Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New VED rates

Thanks, just concerned it won't be able to be rectified knowing the DVLA..........
There is another member on here (jillyfish) who collected her T6.1 on 20 March. Her dealer made a genuine mistake and registered it as £1,850. She now has a letter from them, and with the help of VW UK, is getting it reclassified as a PLG M1 (whatever) to the £270.

Thanks, will be interesting to see if she gets a refund, fair chunk of money - over £1,500.........
Not disagreeing with you at all. Plus under the "luxury car" scheme you will pay £475 per year for the next 5 years instead of a flat £270. The £475 then reduces to £150 after year 6. So actually far more than £1,500! I have faith!!!

Does anyone know what vehicle description is on the V5 for the new 6.1? we all know most of last years vehicles are registered as MPV but interested to see if it has been reclassified.

Will be both in it together, just decided I'm not waiting 3/4 weeks either, summer will be gone !
That is exactly where I got to.

I am normally super tight when it comes to money but this year has been rubbish for many people for various reasons. However we now have a window to enjoy our new vehicles before summer ends. I am very happy to share the letter I will get from VW and the process I will go through. No idea what that will entail right now, but all i can think about is 2 more sleeps! :bananadance2

Does anyone know what vehicle description is on the V5 for the new 6.1? we all know most of last years vehicles are registered as MPV but interested to see if it has been reclassified.
My understanding is that it is a Motorhome M1SA, but it is taxed under the LGV VED bands under 3,500kg hence £270 per year. See the earlier post on hete with links to the Gov UK paper explaining this.

That is exactly where I got to.

I am normally super tight when it comes to money but this year has been rubbish for many people for various reasons. However we now have a window to enjoy our new vehicles before summer ends. I am very happy to share the letter I will get from VW and the process I will go through. No idea what that will entail right now, but all i can think about is 2 more sleeps! :bananadance2
Thanks, that would br great, likewise.....

My understanding is that it is a Motorhome M1SA, but it is taxed under the LGV VED bands under 3,500kg hence £270 per year. See the earlier post on hete with links to the Gov UK paper explaining this.
Let us know for sure when you get sorted please.

Hope this helps. V5 from my T6.1.
Florence cropped V5.jpg

I am really tempted to send in my V5 to see if I can get it changed from MPV only thing is I need the V5 for our hols in 3 weeks and following our return from holiday will be away again 4 weeks later meaning I will miss the date for the 2nd year tax!!!!! mmmmmm what to do

I am really tempted to send in my V5 to see if I can get it changed from MPV only thing is I need the V5 for our hols in 3 weeks and following our return from holiday will be away again 4 weeks later meaning I will miss the date for the 2nd year tax!!!!! mmmmmm what to do
are you thinking a change in ved rate from £470 to £270 is a possibility?

Unless your vehicle was registered post March 12th 2020 you will not be able to change it. The changes are Not retrospective, otherwise everyone would be able to change. Sorry.

Welsh Gas is absolutely correct - this is not retrospective before 12 March 2020. However, if you registered AFTER this date and paid the old rate you should check Jillyfish's earlier post, she paid the old rate and is applying to the DVLA to have this changed.

Unless your vehicle was registered post March 12th 2020 you will not be able to change it. The changes are Not retrospective, otherwise everyone would be able to change. Sorry.
Do we know this for sure? If we show the V5 before the MPV debacle/ during/ then the current situation it must be a compelling argument! I can understand it meaning no change for a conversion but for a factory built vehicle I guess it must be worth the challenge.

The policy paper from the DVLA is quite specific regarding vehicles registered before 12 March 2020, see extract below.......I suppose no harm trying though !!

"Operative date
The change in the law will apply from 12 March 2020.

Motorhomes (type approved M1SA) first registered prior to 12 March 2020, with an eligible CO2 emissions figure, will pay graduated VED as a petrol or diesel car"

Do we know this for sure? If we show the V5 before the MPV debacle/ during/ then the current situation it must be a compelling argument! I can understand it meaning no change for a conversion but for a factory built vehicle I guess it must be worth the challenge.
You can try, but I can guess what the answer will be. So don't be disappointed.

Thanks all, I have contacted VW and sent in the information along with the correspodance from last year. Can’t get through to the dvla so will keep trying.

The policy paper from the DVLA is quite specific regarding vehicles registered before 12 March 2020, see extract below.......I suppose no harm trying though !!

"Operative date
The change in the law will apply from 12 March 2020.

Motorhomes (type approved M1SA) first registered prior to 12 March 2020, with an eligible CO2 emissions figure, will pay graduated VED as a petrol or diesel car"
Thanks Rowls, what you have put is correct and is around motor homes. The wrong classification of California’s was a different issue that happened last year and was in conjunction with the stopping of van conversions getting reclassified.

Hi, I presume yours had to be applied for by post, how long did it take ? Thanks
I had an e-mail on the 6th June from the stealers stating that the V55 had been submitted to DVLA. The V5 is dated 30th June which is when the stealers e-mailed me confirming they had just received confirmation of registration. Duly picked up Florence on the 1st July.

I had an e-mail on the 6th June from the stealers stating that the V55 had been submitted to DVLA. The V5 is dated 30th June which is when the stealers e-mailed me confirming they had just received confirmation of registration. Duly picked up Florence on the 1st July.
Thanks, over 3 weeks then....... Sorry, one last question I promise, did the stealers submit the V55 before they physicaly received Florence ? I have been told they receive the vin number as soon as it is in the country (ie at the port) and they can submit the V55 before receiving it.

Thanks, over 3 weeks then....... Sorry, one last question I promise, did the stealers submit the V55 before they physicaly received Florence ? I have been told they receive the vin number as soon as it is in the country (ie at the port) and they can submit the V55 before receiving it.
Not that I was counting the days........ 23rd of Feb she was "on the way to the docks", 13th March "on board ship", 23rd March "at the stealers".

Back