Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is there increasing resistance against EV’s?

This has given me a new direction. Despite my occasional circumspection over EVS, I was looking at a hatch as a replacement for our Abarth 500.

The Honda E is nearly £650 pcm to lease.

Think a used i3 is the perfect answer. Look good. Good to drive. And as you say, a lot cheaper now.
Well the way I see it, at £12K it’s not something we are going to be too precious about if it gets the odd mark. I’m pretty sure most of the depreciation has already been baked in and the price will surely bottom out at not much less over the next 3 years. The i3 is destined to be a future classic in my opinion.

We just took it out for a spin and it’s really growing on me. It flies off the line from the lights, which adds a bit of extra fun!

No idea what the real running costs will be yet, but it’s got to be a lot less than the Cali around London. In terms of servicing I think the range extender will need an annual oil change and the tyres last about 10k from what I understand.

Well the way I see it, at £12K it’s not something we are going to be too precious about if it gets the odd mark. I’m pretty sure most of the depreciation has already been baked in and the price will surely bottom out at not much less over the next 3 years. The i3 is destined to be a future classic in my opinion.

We just took it out for a spin and it’s really growing on me. It flies off the line from the lights, which adds a bit of extra fun!

No idea what the real running costs will be yet, but it’s got to be a lot less than the Cali around London. In terms of servicing I think the range extender will need an annual oil change and the tyres last about 10k from what I understand.
I think a shoehorn future classic.

They’ve aged really well.

In fairness, we are all on the wrong thread though …..

My Golf was costing 45 pence a mile on my very slow commute. The i3 was 8 pence a mile on normal tariff but I’ve now switched to Octopus Go which is 1/4 price 11.30-5.30, so just 2 pence a mile!
From £160 a month on petrol to less that £10 on electricity.

I don’t even need a wall charger, just a regular plug.

Last edited:
My Golf was costing 45 pence a mile on my very slow commute. The i3 was 8 pence a mile on normal tariff but I’ve now switched to Octopus Go which is 1/4 price 11.30-5.30 do 2 pence a mile!

I don’t even need a wall charger, just a regular plug.
So you just do a six hour nighttime charge to keep it topped up?

In fairness, we are all on the wrong thread though …..

Well I guess it can go on both threads. Increasing resistance may have subdued prices to an extent that an i3 becomes an ideal purchase.

So you just do a six hour nighttime charge to keep it topped up?
Before I got the new tariff I was plugging in on about 10% about 7pm on Friday and it was 100% about 6am the next morning, which would last me a whole week. (I think on a 3 pin plug it should take 14 hours 0-100%.)

But I’ve now read that keeping it above 15% is best and that charging to 80% not 100% is recommended most of the time but Martin from Wisely automotive, who delivered the car, recently told me that BMW has hidden capacity above “100%” so I needn’t worry about this.

So anyway the upshot is I now charge for about 5 hours twice a week instead and I’ve set my app to finish at 90%.

Here’s the Octopus Go app. They also give you 1/4 price electricity anytime they have a surplus aswell as 11.30-5.30. All you have to do is plug it in.
1700679224712.png
I’ve switched the charge limit to 90% now.

Martin is an i3 star on YouTube!

Last edited:
Well I guess it can go on both threads. Increasing resistance may have subdued prices to an extent that an i3 becomes an ideal purchase.
Exactly.

I bash them on one thread to destroy confidence and trigger a mass exodus.

All the while coveting buying one on another thread.

Sort of an inverse ‘pump & dump’ strategy.

Interesting to note that today's Autumn Statement (yawn...) assumes a drastic reduction in the number of EVs registered before 2030.
Government needs the road tax from the sale of ICE vehicles perhaps???

Just saying :headbang

It has been a windy week…

188cc08d62931db5741ef0203cef3372.jpg

Only 15.4% of the UK’s electricity needs from coal or gas plus 4.2% imported - some of which may have come from coal or gas.

Even over the year, clean energy generation (hydro, wind and solar) for the first time is greater than dirty energy generation (gas and coal).

633233b9e937e68c40030f2b008a74ef.jpg

Only 15.4% of the UK’s electricity needs from coal or gas plus 4.2% imported - some of which may have come from coal or gas.

Even over the year, clean energy generation (hydro, wind and solar) for the first time is greater than dirty energy generation (gas and coal).

A large part of renewable energy is obtained from organic biomass, largely wood and straw. It’s not just wind, solar and hydro in the renewables section. Although some graphs don’t include biomass in the renewables and list it alongside nuclear in other sources.

This is great to see, but we need to invest in essential grid upgrades, We’ve got to a point of too much power on windy days, and wind farms having to switch off to protect the grid. Madness really…

This is great to see, but we need to invest in essential grid upgrades, We’ve got to a point of too much power on windy days, and wind farms having to switch off to protect the grid. Madness really…
Interestingly enough, there been a recent trial where the National Grid uses EV cars to help balance the grid and store excess energy. This was via the Intelligent Octopus EV tariff. Usually, you are guaranteed 7.5ppkwh between 1130pm and 530am. As part of the trial, if there was excess energy earlier in the day, and your car was plugged in, you would gain extra hours of cheaper energy. The good thing about the octopus tariff is that the whole house benefits from the 7.5ppkwh rate.

I'm on an a EV forum where people were getting pretty much the whole day in the cheaper rate.

There's always been an issue with storing excess energy, but this seems like a good first step.

⬆️ yes Octopus Go is what we are using for our i3. Very cheap and seems to work well. I’ve not been able to identify if energy has ever been taken out yet or even if our car is capable of that. The Ioniq 5 etc can output power.

A large part of renewable energy is obtained from organic biomass, largely wood and straw. It’s not just wind, solar and hydro in the renewables section. Although some graphs don’t include biomass in the renewables and list it alongside nuclear in other sources.

Biomass (darker blue) in the chart shown is depicted alongside nuclear (lighter blue) in the third category “other”.

Wind (green), solar (yellow) and hydro (teal) are the three sub categories of renewables.

I think grid upgrades are the easy bit. But I do wonder if better than upgrading grids to cope with the windiest days, can’t green hydrogen be produced locally from seawater without desalination on the windiest days?

I think grid upgrades are the easy bit. But I do wonder if better than upgrading grids to cope with the windiest days, can’t green hydrogen be produced locally from seawater without desalination on the windiest days?

I believe it is, the easy bit. Unfortunately, like any capital UK projects, it take 10 times longer than anywhere else to happen…

Interesting read from Drax on the subject

Back