Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is there increasing resistance against EV’s?

My 2 year old 12 mini
IMG_3331.png

Do you set it to 80%? I let mine go dead fairly often and charge to 100%. Seems ok, or am I missing something?

Tbh less bothered about my phone than the bmw. Set that to 80% by the Octopus app.

My 2 year old 12 mini
View attachment 116318

Do you set it to 80%? I let mine go dead fairly often and charge to 100%. Seems ok, or am I missing something?

Tbh less bothered about my phone than the bmw. Set that to 80% by the Octopus app.
With the iPhone 15 you have the option of charging to 80%. It is designed to reduce battery stress and promote battery longevity.

The battery on my iphone 12 is still at 84% health at 4 years and it gets heavy use, I use it as my main business phone and I'm usually streaming music most nights. When it gets below 80% I'll probably just pay for a new battery rather than £1000 for the latest model!

The battery on my iphone 12 is still at 84% health at 4 years and it gets heavy use, I use it as my main business phone and I'm usually streaming music most nights. When it gets below 80% I'll probably just pay for a new battery rather than £1000 for the latest model!
That’s pretty good going! The battery will be larger than the iPhone mini, so that helps. Replacement is about £80 I think. You can go cheap but the battery health stats won’t work any more. I decided it wasn’t worth it for my SE and recently upgraded :)

Oh sorry! I didn’t mention the US.

I was comparing the India and China lines as they have similar population, but China pollutes 4x as much.

View attachment 116310

View attachment 116311

It would be interesting to see how that chart varies when it measures consumption rather than production.

E.g the carbon to produce and ship a cheap McDonalds’ toy from the producer to the consumer is carried by the consumer not the producer.

It would be interesting to see how that chart varies when it measures consumption rather than production.

E.g the carbon to produce and ship a cheap McDonalds’ toy from the producer to the consumer is carried by the consumer not the producer.
If you are doing that, what would you do with tourism - show the aircraft, hotel etc emmisions at the country where the tourists come from or where they spent the holiday?

If you are doing that, what would you do with tourism - show the aircraft, hotel etc emmisions at the country where the tourists come from or where they spent the holiday?
I guess this is one area where the analysis of carbon emissions starts to get really complex the more you scratch the surface!

Almost as complex as calculating where Amazon, Apple etc pay tax :shocked

But not quite as complex when working out the limit of Ben and Jack’s creativity in the kitchen.

ce78394d16e9def9be0b3dc87f4ccf64.jpg

I have been driving Westfalia/California T6 since 2016 and longer range EVs (280 real miles plus) since 2019. I have come to the conclusion that the future of family sized camper vans, motorhomes and caravans will be either hydrogen or depend on increasingly aged ‘classic’ diesel vehicles - which the government will increasingly tax and restrict where they can go as they will be seen as non-sustainable.

The buzz shows the dilemma - to get to reasonable range big batteries are needed which are heavy so something had to give - the live-able size of the vehicle. The buzz based campers we are seeing are really for 2 people. There are a lot of highly evolved EV companies around now and no-one seems to be fundamentally changing the weight to capacity ratio of EV batteries. Hydrogen addresses this - a lot of energy can be stored at a lower weight but a lot of energy is needed to produce it and a lot of infrastructure is needed to make it widely available. I think hydrogen will come but it will be at a price and aimed at heavy commercial uses rather than consumers.

My EV has a usable motorway based range of 230 to 250 miles which covers 90% of my driving. I don’t drive a Tesla but have found that range anxiety is not a thing (apart from one divorce courting experience last year driving from Reading to Aviemore and back in minus 5-10c). You do need to do some planning and know the charging companies to use. Unlike many I admittedly have the advantage of being able to charge at home but the electricity national grid is already evolved - adding more chargers and being clever about when cars charge/supply power back to the grid is not as big a challenge as moving to hydrogen.

EVs are here to stay - resistance is futile! I’m not so sure about campervans, motorhomes and caravans - at least as a hobby for the masses. I’ve just put in an order for a new 6.1 Cali and really feel this is the end of an era in many ways.

I was watching motor home Matt on YouTube and there was mention that EV vans will be covered under a standard licence up to 4.25t with no additional training required.
The issue with keeping a diesel vehicle long term might come down to availability of fuel once more alternative fuel vehicles are on the road. Probably long enough to see me out though.

