Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New VED rates

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Sorry to start a new thread on this but after reading all the others on the new VED rates my brain is frazzled.....

Would you mind any responses just being restricted to registering new Calis and not about backdating any that have already been registered as that just confuses the situation.

So, can anyone please confirm what VED a new T6.1 California Ocean registered next week should pay and secondly what class it should be registered as.

Obviously would be great to hear from someone who has actually registered their Cali since 12th March which is when I understand changes were made to VED rates.

My dealer, by the way, is insisting it is now £1,850 !!

Thanks

If it helps, the VW on-line price list dated 1May 2020 shows the OTR package below, which I believe is in line with registration as a motor home.

9F96A3D8-7210-411C-8B7C-D09A7EF7337B.png

£270 VED + £55 First Registration Fee,. Has to be sent to DVLA by post, takes 10 days to 2 months to come back. COVID 19 / DVLA Staffing problems. Sorry don't know what class.

It's £1850 if the dealer registered it on line, then l think £450 for the next 4 years, but you can drive straight away. Put VED into the forum search for info.

Would like to know if anyone has actually managed to register at £270 plus £55 ?? And also what class that has to be ??

Why can taxing a vehicle be such an issue !!!!!

Anything registered after March 11th 2020 is required to adhere to the following:

Vehicles with a list price of more than £40,000
You have to pay an extra £325 a year if you have a car or motorhome with a ‘list price’ (the published price before any discounts) of more than £40,000. You do not have to pay this if you have a zero emission vehicle.

You only have to pay this rate for 5 years (from the second time the vehicle is taxed).

The initial rate before your extra £325 a year is dependent on emissions.

More confused than ever again now......... so it's somewhere between £270 and £1,850 depending on who you believe !! Some on here are adamant it is £270 (although this has to be done by post) and some say it's £1,850......mmmmm

Motorhome M1. If the dealer registers it as this, it's £270. If it is registered online as a diesel car, it's £1850

Motorhome M1. If the dealer registers it as this, it's £270. If it is registered online as a diesel car, it's £1850
M1 is not a motorhome, that is just a passenger car with less than 8 seats. A motorhome is M1SP.

The question is - is a California Ocean a Motorhome ie M1SP ? Also, the DVLA do not differentiate between a Motorhome and a Campervan ie there is no such thing as a Campervan in the DVLA's eyes.

Sorry about M1, Be it MI, MISA, or M1SP, what is Rowls dealer doing, insisting that it should be registered incorrectly, and hence a VED of £1850?

Sorry for this again, but I believe the below to be a definitive explanation of why the new £270 VED is correct and why the California Ocean is a motor caravan M1SA:-
The following is an extract from Gov.UK - Policy Paper "Vehicle Excise Duty rates for motorhomes" published 11 March 2020. Link below-

Vehicle Excise Duty rates for motorhomes

Vehicle Excise Duty rates for motorhomes

Relevant extracts from above:-

"From 12 March 2020, new motorhomes (type approved M1SA) will no longer need to provide their CO2 emissions figure when they register the vehicle. As a result, new motorhomes will be included in the Private/Light Goods VED class"

"M1SA vehicles are defined as motor caravans in Part A of Annexe 11 to Directive 2007/46/EC. The minimum requirement is that a motor caravan includes seats and a table, sleeping accommodation: and cooking and storage facilities"

"The change in the law will apply from 12 March 2020"

"Paragraph 1GA, Schedule 1 to VERA will be amended to exclude vehicles which are M1SA type-approved, as defined in Pt5.1 of Annex 11 to Directive 2007/46/EC
"

The above new rules are specific about the definition of a motor caravan M1SA and refer to the relevant Directive 2007/46/ED, a link to which is attached below. Under the definition included in the Directive it is clear that the California Ocean complies with this definition and can therefore be registered as a motor caravan M1SA.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/eudr/2007/46/annex/ii

Sorry for this again, but I believe the below to be a definitive explanation of why the new £270 VED is correct and why the California Ocean is a motor caravan M1SA:-
That looks good. Other options are to contact the lady at VW that i gave you the details for, or contact Breeze. Every other dealer seems to know what is going on. Sorry yours in being a PITA.

4. Motorhomes
The rate of vehicle tax is based on the vehicle’s revenue weight (also known as maximum or gross vehicle weight).
Private or light goods (TC11)
Private or light goods vehicles have a revenue weight of 3,500kg or less.
Engine size (cc)Single 12 month paymentSingle 12 month payment by Direct DebitTotal of 12 monthly instalments by Direct DebitSingle 6 month paymentSingle 6 month payment by Direct Debit
Not over 1549£165£165£173.25£90.75£86.63
Over 1549£270£270£283.50£148.50£141.75

I note from the Gov.UK policy paper on motorhomes, published 11th of March 2020, that "as and from April 2021, motorhome VED liabilities will be based on their CO2 emission figure"

So where will that leave future California in the VED scale?

That is only for vans registered before the 12th March 2020, those registered after that date will continue to be aligned with the LGV VED

Arghhhhhhhhhhh despite me providing all the information I posted earlier in this thread, including links to the Gov.Uk paper and the EU Directive, my dealer is still insisting the VED is £1,850 !!! No explanation, just 'that is what we have been instructed.' I don't want to fall out with them as still waiting for my Ocean to be delivered (it's in Sheerness) so want to keep them 'on side' to get it delivered ASAP. However, I seem not to have any choice but to make a formal complaint directly to their MD........ God, this has been a painful experience, thought spending this much money would be easy !!!

Arghhhhhhhhhhh despite me providing all the information I posted earlier in this thread, including links to the Gov.Uk paper and the EU Directive, my dealer is still insisting the VED is £1,850 !!! No explanation, just 'that is what we have been instructed.' I don't want to fall out with them as still waiting for my Ocean to be delivered (it's in Sheerness) so want to keep them 'on side' to get it delivered ASAP. However, I seem not to have any choice but to make a formal complaint directly to their MD........ God, this has been a painful experience, thought spending this much money would be easy !!!
This has been my most painful vehicle buying experience ever - it is rubbish especially when you are spending c. £60k.

So I guess you have 2 routes;

1. Get VW UK involved so you pay the correct VED now (£270) but you potentially wait a few weeks for the DVLA.

2. Cough up the £1,850 and then get it rectified after. (This is what I am doing so i get my van asap).

Back