Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Greetings from Ireland - prospective T6.1 owner with lots of questions !!!!

K

kearneyrob

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi to everyone and thanks for allowing me to join up to this club. It is a tremendous health of information to both existing owners and prospective owners such as myself.

I have been thinking about purchasing a VW California for some years now but was put off by the possibility of VW's ID Buzz coming along in 2022. However, considering the very real delays with this new model along with lack of charging infrastructure and range anxiety there is obviously lots of life left with diesel ICE and I am now looking at purchasing a T6.1 Ocean or Coast model. I currently run a 2017 Audi A5 under a 3 year PCP deal which is finishing in Sept and the choice is to change now or hold onto the A5 for another 3 years and then change. Any change to a T6.1 would represent using this for weekends / holidays as well as daily use and I would envisage then holding onto this for 10 years+ to see me into retirement. Have visited 2 dealers to look at models and options but hoping that the members here can advise on other aspects. To start off:

1) Manual or DSG - DSG has proved great on my A5 over the last 3 years without any issues. What is the long term reliability of these systems as they are expensive where repairs are required ? Also manual is more straightforward and less costly on the initial purchase price. Views ?

2) 150bhp or 199bhp - is 199bhp overkill ?

3) Front wheel drive versus 4M ? Nice to have but is it worth it ? I have had 2 x Audi A5's with quattro 4WD and fro a safety point of view it is great.

4) Electric or manual pop-up roof ?

I have queries on other options also but will post these later.

Thanks in advance for assistance provided on the above, Rob K.

We have a manual 4motion 150hp Ocean.

It was an ex-VW management vehicle so didn't spec it that way.

The manual is ok but like you I have a DSG, a Golf R and would've preferred that. Life just seems so much easier that way.

As an only vehicle perhaps 200bhp would be appropriate, but I find 150bhp is ok for my commute and most holiday pace.

The 4motion question provokes lots of discussion! It was a must for me as our previous T5 conversion was partial to getting stuck in muddy event parking fields.

My previous van was a 204 Ocean, with DSG and electric roof/door. I changed it for a 150 Coast with no regrets. Engine power is sufficient (just bought an Eriba and it pulls that with no problems). I prefer the manual roof (and side door); less to go wrong. Dashboard and control panel on the 6.1 is a nice improvement in my view. No 4M, but I have winter tyres which get fitted in late November. Before buying my Ocean I had an A6 allroad, different vehicles obviously but I do use the Cali as my daily drive. Love it.

Hello, have fun configuring your Cali. I’ve recently done that and my Ocean 6.1 is on order awaiting a confirmed build week. I’m puzzled by a couple of your questions though: 1) all 3 options on the VW configuration are DSG so not sure you can specify Manual? 4) Electric or Manual Pop up roof? I believe electric is standard. Not sure you can specify manual? Others might correct me?

Welcome here
A lot is already said and IMO it is often very personal depending on so many things like money, where and when you use it or how you. And I got the impression that in the end you can have in every California/Camper/MB/Nugget ypur best camping experiences or the worst...That said: I would go for 4M (skiing, snowboarding), Coast (love the idea of manual) with 150 or 199hp (do have a 131hp Cali it it would be great to have a little bit more power up the hills, living in CH).
However keep us posted about yout progress!

Hi and welcome!
You can’t get a 6.1 manual, DSG only.
If you are keeping for 10+ years, manual roof, so has to be the Coast.
150 is plenty, I’ve had 2 and never wished I‘d had the 199.
Personally, I wouldn’t bother with 4 motion. Stick decent tyres on (I think you can specify all seasons when buying new). Again, if you are keeping long term, it’s more stuff to go wrong and maintain.

I don’t know the market in Ireland, but in the UK you can easily achieve 10%+ discount on these now.

Welcome Rob. You have asked questions that are regularly dealt with (usually to death!) on this forum and you're not going to get any definitive views on any of them, just competing opinions...

1. Manual vs DSG? No evidence that DSG is unreliable on the T5 or T6 platforms. In UK the 6.1 is only available in DSG, may be different in Eire.

2. 150 or 199bhp? Remember the base van is expected to haul builders' loads around with a 102 or even 84bhp motor. 150bhp is in no way under-powered (I have a 180 T5 and would be fine with a 150 next time).

