Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 two tone colours

Am I correct? Have VW decided to charge £300 for flat white after decades of it being a no cost option? If I am they must be in trouble.

Still it makes the two tone £300 cheaper!
I ordered in July and opted for the candy white. It is listed as a 300 option but for some reason they didn’t charge me for it. Possibly a dealer mistake. In any case my intention was to do the lower half wrap but I half regret it now and wished I’d gone as it grey which I think looks quite smart. Or the new red metallic

I ordered in July and opted for the candy white. It is listed as a 300 option but for some reason they didn’t charge me for it. Possibly a dealer mistake. In any case my intention was to do the lower half wrap but I half regret it now and wished I’d gone as it grey which I think looks quite smart. Or the new red metallic
I think your order preceded the charge for Candy White.

It's not just white, it's *Candy* white. It's kind of 'candier' than white.
Actually, having specced it on my Cali, because I wanted some sort of white to keep the inside temperature down and stealth camp as a white-van-man, I actually don't know what Candy White looks like. I'm sure it will be a nice surprise.

It's not just white, it's *Candy* white. It's kind of 'candier' than white.
Actually, having specced it on my Cali, because I wanted some sort of white to keep the inside temperature down and stealth camp as a white-van-man, I actually don't know what Candy White looks like. I'm sure it will be a nice surprise.
1C5B724B-D386-49E3-809D-BB42505B487A.jpeg

That's just my laptops rendering of 'a colour'. The colour seen varies across different screens, and depends on the type of lighting used when the photo was taken, if it even comes from a photo. More likely it is a stock image of a Cali rendered using whatever colour coding the website designers used. So, basically, it's probably not what I'll see when it's parked in winter daylight outside my house. Gosh, I need to get out more. Lucky I've ordered a (white) Cali.

In the good old days you could get a high quality brochure with colours printed in it. And care would be taken to make sure the colour you saw on paper matched as well as possible the vehicle colour. I used to work for a colour production company doing exactly that. Unbelievably boring job.

That's just my laptops rendering of 'a colour'. The colour seen varies across different screens, and depends on the type of lighting used when the photo was taken, if it even comes from a photo. More likely it is a stock image of a Cali rendered using whatever colour coding the website designers used. So, basically, it's probably not what I'll see when it's parked in winter daylight outside my house. Gosh, I need to get out more. Lucky I've ordered a (white) Cali.

In the good old days you could get a high quality brochure with colours printed in it. And care would be taken to make sure the colour you saw on paper matched as well as possible the vehicle colour. I used to work for a colour production company doing exactly that. Unbelievably boring job.
dep
The metallic paint colours are even more subjective, my Starlight Blue varies a lot depending on sunlight angle etc.
Mind you asking £300 extra for standard white is outrageous when the base transporter gets it for free, obviously too popular like many upmarket German cars.

dep
The metallic paint colours are even more subjective, my Starlight Blue varies a lot depending on sunlight angle etc.
Mind you asking £300 extra for standard white is outrageous when the base transporter gets it for free, obviously too popular like many upmarket German cars.
I have just checked what you said as it seems nuts to me, but yes they are charging £300 for a basic white finish on a Cali as opposed to on the Transporter which has zero cost for white. Surely the standard colour for any van is white. To charge is really extracting the urine. You may as well pay another £462 and get a metallic finish.

dep
Henry Ford was once supposed to have said " you can have any colour you like as long as it's black". He was referring to the model T Ford. The reason was to cut down mass production costs. So if Candy white is so popular then why after decades of it being a no cost option, have VW suddenly put a premium on it. It must be either:

1. There's a shortage of Candy White paint (as if) or
2. It's just another ploy to get ring yet more money out of prospective Cali owners.

They'll be charging extra for standard wheels next.

Henry Ford was once supposed to have said " you can have any colour you like as long as it's black". He was referring to the model T Ford. The reason was to cut down mass production costs. So if Candy white is so popular then why after decades of it being a no cost option, have VW suddenly put a premium on it. It must be either:

1. There's a shortage of Candy White paint (as if) or
2. It's just another ploy to get ring yet more money out of prospective Cali owners.

They'll be charging extra for standard wheels next.
It is clearly option number 2.

I would love to sit opposite the salesman and ask him why I need to pay £300 for paint which is a no cost option on a Transporter. Especially as they all start life on the same production line.

Wasn't it the same though with the T6 Discover Media, £1000 extra on a Transporter but £1,600 on a Cali.

I was told it was because many do half wraps and the white van is a great base for that, and as two tone colour options are limited in the UK VW could lose out on someone not ordering two tone, so make a few £‘s from having white as an option.

I was told it was because many do half wraps and the white van is a great base for that, and as two tone colour options are limited in the UK VW could lose out on someone not ordering two tone, so make a few £‘s from having white as an option.
I hate when car manufacturers are run by accountants.

In that case, they should make the white paint a 3,500 pounds option.

Anyway, I got quoted 1,450 to paint the lower half of a nugget or cali from a very good paint shop so vw must make a hefty profit on their 2 tone option.

And in case vw reads this, it was not to save 2000 pounds but because I want cherry red and white and you stopped that colour

Just got this little beauty back from the amazing guys at Monster Wraps in Hedge End. Fortuna Red and top half wrapped in Reflex Silver (well as near as we could). This combo is actually available from VW, just not available to UK customers. Highly recommend Monster Wraps, I have used them several times now. Always get great service and a fantastic outcome.

IMG_20201128_102605.jpg

IMG_20201128_101904.jpg

IMG_20201128_102106.jpg

Last edited:
How much was the wrap - looks good, but might be tempted by red/white....

We have ordered a candy white so we can wrap the bottom half to suit - have found a great company locally called Funkyfish - it's cheaper than ordering two-tone from the factory and you have a better range of colours - I really like the red one posted above from Monsterwrap - but I think we fancy a dark metallic blue... Our Ocean is due to start its build on Monday - week 49 - fingers crossed
Had a quote for just over £1000

We have ordered a candy white so we can wrap the bottom half to suit - have found a great company locally called Funkyfish - it's cheaper than ordering two-tone from the factory and you have a better range of colours - I really like the red one posted above from Monsterwrap - but I think we fancy a dark metallic blue... Our Ocean is due to start its build on Monday - week 49 - fingers crossed
Make sure you post a few great pics when it's wrapped like Soton has. Just love the two tone scene.

I’ve had quotes for more than that to cover just the front end with clear protective film. OK it’s ‘self-healing’ clever stuff, but your wrap will do a good job of protecting the original paint I’m sure.

Go for it !

I like the bay leaf green just on its own. Really suits the vehicle.
I used to want the bright blue that T5s used to come in but over the years my metallic wheat beige has grown on me quite a bit.

Personally I think bay leaf green & white combination is really good...couldn't justify spending +£2k and went for one colour bay leaf green. But will always be a little bit jealous when I drive pass the two tone one...

Personally I think bay leaf green & white combination is really good...couldn't justify spending +£2k and went for one colour bay leaf green. But will always be a little bit jealous when I drive pass the two tone one...
You could wrap the top half white, and still have £1500 in the bank

Back