Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is there increasing resistance against EV’s?

I had been generally in favour of HS2 (despite living very close to the route here in the Chilterns). But about a year ago it became obvious that the costs/benefits calculus had shifted drastically - partly because the assumptions about rail use had changed, but mainly because the massively escalated costs to £100bn+, due it seems to an extremely unsuitable project governance structure, meant that the project no longer made economic sense at all. From that point it seemed and still seems to me that the 'correct' decision would be to scrap the whole project. Obviously that would be politically a non-starter so we'll be left with the pointless London to Birmingham stump. It's pathetic isn't it.

Despite contemporary outrage at the cost and impact of the channel tunnel and HS1, I don't think there are many people who would now prefer to have those billions in the coffers rather than the train line to France.
I'm not sure that's how I'd look at it. The money wouldn't be left 'in the coffers', it would presumably)have been spent on other infrastructure projects with different - hopefully higher but at least positive - economic paybacks. HS1, by the most recent analysis, has a BCR of less than 1, meaning that it has not made economic sense to build it. By any non-political argument, or at least if ignoring putative intangible benefits (eg British prestige, or conversely the shame of not having a high speed line from London to Brussels, while the UK was in the EU), it should not have been built.

It would be nice to see more freight services on the railways. There’s an argument that HS2 might enable that?
More rail freight = less lorries on the roads. (Incredible number of lorries on the M42 past the NEC yesterday!)
I’d also like to see the Motorail services resumed (remember those from Olympia). Get on a Shuttle type train in I.e. Manchester, or London etc, go through the tunnel and get off in I.e. Lille or Paris etc. should be doable?
In my dreams, I know :)

It would be nice to see more freight services on the railways. There’s an argument that HS2 might enable that?
More rail freight = less lorries on the roads. (Incredible number of lorries on the M42 past the NEC yesterday!)
I’d also like to see the Motorail services resumed (remember those from Olympia). Get on a Shuttle type train in I.e. Manchester, or London etc, go through the tunnel and get off in I.e. Lille or Paris etc. should be doable?
In my dreams, I know :)
You seem to be contemplating an integrated transport strategy. In England*? Yes, you must be dreaming.

[EDIT] *Or move to Scotland, they have one.

You seem to be contemplating an integrated transport strategy. In England*? Yes, you must be dreaming.

There’s an interesting article here that demonstrates the conflicting strategies of the DfT and TfL.

The final two paragraphs say it all.

Meanwhile, the over budget and much delayed Elizabeth Line continues to break records with 738,000 journeys in a single day on 28 September 2023.

The east coast has better infrastructure, road and fright services. . The west coast on the other hand does far less for example some materials come in via rail for the smelter but most come and leave by hgv, that's all fuel which used to come by rail, the aluminium smelter output, sawmill output and fish farm plant via the inadequate A82 with lanes just wide enough for an hgv. Throw in the summer tourist traffic and we end up on the A86,A9 route often, safer and easier. I guess with the often 40mph speed stuck behind hgv's I have had may best Cali fuel consumption and ev would fair well.

In Koh Samui for a couple of weeks recently and didn’t see a single EV. Just saying.
In contrast, I'm just back from 2 weeks in China, and there seems to be high proportion of EV's there - easily recognisable as Chinese drivers have to purchase a number plate, and you get a green coloured one for EV's or a blue coloured one for petrol/ diesel. I was genuinely surprised at the speed of change there, also by the amount of wind turbines visible as you fly over the country and the coast.

In contrast, I'm just back from 2 weeks in China, and there seems to be high proportion of EV's there - easily recognisable as Chinese drivers have to purchase a number plate, and you get a green coloured one for EV's or a blue coloured one for petrol/ diesel. I was genuinely surprised at the speed of change there, also by the amount of wind turbines visible as you fly over the country and the coast.
According to a Guardian report in August 2023 China is approving the construction of 2 coal fired power stations a week!

According to a Guardian report in August 2023 China is approving the construction of 2 coal fired power stations a week!
Yes, which is why I was surprised to see what I saw on the ground in terms of EV usage, because over here you could be forgiven for thinking China simply does not care. With such a huge population it's hard to comprehend the scale of China's energy needs. It seems that since the Ukraine war the latest 5 year plan has seen priorities shift from progress towards carbon neutrality back to preservation of energy security - in exactly the same way as here in the UK..

Yes, which is why I was surprised to see what I saw on the ground in terms of EV usage, because over here you could be forgiven for thinking China simply does not care. With such a huge population it's hard to comprehend the scale of China's energy needs. It seems that since the Ukraine war the latest 5 year plan has seen priorities shift from progress towards carbon neutrality back to preservation of energy security - in exactly the same way as here in the UK..
Below article explains they are building them for the wrong reasons, without looking at other easy ways to solve.

Below article explains they are building them for the wrong reasons, without looking at other easy ways to solve.