What a great article, thanks for posting. When I think about it, practically practically all the staff in my company have said they only bought their EV due to the tax breaks and wouldn't buy one out of choice.

I don’t currently own an EV.
However my previous work van was an EV and as much as I hated it to begin with. It soon won me over.
The only reason I don’t own one at the minute is because of the crazy pricing of new EVs.

But absolutely want another and if possible would never buy another ICE.

The reality is, depending on whether you like EVs or not, you can find articles that support your view. Some will have more facts in them than others, some will be opinion pieces. Here's one that sets out why EVs sales are not actually slowing, but I'm confident that someone could point to an article to show the opposite.

I think an interesting point is that legacy car makers (VW, Ford etc) initial products have not been great and new start ups (mainly from China it would seem - BYD etc) are attracting decent market share, certainly in Asia but now across Europe and N. America. Whereas before hand people would just flock to VWs regardless of what they pumped out, I don't think there is that brand loyalty anymore and people are just buying cars as white goods without there being any emotional attachment that perhaps previous generations have/had. And in some way that's a good thing as it encourages innovation and you can't get away with sub-par products anymore. But it will mean legacy manufacturers taking a hit at the expense of newer, more innovative ones.

The buying model has also changed as well with Tesla being a prime example, cutting out the dealer network and having direct sales. So whereas dealers would have to commit to buy stock from manufacturers and that might sit around on forecourts, that happens less with the direct sales model (as set out in the article above).

But different types of cars work for different people - as it's always been.

What a great article, thanks for posting. When I think about it, practically practically all the staff in my company have said they only bought their EV due to the tax breaks and wouldn't buy one out of choice.
Same for us, but now having been using EVs for 2 years I would find it very difficult to go back, even if the price was the same. They’re better in pretty much every way over ICE vehicles.

I did, although my personal circumstances are right for one.

I'm glad I did. Love it and would buy again. Insurance just renewed, little change, depreciation no more than I would expect from an equivalent ICE car and it's not caught fire yet.

Thursday, after a 160 mile trip, the fuel tank was quite low. I went to bed, woke up, and found it full. Magic :D

A cliched collection of the usual scare stories that have been mainly generated by those with interests in perpetuating fossil fuel based industry/investment. The energy in petrol/diesel actually originated from the sun - which still blasts our planet with free energy every day - and also generating wind as a result. There are well proven technologies to convert sunlight generated energy directly into electricity and either store it in batteries or put it into cars/vans/buses via an efficient electricity grid. The alternative is to drill/frack for oil, often in remote beautiful places with danger of leaks and pollution (deep water horizon), transport the oil in big tankers which can sink (Torre Canyon) refine it (just google refinery fires) and then transport it to petrol stations in big tankers before putting it finally into cars. All I’ll say is that there are countless films and dramas showing petrol stations and cars bursting into flames which are not slated as being ridiculous.

Against all this we hear (again and again) that EVs are only for the rich, they burst into flames if you look at them, they are only good for driving in city centres, mining for rare minerals used in batteries is raping the planet and the national grid is going to be overwhelmed by demand. There is some basis behind all of these but it is really overhyped.

Can you really compare the pollution and carbon footprint of the global fossil fuel industry with the cobalt mines in DRC ? Are electric cars any more likely to catch fire than fossil fuel cars? How often do substations/power stations catch fire compared to fossil fuel infrastructure? I have an EV with a motorway range of 230 miles and this covers 90% of my driving. The national grid exists and can be expanded easily - solar panels on the roof of every new building will generate power locally and local batteries (including the ones in cars) can be used as stores for times when the sun is not shining or wind blowing. Hydrogen could also be used as a ‘store’ for cleanly generated energy. I read a report in the Times saying that 2nd hand price of EVs is now equivalent to fossil fuel cars and the price of new EVs is falling fast due to companies like MG, Volvo, BYD, Neo and indeed Tesla - building cars In China. A comparison with Concord maybe comforting with those who want to perpetuate the fossil fuel industry but it is ridiculous.

Like Nokia and Ericson being overwhelmed by Apple and Samsung the US/Japanese/European car industry is in grave danger of being overwhelmed by the Chinese car industry and the Chinese already dominate the solar panel industry. VW has tried to play it both ways and is in trouble with a lot of EVs that people don’t want to buy - meanwhile MG and Volvo are selling cars hand over fist - because the price is right.

