VED until 31.1.24" , which is currently £325 pa. Therefore, we are currently paying in total £475 pa..

Although I've been unsuccessful in getting through to the DVLA, the 'Find the cost of tax for all vehicle types' calculator on the DVLA site calculates a figure of £150 pa and therefore doesn't apply the additional rate.

Does anyone know if the additional rate applies to second hand vehicles (i.e. applies only to new vehicles with a list price of over £40,000)?

Thanks

good question but I think you will be paying £475 until 2024 and then £150 after that (plus price increases obviously)

If it didn't apply to second hand cars, people could surely transfer ownership to a friend and then back to themselves and avoid the charge.

Hi its on the cost of a new vehicle so unfortunately you are stuck with the extra charge.

Yep agree with the other posters. The VED quoted on the DVLA site applies to newly registered vehicles. Yours was bought new when a higher rate of tax was payable so unfortunately you will have to continue paying the higher amount sorry

Back