Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New VED rates

Thanks, over 3 weeks then....... Sorry, one last question I promise, did the stealers submit the V55 before they physicaly received Florence ? I have been told they receive the vin number as soon as it is in the country (ie at the port) and they can submit the V55 before receiving it.
I wouldn't normally defend dealers, but our original order for a T6 was damaged whilst on the transporter between the dock and the showroom. Clearly in that instance if they had started the registration process then how would you deal with that? As rare as that might be I can see why the dealer would want to inspect a vehicle before starting the registration process.

I have just been reading the Government website( https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...2020/vehicle-excise-duty-rates-for-motorhomes )and like all government websites it is as clear as mud. One interesting thing that i did spot though is that a Beach may have trouble qualifying as a motorhome as it does not appear to meet the minimum requirements.
We will hopefully get a more definitive answer this week as our GC should have been delivered to our dealer on Friday and we have an appointment to pick it up on Thursday. Our dealer (Carrs, Exeter) has advised us that in the past they have encountered the problem and they registered at the higher rate and claimed the difference back later. Personally I do not think DVLA would have a case to contest that. I am concerned though because we all know that DVLA are a bunch of money grabbing B.........s.

Just been delving into whether the PLG classification brings speed restrictions and found the info below.
As the V% copy gives the weight as 3080kgs it appears to be speed restricted. above 3050kgs.

So what are the official speed limits for a campervan?
As far as speed limits are concerned, the official vehicle classification is not campervan but ‘motor caravan’ – and the speed limits for motor caravans are split into two categories.

Motor caravans with an unladen weight below 3,050kg (3.05 tonnes) are allowed to drive as fast as an ordinary car.

Motor caravans with an unladen weight above 3,050kg (3.05 tonnes) are restricted to same speed limits as vans – which are officially classified as light goods vehicles under the same rules.

This means that although they can do 70mph on a motorway, they can only do 60mph on a dual carriageway and 50mph on national limit single carriageways (except where the speed limit is marked as less than that).

I questioned the VED rate with The dealer I’m buying from and they said the following:

“The £1850 on the order is on hopefully temporarily. Once Volkswagen have confirmed to the dealer network, which should be imminent, I will send an amended order. to show the new price of £270.Unfortunately the order system we use, produces the order based on the RFL costs from the original brochure.”

so hopefully it will be corrected and the right amount charged etc.

Just been delving into whether the PLG classification brings speed restrictions and found the info below.
As the V% copy gives the weight as 3080kgs it appears to be speed restricted. above 3050kgs.

As far as speed limits are concerned, the official vehicle classification is not campervan but ‘motor caravan’ – and the speed limits for motor caravans are split into two categories.

Motor caravans with an unladen weight below 3,050kg (3.05 tonnes) are allowed to drive

Motor caravans with an unladen weight below 3,050kg (3.05 tonnes) are allowed to drive as fast as an ordinary car.

Motor caravans with an unladen weight above 3,050kg (3.05 tonnes) are restricted to same speed limits as vans – which are officially classified as light goods vehicles under the same rules.

This means that although they can do 70mph on a motorway, they can only do 60mph on a dual carriageway and 50mph on national limit single carriageways (except where the speed limit is marked as less than that).
So the heaviest California, a 199 4Motion dsg, has an unladen weight of 2699kg, so we are restricted to the same speed limits as cars.

Last edited:

I think the weight you are quoting is the Maximum Weight, MGW, not the unladen weight. So the California is permitted to travel at Car Speeds.

T6.1, 199 DSG 4 Motion has a Gross Vehicle Weight of 3080 Kgms BUT an unladen Weight of 2675Kgms.