Given the widely reported nerviness of the CCP about faltering economic growth I don't think it's a surprise that it wants to give a green light to everything that supports medium term GDP, including power generation by whatever means.

Just to give @Wildcamper a few days off….
The last ones my favourite!
Of course, the 'threat' (which in theory it could be) of remote hijack of cars imported from China is actually nothing to do with whether they are electric powered or ICE. Pretty much all next-generation cars are software reliant and internet-connected and hence potentially exposed to cyber threats. The type of power plant is irrelevant.

But the Torygraph's headline writers don't let facts get in the way of their anti-EV crusade.

Not focussed on EV hijacks but interesting to get an understanding of what is going on in Space and the potential of knocking out systems such as GPS. Attack Satellites! Who knew.

IMG_0233.jpeg

Of course, the 'threat' (which in theory it could be) of remote hijack of cars imported from China is actually nothing to do with whether they are electric powered or ICE. Pretty much all next-generation cars are software reliant and internet-connected and hence potentially exposed to cyber threats. The type of power plant is irrelevant.

But the Torygraph's headline writers don't let facts get in the way of their anti-EV crusade.
There was a story a couple of years ago of a chap who was shot with a crossbow. Almost the whole conviction was based on the evidence the murderer was hiding opposite behind a wall for several hours. The key was his Land Rover Freelander parked in the lane behind him. The car was connected to 3G or something and basically proved where he was. Quite difficult to explain.

Meet our EV for three people upgrade.

6b9c8691ca4b203f09824f2854d65ed4.jpg

5d4d5f1279f6b5b3c06049b042d10799.jpg

eedcf24629daa99a62e3f51710c1db76.jpg

250 watts (nominal)
Three power assistance levels.
Eco +75% of leg power
Smart +150% of leg power
Sport +200% of leg power

Range up to 120km in eco mode

Top speed with electric assistance 25 Km/h.

Battery charge time 3h10.

Fun factor 10 (out of ten).

Last edited:
Yes, topping up for the sake of it is not recommended as will shorten battery life in the long run. The Car will display a friendly warning if you do it too often.

Tesla (assume other cars have similar setup) will automatically route the car via a charging point when you put the destination in the satnav. It preconditions the battery enroute to ensure its in the best state upon arrival to take a charge. Upon arrival it will usually set charge limit to reach destination plus a margin - this can be overridden in order to take a full charge but believe its set this way so that you don't hog the charger, will also charge a penalty fee if you remain connected to the charger after charging is completed...system works well as we have never had to queue.

Should only use a fast/supercharger now and again, as a rapid charge is not great for the battery life. Its better to charge say at 32amps (or slower, but obviously take longer), hence overnight charging at home is ideal, plus you can also fix a cheap tariff for home charging in offpeak hours.
Can I ask is it better to charge 15-80% or 15-100%?

I know it takes a long time 80-100 but I’m at home on a 3 pin plug so no time issues. Is it good, bad or neither? I think I thought that with a phone going from 0-100% frequently is good so I was mimicking that.

For some reason, possibly ocd, I like to charge it upto 100% but now my Octopus app has control of my BMW and cheap charging stops at 5.30am it’s often not going to get to 100%, nearer 75%.

You have a Tesla?

Edit: it’s ok I think I have found the answer and set my Octopus App to 80%! Hopefully 10 weeks of me charging it to 100% won’t have done it any real harm! I’ll now aim for 20-80%.

Last edited:
Meet our EV for three people upgrade.

6b9c8691ca4b203f09824f2854d65ed4.jpg

5d4d5f1279f6b5b3c06049b042d10799.jpg

eedcf24629daa99a62e3f51710c1db76.jpg

250 watts (nominal)
Three power assistance levels.
Eco +75% of leg power
Smart +150% of leg power
Sport +200% of leg power

Range up to 120km in eco mode

Top speed with electric assistance 25 Km/h.

Battery charge time 3h10.

Fun factor 10 (out of ten).
Love it!!

Can I ask is it better to charge 15-80% or 15-100%?

I know it takes a long time 80-100 but I’m at home on a 3 pin plug so no time issues. Is it good, bad or neither? I think I thought that with a phone going from 0-100% frequently is good so I was mimicking that.

For some reason, possibly ocd, I like to charge it upto 100% but now my Octopus app has control of my BMW and cheap charging stops at 5.30am it’s often not going to get to 100%, nearer 75%.

You have a Tesla?

Edit: it’s ok I think I have found the answer and set my Octopus App to 80%! Hopefully 10 weeks of me charging it to 100% won’t have done it any real harm! I’ll now aim for 20-80%.
Hi. Yes, we have a leased Tesla; 80% recommended for daily driving. Only worth going above if you are going on a long trip. If charged to 100% you lose regenerative braking…until the battery has enough capacity to take it.

3 pin charge is good for the battery as it’s a long slow charge.

Back