Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is there increasing resistance against EV’s?

This article blames evs for increasing camping costs with a site in France actually banning them
Energy costs have risen for all thanks to Mr Putin.

After seeing the amount of kit (grills, kettles, heaters, hairdryers etc) that some plug in at campsites, so can understand the Owners frustation and the need to increase prices to cover the increased cost of electricty + most increased prices during Covid due to additonal cleaning required, lost bookings etc. Most sites are far busier than they used to be as cost of flights has increased, so makes sense for the owners to make as much £££ as possible while they can and easy to find a blanket excuse (ie - EV's) for raising prices!

Calis need very power, you cook on gas or charcoal, so guessing that article is aimed at those with car + tent, who arrive with every gadget available (most needing mains power!)

We have solar panels on the van so never need a hookup, but will often still be charged for a hookup depending on location. but don't object to this as often ensures that you get a marked out plot, rather than a a unmarked park where you might end up surrounded by an extended family of 10 cars + supertents, windbreaks, lighted poles, mini solar farms etc.

Strangely enough I had this discussion on a CAMC site last autumn. I had booked for a night and was self sufficient so didn’t need hook up or shower block as it really was somewhere to kip for the night (it cost me £38). So I used nil electricity for personal use. Parked next to me was a massive RV with satellite, air-con, fridge freezer, etc. We paid the same price for our overnight stays. So I think maybe some sort of option of a non-electric pitch or charging needs to be considered just to be fair. How they do it might need a bit of thought?

Strangely enough I had this discussion on a CAMC site last autumn. I had booked for a night and was self sufficient so didn’t need hook up or shower block as it really was somewhere to kip for the night (it cost me £38). So I used nil electricity for personal use. Parked next to me was a massive RV with satellite, air-con, fridge freezer, etc. We paid the same price for our overnight stays. So I think maybe some sort of option of a non-electric pitch or charging needs to be considered just to be fair. How they do it might need a bit of thought?
Perhaps a small lockable cover over each connection point. If you pay you get the key. Unlock and plug in then re-lock the cover over the connector. If you leave the pitch, unlock the cover and switch off, re-lock. Also prevents the 'disappeared' hook-up cable on return.

I hate campsites charge for electricity.
I wish it was metered, because I know we use very little.

Infact, going forward I’m heading down the lithium route to try and completely illuminate the need for hook-up, especially as some pitches can cost £10-£15 more per night.

couldn't agree more. the article just interestingly points out that evs are going to need more power so its an another excuse to raise prices. i always opt for no ehu if i can as also grips my sh1t watching mohos with hairdryes and ovens going all day and night for the same price.
my moho mate purposely leaves stuff switched on like leccy heaters as he believes once he's paid he can use as much as he wants as it's all paid for

One of the nice things about camping in the Nordic countries is that electric hook up is usually charged (not included) I think we recouped about £200 from our solar panel installation over ten weeks camping in Scandinavia and the Baltic states. The exception is ASCI campsites where hookup is included, so you pay for something you don’t use!

my moho mate purposely leaves stuff switched on like leccy heaters as he believes once he's paid he can use as much as he wants as it's all paid for

Haha, that's the issue. If that same person had an EV, they would more than likely leave it on the charge if they had loads of miles left. Times this by 50 similar people and the campsite owner is left carrying the cost....whereas 10 years ago his only worry was cutting the grass now & again, and collecting the coins from the shower meters.

Haha, that's the issue. If that same person had an EV, they would more than likely leave it on the charge if they had loads of miles left. Times this by 50 similar people and the campsite owner is left carrying the cost....whereas 10 years ago his only worry was cutting the grass now & again, and collecting the coins from the shower meters.
when we are seeing evs charged up on sites and paying the same 2 things will have to happen either optional hook up or everyone pays more.
i've known mohos even do their ironing before going home.

"BMW to produce hydrogen fueled vehicles as EVs don't suit everybody!" Statement from BMW. Light at the end of the tunnel - train coming the other way. Discuss!

"BMW to produce hydrogen fueled vehicles as EVs don't suit everybody!" Statement from BMW. Light at the end of the tunnel - train coming the other way. Discuss!
Hydrogen always seemed to make more sense to my simple mind. Zero exhaust emissions, potentially zero carbon emissions, longer range and less pollution than batteries.
Train coming the other way...?

synthetic fuels or e fuels are the way forward. but no doubt they will be banned for working too good.

Meanwhile, on the latest over budget and late delivered railway:

“More customers than expected have taken advantage of the capital’s newest transport link, with 600,000 passengers each day, according to data from Transport for London (TfL), meaning the railway is on track to break even by the end of the 2023/24 financial year.”

Some interesting stats on Britain’s newest and busiest railway here:

Up to 36,000 passengers an hour can be shifted on the Elizabeth Line compared with just 10,000 per hour on a 2 lane urban dual carriageway.

A third of Britain’s rail journeys are made on just two rail lines: Thameslink and Crossrail.

Electric Tesla hearse outside arctic cathedral tromso

20230321_110502.jpg

20230321_110453.jpg

As interesting as the Ami is, it isn’t a realistic alternative to a “proper car” for non city dwellers. I think you are talking £25k plus to get a EV that comes anywhere near being a practical alternative.
There’s an interesting few YouTube posts from a AMI owner in this neck of the woods, second one about to be rejected….

Saw lots of them in use in Biarritz at Easter, all drivers appeared to be teenagers, no-one was laughing at them. Given the choice I suppose it beats walking.

Back