3. 4-Mo or FWD? You're not going to get any consensus on that one. The best advice would be to decide if you NEED 4-Mo and if so that you're happy to pay several grand extra, and accept the further reduction in MPG for its whole life. (Also a reduction in payload but for most people that's not a real issue). I note your comment about safety and 4WD/AWD but that is a very debatable assertion and many including me would say it offers no safety benefit (you don't brake better or corner more safely), it's purely a performance advantage. But barrels of digital ink have been spilt on this forum about such matters - just search for "4 Motion" and you'll see what I mean.

4. Manual or electric roof? Problems with the electro-mechanical roof are not unknown and will usually happen when you are away somewhere. I would have a manual roof on my next van if I have a choice. But again, others will disagree.

Best of luck with your decisions. As I said, search the forum for all those topics, but set aside a couple of days to read through all the arguments - and you'll still have to make your own mind up!

Good afternoon,

First of all, welcome. The VW California is a very special vehicle which and as you alread experienced, starts at the beginning when you think about the configuration.

Manual vs DSG
As mentioned before it is hard to get a California without DSG anymore. So, this should be easy sorted.

150 HP vs 199 HP
Well, when we got our camper I was very concerned about the 150 HP engine not powerful enough. After almost 3 years I can say I never had a problem with the available power. But like so many things it is a personal choice.

FWD vs 4motion
If you ask 10 California drivers about this, you will get 11 opinions. My brain tells me that 99% of the time I don't need it, but my stomach tells me I want it. The problem I see is that it might be that in Ireland the 4motion is only available in the highest spec, which is very expensive.

Manual vs electric roof
I believe you only get the Coast with manual roof. If you aim for the Ocean you have no choice. I share your opinion that a manual roof would be easier and cheaper to repair.

I believe there are only 8 or 9 California's on sale in Ireland at the moment. Most of them are Coast (I assume because of the price). There are 2 or 3 Ocean's, but the cheapest is EUR 81k. If you plan to order one, I can imagine the lead time is 6 to 8 months.
I don't know in what area you are, but I can recommend VW Frank Keane Liffey Valley. I got mine from them (demo model) and they looked after me quite well so far.
Let me know how you get on and if you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me

Regards,
Eberhard

Last edited:
Hi to everyone and thanks for allowing me to join up to this club. It is a tremendous health of information to both existing owners and prospective owners such as myself.

I have been thinking about purchasing a VW California for some years now but was put off by the possibility of VW's ID Buzz coming along in 2022. However, considering the very real delays with this new model along with lack of charging infrastructure and range anxiety there is obviously lots of life left with diesel ICE and I am now looking at purchasing a T6.1 Ocean or Coast model. I currently run a 2017 Audi A5 under a 3 year PCP deal which is finishing in Sept and the choice is to change now or hold onto the A5 for another 3 years and then change. Any change to a T6.1 would represent using this for weekends / holidays as well as daily use and I would envisage then holding onto this for 10 years+ to see me into retirement. Have visited 2 dealers to look at models and options but hoping that the members here can advise on other aspects. To start off:

1) Manual or DSG - DSG has proved great on my A5 over the last 3 years without any issues. What is the long term reliability of these systems as they are expensive where repairs are required ? Also manual is more straightforward and less costly on the initial purchase price. Views ?

3) Front wheel drive versus 4M ? Nice to have but is it worth it ? I have had 2 x Audi A5's with quattro 4WD and fro a safety point of view it is great.

:welcomeIf you are expecting overwhelming support for one option against another then I’m afraid forget it. No owner, or at least very very few, is going to hold his hand up and say “ I made the wrong choice with regards the engine, gearbox or drive “. It just isn’t going to happen.
Ignore engine, gearbox, and or type of roof. Select the other options you want/need/must have. The rest depends on your budget and how long you plan on keeping the vehicle.
All the questions you have asked have + and - points. Get what you need, want and can afford. Enjoy.

We have a manual 4motion 150hp Ocean.

It was an ex-VW management vehicle so didn't spec it that way.

The manual is ok but like you I have a DSG, a Golf R and would've preferred that. Life just seems so much easier that way.

As an only vehicle perhaps 200bhp would be appropriate, but I find 150bhp is ok for my commute and most holiday pace.

The 4motion question provokes lots of discussion! It was a must for me as our previous T5 conversion was partial to getting stuck in muddy event parking fields.
Thanks John ...... need to think further on 4M option. 150bhp and 4M not an option in Ireland.

