Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Deal or no Deal (no upgraded front panel, tear in bellows).

Scrabble

Scrabble

Lifetime VIP Member
Just about to buy a 2011 candy white and would love to hear peoples excellent advice.
The bellows have one very small tear and I made the purchase (no cash given yet) subject to this being rectified. You can see small amount of sunlight on the inside pic. Is this an easy/cheap procedure?
Also, I said I was a little worried as the front roof panel hasn’t been subject to the upgrade. As far as I can see there isn’t any corrosion yet. If this happens will I be covered even though it’s out of warranty and I’m not the original purchaser?
The seller is very professional and he said he will put it through a VW check and agreed to sort the bellow tear. Be good to know where exactly I stand should corrosion occur (from other people’s experiences) and whether there is a realistic viable repair for the bellows. I’m guessing if not he won’t sell it to me or reduce the price.
Obviously I will ask the seller to make the VW garage explicitly say there isn’t any corrosion currently (if there isn’t any).
Any thoughts greatly welcome!
PS the car is very low millage and almost perfect inside hence why I want to opt for it. Although it sadly doesn’t have cruise or MFSW. Retro it hopefully

IMG_20150311_203035340.jpg

IMG_20150311_203102919.jpg

I think you can patch up damage like that, but if that isn't good enough I think new bellows cost about £500 (that's what we paid 16 months ago at least).

The corrosion warranty on the roof has been extended to 6 years (irrespective of if you are the first owner or not) so you'll be covered for a while longer.

In a way it is a shame there is no roof corrosion showing as the bellows get replaced for free as part of the repair!

Also, bear in mind that MFSW is around £700 to retrofit unless you are brave enough to do it yourself!

I wonder since there is a known corrosion problem if VW would do a preventative repair if pushed? Check V carefully around the whole roof, you only need to find a small bubble.

We had a tiny hole (where the bellows caught in the roof catch) invisibly darned and it is invisible I'm sure someone in London could do the same

I have a couple of tiny nicks in mine and not going to worry about it. if nothing else a small bit of tape will keep any water ingress out, if there is any and not noticed any to date. It certainly does not dent in any way my enjoyment of being out with Albert, although he is just looking a little bit messy and travel stained today.

Invisible darned sounds like a good idea.

Aside from the Bi-metalic corrosion which is non-structural and covered for another 2 years or so, How much Wear and Tear are you prepared to accept on a 4 year old Campervan?
Low milage is not always good on such a vehicle. Short journeys/DPF/Cambelt change based on time not milage/service based on time or milage. These are just as important if not more so than a barely visible tear that can be easily repaired by the right people, and using a Topper for inclement weather would make sure the canvas was watertight even if the tear wasn't repaired.
Just my own personal observations. If you do buy this vehicle then just drive it and enjoy it.

I would be looking to Knock off £500 for the bellows, then set aside that money towards replacement when there are enough nicks in there to be a problem.
In the meantime I would leave it as it is or darn it yourself, you could replace the bellows & do similar damage yourself a day later, or corrosion could be apparent in a years time & it may get replaced FOC

The small nick in the bellows wouldn't bother me if an allowance was made in the price; but check the roof hasn't got a kink in it (Ray Davies before someone else chips in!) which apparently can happen if the bellows jams.

MFSW - if it's absent, most of the buttons on the RHS are only just behind the steering wheel anyway; then there is the phone but you need the bluetooth option for this; and the radio is only a few inches away.

Cruise control is OK if the road is empty, but most of the time it isn't and I find it's constantly off and on; if it was adaptive cruise it would be much more useful.

Sounds like a nice van so worth going for :thumb

All facelift Cali's have Cruise Control don't they?

If not it's a £100 retrofit.

MFSW is a fairly straight forward retrofit too.

As for the bellows not the end of the world but you have to be happy with the Cali as there are many more available, however if the rest of the Cali is great I would let these 3 things bother me, they can all be done.

Bluetooth and MFSW are 2 things I love about ours.

If for example it didn't have 3 zone climate, something that was essential for me and no chance of a retrofit then I would move on.

@Rikotansky, dannosail, sandalfarm, grannyjen, welshgas, andyinluton, reserves, motacyclist, thank you all very much for the comments. They have given me added confidence.
It has only done 15k, pretty much perfect inside (owned by a “mature” couple) and asking was 34,995.
It will go in for a VW check and my brother is a mechanic so I’m not too bothered too much about the filter and cambelt, they will get changed if needed. It also has full VW history.
@reserves I’m guessing the £100 retro fit is the DIY price. Don’t you also need to get it coded?
Would also love Bluetooth. It’s got the 310 DAB. Is this an easy addition?
I’m also going to be parking it on a London street so I’m prepared for all the stuff that will go it’s way.
Cheers guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a nice van (particularly the colour :thumb), good luck and enjoy!

The Cali drives well even without using the cruise control and at optimum speeds you get good mpg anyway. When I was looking for an ex demo or 1 yr old Cali They all seemed to have tiny nicks in the fabric of the bellows. I think owners are just loads more careful and knowledgeable than the average garage employer. Fit a bellows bungee at minimal cost and enjoy. I have a topper but can say we've only used it once so the CPW rate is not good for us (that is cost per wear to the uninitiated) and we have camped all year round.
I am not a great fan of the MFSW. I accidentally touch a button and it does something....can be a tad annoying as well as useful.

Sounds a great find....I'd go for it!