So in resisting/pooh poohing electric cars and trying to perpetuate fossil fuel industries we are doing ourselves a big disservice and putting the Chinese even further ahead. We really need to shift investment very quickly into these new technologies or be left behind forever!

A cliched collection of the usual scare stories that have been mainly generated by those with interests in perpetuating fossil fuel based industry/investment. The energy in petrol/diesel actually originated from the sun - which still blasts our planet with free energy every day - and also generating wind as a result. There are well proven technologies to convert sunlight generated energy directly into electricity and either store it in batteries or put it into cars/vans/buses via an efficient electricity grid. The alternative is to drill/frack for oil, often in remote beautiful places with danger of leaks and pollution (deep water horizon), transport the oil in big tankers which can sink (Torre Canyon) refine it (just google refinery fires) and then transport it to petrol stations in big tankers before putting it finally into cars. All I’ll say is that there are countless films and dramas showing petrol stations and cars bursting into flames which are not slated as being ridiculous.

Against all this we hear (again and again) that EVs are only for the rich, they burst into flames if you look at them, they are only good for driving in city centres, mining for rare minerals used in batteries is raping the planet and the national grid is going to be overwhelmed by demand. There is some basis behind all of these but it is really overhyped.

Can you really compare the pollution and carbon footprint of the global fossil fuel industry with the cobalt mines in DRC ? Are electric cars any more likely to catch fire than fossil fuel cars? How often do substations/power stations catch fire compared to fossil fuel infrastructure? I have an EV with a motorway range of 230 miles and this covers 90% of my driving. The national grid exists and can be expanded easily - solar panels on the roof of every new building will generate power locally and local batteries (including the ones in cars) can be used as stores for times when the sun is not shining or wind blowing. Hydrogen could also be used as a ‘store’ for cleanly generated energy. I read a report in the Times saying that 2nd hand price of EVs is now equivalent to fossil fuel cars and the price of new EVs is falling fast due to companies like MG, Volvo, BYD, Neo and indeed Tesla - building cars In China. A comparison with Concord maybe comforting with those who want to perpetuate the fossil fuel industry but it is ridiculous.

Like Nokia and Ericson being overwhelmed by Apple and Samsung the US/Japanese/European car industry is in grave danger of being overwhelmed by the Chinese car industry and the Chinese already dominate the solar panel industry. VW has tried to play it both ways and is in trouble with a lot of EVs that people don’t want to buy - meanwhile MG and Volvo are selling cars hand over fist - because the price is right.

So in resisting/pooh poohing electric cars and trying to perpetuate fossil fuel industries we are doing ourselves a big disservice and putting the Chinese even further ahead. We really need to shift investment very quickly into these new technologies or be left behind forever!
Absolutely spot on. All the people I know who are anti-EV are boomers who read The Daily Mail or The Telegraph and have never even had an EV. They’re afraid of change and the media that they read plays to and confirms their biases.

My 2 year old 12 mini
View attachment 116318

Another reason to be sceptical about 2nd hand EVs. Most will be ex lease.

Most lease cars are handed back 2-4 years in. So most owners won’t be too concerned about preserving batter longevity.

Absolutely spot on. All the people I know who are anti-EV are boomers who read The Daily Mail or The Telegraph and have never even had an EV. They’re afraid of change and the media that they read plays to and confirms their biases.

So, I suppose that I'm a "boomer".

Perjorative généralisations are so often misplaced, given that most of those writing hare-brained, generalist scare stories under the guise of "journalism" all seem to be aged well less than 70.

So, I suppose that I'm a "boomer".

Perjorative généralisations are so often misplaced, given that most of those writing hare-brained, generalist scare stories under the guise of "journalism" all seem to be aged well less than 70.
You're the exception that proves the rule, GrannyJen.

We have a great new Environment Secretary!

You're the exception that proves the rule, GrannyJen.

We have a great new Environment Secretary!

I really do not want feeding any more garbage thank you and the last thing I want to be tarnished with is "proving" anything. I became aware of the paucity of morals in many politicians many years ago. Sadly I am having to have dinner tonight with someone who thinks Suella Braverman is the only politician alive today who has both moral integrity and the only person with balls in parliament.

Whilst willing to disagree with the premise that she is transgendered I am not going to engage in debating her moral integrity. I will just reach for the wine bottle and think nice thoughts about my next trip away in Kevin.

Back