Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Had my T5 california two tone wrapped

CaliSwede

CaliSwede

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi all,
First post here. Just had my T5 wrapped in Gloss Emerald green (manufacturer Avery Dennison). It's not very similar to the original VW color Bay leaf green which is used for two tone. This wrap is gloss, compared to the Bay leaf green which is metallic. What do you guys think?

It's not perfect like a paint would be. In the gaps around the back door and some other places you can still see the white paint, but it's close enough. Hopefully it will look good for more than 5 years and protect the paint from stones from the road.

Anyway, can't wait to take it out for a autumn weekend with the family :):cool:

IMG_5026.JPEGIMG_5028.JPEG

Hi all,
First post here. Just had my T5 wrapped in Gloss Emerald green (manufacturer Avery Dennison). It's not very similar to the original VW color Bay leaf green which is used for two tone. This wrap is gloss, compared to the Bay leaf green which is metallic. What do you guys think?

It's not perfect like a paint would be. In the gaps around the back door and some other places you can still see the white paint, but it's close enough. Hopefully it will look good for more than 5 years and protect the paint from stones from the road.

Anyway, can't wait to take it out for a autumn weekend with the family :):cool:

View attachment 86084View attachment 86086
Can I ask how much it cost, I’m guessing at around £2k

I have been quoted £1300 to re-wrap mine plus £300 to take off the old wrap. When I bought it, I was not looking for blue or indeed any bright colour and thought I would run it for a year to make sure Cali-life worked for us, then rewrap it. I was thinking mohave beige lower for something more discreet. However, have since come to love it.

I have seen people on here quoted as low at £7-800 I think, so would pay to shop around.

The factory two-tone paint job supposedly costs £2500 so many people order white and get the lower wrapped for half that price, plus the benefit that you can take the wrap off to sell and the paint has been protected or change colour after a couple of years.

I was quoted £1100 +VAT when I enquired a couple of weeks ago. This was from a firm in Kent. Seems like a ball-park figure based on my limited research.

My van is red so would like the top half white. My only concern is on the doors as I can’t see them wrapping everything. Also the roof as I’m sure that would be a pig to do.
Just wondering if anyone has had the top half done and how it turned out.

I renewed the VED tax and insurance on our 2019 MPV Beach this morning. I'm now out of pocket to the tune of £861! :headbang However that's beside the point. My reason for posting is that during the insurance renewal process I was asked the usual standard question: Have I modified the vehicle? The young lady carrying out the interrogation then specifically asked if we've had our Cali wrapped? We haven't but the question intrigued me. "Why?" I asked, "would that be an issue?" She said that insurance companies don't like wraps!

One would therefore assume that this dislike would be reflected in the premium.

My van is red so would like the top half white. My only concern is on the doors as I can’t see them wrapping everything. Also the roof as I’m sure that would be a pig to do.
Just wondering if anyone has had the top half done and how it turned out.
Top half is expensive as lots of time needed, Ridged roof being difficult as is the need to go around all the windows.
Think that you would need to be seated when getting quotes.

My reason for posting is that during the insurance renewal process I was asked the usual standard question: Have I modified the vehicle? The young lady carrying out the interrogation then specifically asked if we've had our Cali wrapped? We haven't but the question intrigued me. "Why?" I asked, "would that be an issue?" She said that insurance companies don't like wraps!

It will cost slightly more to repair body damage, as will need spray + then wrap.

I renewed the VED tax and insurance on our 2019 MPV Beach this morning. I'm now out of pocket to the tune of £861! :headbang However that's beside the point. My reason for posting is that during the insurance renewal process I was asked the usual standard question: Have I modified the vehicle? The young lady carrying out the interrogation then specifically asked if we've had our Cali wrapped? We haven't but the question intrigued me. "Why?" I asked, "would that be an issue?" She said that insurance companies don't like wraps!

I can understand that now. Having the vehicle wrapped is taking it away from standard factory spec and any work done in an accident would cost a lot more than a standard spec vehicle. Plus would you be able to get the same colour wrap in 5 years time in the case of an accident.
Think I will forget it even though it would look nice.

When I did my insurance online, there was an option under modifications for "Exterior decorative changes". I checked on online chat and they were happy that covered the wrap. Didnt seem to affect the premium for me, but might for other companies I guess.