I have just been reading the Government website( https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...2020/vehicle-excise-duty-rates-for-motorhomes )and like all government websites it is as clear as mud. One interesting thing that i did spot though is that a Beach may have trouble qualifying as a motorhome as it does not appear to meet the minimum requirements.
We will hopefully get a more definitive answer this week as our GC should have been delivered to our dealer on Friday and we have an appointment to pick it up on Thursday. Our dealer (Carrs, Exeter) has advised us that in the past they have encountered the problem and they registered at the higher rate and claimed the difference back later. Personally I do not think DVLA would have a case to contest that. I am concerned though because we all know that DVLA are a bunch of money grabbing B.........s.
My view us that a Beach WITH the slide out cooker would meet all the requirements and be classed as a Motorhome, if it hasn't got the cooker, it won't. Actual wording from the directive is

My view us that a Beach WITH the slide out cooker would meet all the requirements and be classed as a Motorhome, if it hasn't got the cooker, it won't. Actual wording from the directive is
Special purpose vehicles
NameCodeDefinition
5.1.Motor caravanSAA vehicle of category M with living accommodation space which contains the following equipment as a minimum:
(a)
seats and table;
(b)
sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats;
(c)
cooking facilities;
(d)
storage facilities.
This equipment shall be rigidly fixed to the living compartment.
However, the table may be designed to be easily removable.

Special purpose vehicles
NameCodeDefinition
5.1.Motor caravanSAA vehicle of category M with living accommodation space which contains the following equipment as a minimum:
(a)
seats and table;
(b)
sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats;
(c)
cooking facilities;
(d)
storage facilities.
This equipment shall be rigidly fixed to the living compartment.
However, the table may be designed to be easily removable.
A bit of confusion here l think. Californias should be registered as "motor caravans" not motorhomes. Thus subject to different regulations.
Is a small fixed cooker an option on the Beaches that are now available outside the UK? Perhaps to help it get round classifications?

A bit of confusion here l think. Californias should be registered as "motor caravans" not motorhomes. Thus subject to different regulations.
Is a small fixed cooker an option on the Beaches that are now available outside the UK? Perhaps to help it get round classifications?
If you read HMRC policy paper, motorhome and motorcaravan are the same thing, their definition expressly advisrs such - extract below. (And as far as HMRC are concerned, there is no such thing as a campervan !)
Who is likely to be affected
This will affect owners of motorhomes (type approved M1SA) first registered from 12 March 2020.

General description of the measure
From 12 March 2020, new motorhomes (type approved M1SA) will no longer need to provide their CO2 emissions figure when they register the vehicle. As a result, new motorhomes will be included in the Private/Light Goods VED class or the Private HGV VED class if they weigh over 3,500kg.

Then, from 1 April 2021, VED for new motorhomes will be aligned with the Light Goods Vehicle VED class M1SA vehicles are defined as motor caravans in Part A of Annex II to Directive 2007/46/EC. The minimum requirement is that a motor caravan includes seats and a table; sleeping accommodation; and cooking and storage facilities.

So the heaviest California, a 199 4Motion dsg, has an unladen weight of 2699kg, so we are restricted to the same speed limits as cars.
Based on Grosse not unladen weight.

Your post at 2.05 yesterday, refers to unladen weight, I'm confused.
You are correct, most legislation is based on grosse weights when related to LGV's & HGV's.

Still don't understand. Sorry.
Question.
What speed restrictions apply to T6 4motion with an unladen weight of 2699kg, and a gross vehicle weight of 3080 kg?

Still don't understand. Sorry.
Question.
What speed restrictions apply to T6 4motion with an unladen weight of 2699kg, and a gross vehicle weight of 3080 kg?
Car speed limits as they are based on unladen weight.

Image 29-08-2020 at 06.43.jpeg
Why is a popular VW Ocean dealer still quoting outrageous road tax of £1,850 for a Cali on their website? Am I confused I have been quoted £270 for the first year do I get stung in year 2?

My order for an Ocean placed on 20/07/2020 shows £270 VED + £55 First Registration Fee.

I wonder, is there a VED difference between Coast and Ocean models due to the habitation specification?

It's £270 first year, and every year after. Ocean or Coast.
This may change for vehicles registered after April 2021, when emissions will be taken into account on assessing VED on motorhomes. Emissions not being taken into account presently.

What a messy way of sorting this out in the UK.

In Belgium, a VW California Ocean (Comfortline in my case), is classed as M1 (car), but classified as motorhome (kampeerwagen). This means, no registration fee, only €132 road tax per year, every year to the MOT (keuring).

If I should have bought a passenger car, it would have taken me some 100's to over 1000 euros for registration, road tax of 3x what I pay now per year, but first MOT not due the first 4 years, and then, when less than 100 000km, every 2 year with a passed MOT.

So Belgium is quite cheap then?

Back