Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is there increasing resistance against EV’s?

Industry bodies are looking at this now.
London Fire Brigade have between 6-8 escooter/bike fires per month and it’s really becoming a problem.
Very difficult to ban them from inner city tower blocks. But it’s raising a lot of issues within the industry and for housing associations.
That's the old cheaper Lithium ION technology. The newer Lithium IROn (LifePO4) batteries have none of the fire risk that the older technology did. The e-scooters are also largely cheap asian imports that would never pass the EU regs.

had a test drive / loan EV for a day in Feb this year it was OK to drive but the heater took ages to effectively heat the car and seemed to drain the battery quickly. We did about 80 miles in the day and the range would have been far less than the quoted 240miles!
Yes, you need an EV with a heat pump such as the Ioniq 5 or 6. This allows you to pre-heat the car from an app before even getting in!

That's the old cheaper Lithium ION technology. The newer Lithium IROn (LifePO4) batteries have none of the fire risk that the older technology did. The e-scooters are also largely cheap asian imports that would never pass the EU regs.
You’re not telling us that e-scooters are illegal are you? :cool:

Is the difference that Tesla has a decent motorway charging network?
The difference is the Tesla owner knows more about electric vehicles whilst an ID3 owner will probably be a first time buyer and believe all the "stories" out there.

Having done 53k miles in an ID3 in 2.5yrs and changed to an XC40 B3 recently the team are already missing the ID3.

But you can’t guarantee what batteries go into an ebike/scooter when someone decides to replace them.
Also, you don’t what damage has been caused to a battery in use/misuse.

I forgot that is was me who started this thread....... yet here I am 6 months later and I still covet an EV :eek:. I deffo need help! there must be an 'EV want to be owners anonymous' out there surely.........

Yes I have read most of the comments (and contributed) as to why they are not 'all that' but I still feel that I should get one! I even feel guilty now every time I fill the van tank with yet more 'planet burning climate changing' diesel......

Who'd have thought eh?

I forgot that is was me who started this thread....... yet here I am 6 months later and I still covet an EV :eek:. I deffo need help! there must be an 'EV want to be owners anonymous' out there surely.........

Yes I have read most of the comments (and contributed) as to why they are not 'all that' but I still feel that I should get one! I even feel guilty now every time I fill the van tank with yet more 'planet burning climate changing' diesel......

Who'd have thought eh?
I'd be more guilty about flying that private jet in your profile pic.

Who'd have thought eh?
We love leasing our 2 EVs through salary sacrifice. Way more cost effective for us than the equivalent ICE car and a great driving experience! I wouldn’t buy one though yet, that’s a step too far for us. An unproven expensive technology with a very high price tag just doesn’t feel worth it yet.

Industry bodies are looking at this now.
London Fire Brigade have between 6-8 escooter/bike fires per month and it’s really becoming a problem.
Very difficult to ban them from inner city tower blocks. But it’s raising a lot of issues within the industry and for housing associations.
South Eastern trains have banned e scooters

Could you guys in the UK park EVs in car parks under buildings whether at ground level or underground ?Just been at a presentation of a new 3 floors residential building with underground carpark. The 6 EV charging parking spots have been all put outside , in front of the building. The architect explained this is now regulation, at least over here, a requirement coming from the Fire Fighter Department, as they would have a hard time, to put it mildly, to extinguish an EV on fire, and it could compromise the structure of the building. So EVs must stay outside..
Could be an insurance requirement, we had a new building at work which had EV charging points in an open basement car park, insurance insisted they be disconnected or look for an alternative insurance provider.

Haha, that was not mine.... or private. It was the last jet I flew for BMI before I retired (and yes I would have to admit that sometimes I did feel a bit guilty too)

View attachment 110605
I fly a lot less now. That is my contribution to going green. No guilt filling the Cali with dino juice coz I only use it for vacations. Walk and bicycle are my primary means of transport day to day.

Who'd have thought eh?
I'm I correct that you're burnt alot of gallons of propane in a previous life?

On the 6pm news today. Mother and 2 kids died

Sadly, it’s most lightly that the bike/scooter is charged in a hallway or corridor, blocking the only means of escape.
Once they go, it takes just a few seconds and you have an inferno.

Believe it or not, lots of high rise tower blocks still don’t have sufficient fire protection systems.

BBC today….. E-bike likely cause of Cambridge fire that killed mother and children https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-66088503
So sad..

Is there a similar risk to charging any device with a lithium battery like a power station? I know they advise not to leave them plugged in once fully charged, but with an e-bike you are likely to charge it overnight so it’s ready to go for your commute the next morning.

Probably a cheap crappy Chinese scooter. Anything from a quality brand won’t have a problem being left plugged in for longer than required.

I'm I correct that you're burnt alot of gallons of propane in a previous life?
I take it you’ve never been on a flight then?

So sad..

Is there a similar risk to charging any device with a lithium battery like a power station? I know they advise not to leave them plugged in once fully charged, but with an e-bike you are likely to charge it overnight so it’s ready to go for your commute the next morning.
it certainly better to look for powerstations woth LiFePO4 lithium battery as opposed to Lithium ION.
The problem of catching fire, mostly due to misuse, or damage, concerns Lithio-ION, not Lithium LifePO4. That's why in a Cali i would only consider using LifePo4 batteries/power stations if really neede, not Lithium ION. Unfortunately EVs are made with Lithium ION, cheaper and lighter

it certainly better to look for powerstations woth LiFePO4 lithium battery as opposed to Lithium ION.
The problem of catching fire, mostly due to misuse, or damage, concerns Lithio-ION, not Lithium LifePO4. That's why in a Cali i would only consider using LifePo4 batteries/power stations if really neede, not Lithium ION. Unfortunately EVs are made with Lithium ION, cheaper and lighter
The LiFePO4 battery is a Lithium ion battery. The LiFePO4 electrolyte dissociates into Li+ cations and FePO4 anions and it is these ions that transport the electrons (electricity).

The LiFePO4 battery is a Lithium ion battery. The LiFePO4 electrolyte dissociates into Li+ cations and FePO4 anions and it is these ions that transport the electrons (electricity).
You are technically in the definition correct, but in common jargon they are considered two different type of batteries, so the consumer knows what they are buying and where they do differ.

from the website of one of the most known producer of powerstations (Ecoflow):
Is a Lithium Ion Battery the Same as a Lithium Iron Battery?
No, a lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery differs from a lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) battery. The two batteries share some similarities but differ in performance, longevity, and chemical composition. LiFePO4 batteries are known for their longer lifespan, increased thermal stability, and enhanced safety. LiFePO4 batteries also do not use nickel or cobalt.

LiFePO4 is a subtype of Li-ion battery that improves the safety, lifespan,

So sad..

Just make sure it's Lithium IRON (not ION), Ask for LifePO4 to be sure. They have far more charge cycles to 80% and none of the fire risk.

Back