Top tip - if you get it wrapped, get a couple of extra metres of wrap and keep it just in case you need to rewrap anything later - that would be enough to do a door or bumper etc if necessary. Apparently the colour (for Avery Denison at least) is not supposed to change due to UV exposure but they dont rule out some small differences from batch to batch - I have been told that any slight differences would be unlikely to be noticeable though. When I bought mine pre-wrapped, the dealer gave me a roll with their leftover wrap in case I ever need it.

I’ve just had the front of mine PPF’ed and had to prove to comfort that the film didn’t change the body colour to what is stated on the V5, anyway it’s all insured now so if I’m in an accident they replace the PPF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Due to a change in policy, any vehicle which has had a colour change wrap must now register the change of colour with the DVLA.

Colour wraps have previously been considered a temporary change of colour which has not needed to be registered. However the DVLA made the following statement a couple of years ago:

The register maintained by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) essentially exists to assist in revenue collection, road safety and law enforcement. The police and other enforcement agencies rely on the DVLA record for all vehicle-related investigations. It is therefore paramount that the information stored on the vehicle register is accurate and up-to-date.

By covering the entire vehicle in a coloured adhesive/vinyl wrap, it is the DVLA’s view that the colour change should be recorded. To notify a change of colour you should complete section 7 of the registration certificate V5C and return it to DVLA Swansea SA991BA. You should receive a replacement within two to four weeks.

It is important to note that partial colour wraps and printed graphic wraps are currently excluded from this policy change.

Due to a change in policy, any vehicle which has had a colour change wrap must now register the change of colour with the DVLA.

Colour wraps have previously been considered a temporary change of colour which has not needed to be registered. However the DVLA made the following statement a couple of years ago:

The register maintained by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) essentially exists to assist in revenue collection, road safety and law enforcement. The police and other enforcement agencies rely on the DVLA record for all vehicle-related investigations. It is therefore paramount that the information stored on the vehicle register is accurate and up-to-date.

By covering the entire vehicle in a coloured adhesive/vinyl wrap, it is the DVLA’s view that the colour change should be recorded. To notify a change of colour you should complete section 7 of the registration certificate V5C and return it to DVLA Swansea SA991BA. You should receive a replacement within two to four weeks.

It is important to note that partial colour wraps and printed graphic wraps are currently excluded from this policy change.
Covering the “Entire” vehicle. So would that mean a half vehicle wrap wouldn’t count?

Covering the “Entire” vehicle. So would that mean a half vehicle wrap wouldn’t count?
Correct - see the last para, partial matches dont require it currently. Although it is maybe a grey are as clearly if you wrapped the whole thing and just left with wing mirrors original colour then that is more than just 'partial' really.

I'd take the view that with 50% of a vehicle a different colour to the other 50% then I'd notify the DVLA of this fact. ie Colour A/ Colour B.
Always was the case with two tone cars.
If wrap removed then renotify DVLA.

Could stop the possibility of a Police pull as the reg info and colour don't match. NPR info mismatch?

I'd take the view that with 50% of a vehicle a different colour to the other 50% then I'd notify the DVLA of this fact. ie Colour A/ Colour B.
Always was the case with two tone cars.
If wrap removed then renotify DVLA.

Could stop the possibility of a Police pull as the reg info and colour don't match. NPR info mismatch?
My factory supplied 2tone Cali only mentioned the lower half colour on the V5.
This I believe is the norm.

My factory supplied 2tone Cali only mentioned the lower half colour on the V5.
This I believe is the norm.
Would be down to VW when registering as to what goes on the V5.

With current trend for 2tone colours especially on van to campervan conversions it would be just a matter of time before a Police initiated DVLA action is taken. As in the Campervan/Motorhome saga.

Anyone know how well the wrap holds up to the elements? We have our camper outside all year. Any problems with that? And for those how have had the wrap for a few years, what is the first sign of wear?

Love it! Looks fab. We have some lovely seat covers that would go so well with that

Anyone know how well the wrap holds up to the elements? We have our camper outside all year. Any problems with that? And for those how have had the wrap for a few years, what is the first sign of wear?
Commercial HGV's and vans are all wrapped. Livery all now done with it.

Lasts for years but won't polish up like paint after a good few years.

Back