My previous van was a 204 Ocean, with DSG and electric roof/door. I changed it for a 150 Coast with no regrets. Engine power is sufficient (just bought an Eriba and it pulls that with no problems). I prefer the manual roof (and side door); less to go wrong. Dashboard and control panel on the 6.1 is a nice improvement in my view. No 4M, but I have winter tyres which get fitted in late November. Before buying my Ocean I had an A6 allroad, different vehicles obviously but I do use the Cali as my daily drive. Love it.
Thanks - great to hear your experience. Less electronics means there is less to go wrong !!!!

Hello, have fun configuring your Cali. I’ve recently done that and my Ocean 6.1 is on order awaiting a confirmed build week. I’m puzzled by a couple of your questions though: 1) all 3 options on the VW configuration are DSG so not sure you can specify Manual? 4) Electric or Manual Pop up roof? I believe electric is standard. Not sure you can specify manual? Others might correct me?

Thanks for this info - engine and transmission options in Ireland are:

1) Coast - only with 150bhp manual or DSG;
2) Ocean - 150bhp (manual and DSG) and 199bhp but latter only available in DSG and 4M variants.

Welcome here
A lot is already said and IMO it is often very personal depending on so many things like money, where and when you use it or how you. And I got the impression that in the end you can have in every California/Camper/MB/Nugget ypur best camping experiences or the worst...That said: I would go for 4M (skiing, snowboarding), Coast (love the idea of manual) with 150 or 199hp (do have a 131hp Cali it it would be great to have a little bit more power up the hills, living in CH).
However keep us posted about yout progress!
Thanks - will keep group updated on my choice in the end.

Hi and welcome!
You can’t get a 6.1 manual, DSG only.
If you are keeping for 10+ years, manual roof, so has to be the Coast.
150 is plenty, I’ve had 2 and never wished I‘d had the 199.
Personally, I wouldn’t bother with 4 motion. Stick decent tyres on (I think you can specify all seasons when buying new). Again, if you are keeping long term, it’s more stuff to go wrong and maintain.

I don’t know the market in Ireland, but in the UK you can easily achieve 10%+ discount on these now.

Thanks - really useful insights. In Ireland there is limited choice and any discounts certainly not at 10% level. Interesting your comments on power and 4M When I sort out in my head what I would like then I can see whats on offer in terms of offers, discounts etc.

Welcome Rob. You have asked questions that are regularly dealt with (usually to death!) on this forum and you're not going to get any definitive views on any of them, just competing opinions...

1. Manual vs DSG? No evidence that DSG is unreliable on the T5 or T6 platforms. In UK the 6.1 is only available in DSG, may be different in Eire.

2. 150 or 199bhp? Remember the base van is expected to haul builders' loads around with a 102 or even 84bhp motor. 150bhp is in no way under-powered (I have a 180 T5 and would be fine with a 150 next time).

3. 4-Mo or FWD? You're not going to get any consensus on that one. The best advice would be to decide if you NEED 4-Mo and if so that you're happy to pay several grand extra, and accept the further reduction in MPG for its whole life. (Also a reduction in payload but for most people that's not a real issue). I note your comment about safety and 4WD/AWD but that is a very debatable assertion and many including me would say it offers no safety benefit (you don't brake better or corner more safely), it's purely a performance advantage. But barrels of digital ink have been spilt on this forum about such matters - just search for "4 Motion" and you'll see what I mean.

4. Manual or electric roof? Problems with the electro-mechanical roof are not unknown and will usually happen when you are away somewhere. I would have a manual roof on my next van if I have a choice. But again, others will disagree.

Best of luck with your decisions. As I said, search the forum for all those topics, but set aside a couple of days to read through all the arguments - and you'll still have to make your own mind up!

Thanks for your detailed answer - as you say different opinions based on different experiences but I am leaning towards 150bhp, manual gear box option with manual roof so most likely a specced up Coast.

Hi. I'm in France with my 2.5 yr old 45k miles Coast. It's my car too and it's been great. I won't be buying another vehicle so it's a long term thing. Definitely DSG for long easy autoroute trips with ACC. Manual roof definitely, who wants an electrical failure 1000k from home. Just make sure there is absolutely nothing at all up there when closing. 150 engine with front wheel drive is fine, 110km/h gives good consumption. Other good cheapish options. Reversing camera essential, 70l tank, opening in front of roof awning. Ascot Grey free paint is a nice colour. Good luck.

We went DSG / Electric roof… but I thought both were standard. As we like to travel with no holds barred, we also did the 4wD and mountain rated tyres - we certainly haven’t regretted either choice as it means we go anywhere there is some semblance of a road/track … and that has led to some stunning stop-overs!

Back