Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is there increasing resistance against EV’s?

What a great article, thanks for posting. When I think about it, practically practically all the staff in my company have said they only bought their EV due to the tax breaks and wouldn't buy one out of choice.
Absolutely spot on. All the people I know who are anti-EV are boomers who read The Daily Mail or The Telegraph and have never even had an EV. They’re afraid of change and the media that they read plays to and confirms their biases.
Interesting, I’m not anti-EV. But I’m not convinced of its longevity.

I’m not a boomer, I don’t read the Mail or Telegraph. Well, not except the occasional article sent to be or posted.

I find EV such an emotive topic with most people. Like so many areas of life it’s polarised, tribal and unaccommodating. Very much you’re either with me, or against me.

I have an EV. But that doesn’t by definition make me an evangelical convert.

I have doubts about EV as a solution. But that doesn’t make me a tub-thumping right wing, oil-burner (though I do still love an ICE sportscar).

I do think it’s a perfect bridge technology. I’m intrigued to watch how it evolves.

@JuanVecino2023 very well said, I'm exactly the same I'm on my 2nd EV with my third on order. I'm not anti EV either (and I too don't read the Telegraph or Mail!) and we cannot continue with more and more polluting cars each year so it's commendable EV's are helping in part. That doesn't mean I can't have doubts about their longevity in their current form or even suggest that alternatives such as Hydrogen in the future may be a better way forward.
I think everyone has a right to an opinion on EV's even if they've never owned one their reasons for not choosing one are valid too.

I really do not want feeding any more garbage thank you and the last thing I want to be tarnished with is "proving" anything. I became aware of the paucity of morals in many politicians many years ago..
Probably best that nobody mentions David Cameron then…

Oh sorry, I meant Lord Cameron :)

Lord Who?

OH!!

I know who you mean .... that bloke who trousered millions from Greensill before it went bust and had a rather close relationship with the bloke who ran it...

Perfect credentials for being a front bench MP ... except he's not an MP ..... which means he's almost unaccountable .... jolly good chap though.

Yes, “Lord David Greensill £12K for a dinner and photo Cameron”.

Will give you something to chat about once you’ve exhausted the topic of Sue Ellan over dinner :)

Don't understand the science but there must be something in the 20 - 80 thing, I've been doing this for the first time with my latest iPhone and it's now 4 years old and the battery is still in optimum condition even though it gets some really heavy use everyday.
This from my i3 garage

“The i3 has a very sophisticated battery management system and while it's true that li-ion batteries generally do not like to sit at 100%. BMW got around this problem by implementing a (to the user) hidden buffer in the battery, so even at 100% the car really is significantly below 100%.”

Just to add to my confusion. Anyway I’ve changed my app from 80% to 90%.

BMW got around this problem by implementing a (to the user) hidden buffer in the battery, so even at 100% the car really is significantly below 100%.”
Hiding the real settings doesn't sound "very sophisticated"

Hiding the real settings doesn't sound "very sophisticated"
It’s not hidden, they publish this information. It’s normal in EVs to have less than the full battery available slightly. 80kwh battery cars typically have around 76kwh of usable capacity. They also won’t let the battery discharge fully either so when showing 0% it won’t be completely discharged. This is for the battery’s health.

Wtf makes no sense whatsoever only the usable battery capacity is real. Anything below this is still 0% and above 100%. How much theyve hidden from you is just marketing guff.

Wtf makes no sense whatsoever only the usable battery capacity is real. Anything below this is still 0% and above 100%. How much they've hidden from you is just marketing guff.
Agree

The correct gauge is that that shows usable charge as BMW do .

No different to a cali showing 0 mile range and an empty tank despite there being a litre or two still in the tank, but below the pick up point of the fuel pump.

This from my i3 garage

“The i3 has a very sophisticated battery management system and while it's true that li-ion batteries generally do not like to sit at 100%. BMW got around this problem by implementing a (to the user) hidden buffer in the battery, so even at 100% the car really is significantly below 100%.”

Just to add to my confusion. Anyway I’ve changed my app from 80% to 90%.
That’s interesting.. my other half has just bought an i3 today. Lucky me, I got to drive it home! My first time driving an electric car.

That’s interesting.. my other half has just bought an i3 today. Lucky me, I got to drive it home! My first time driving an electric car.
Don't keep us hanging.......

Top likes and dislikes? Would you buy one yourself?
Well, first of all it was reassuring to see it had two gauges; one for the battery and one for the range extender. I don’t know why they stopped making that model.
Having never driven an EV the first thing I noticed when driving was the silence and then the regenerative braking. After about 10 minutes I was very comfortable and relaxed in the car and it’s so easy to drive. The steering is very positive and it’s certainly very nippy in London traffic. I really enjoyed it and think it’s a great choice for city driving. When I parked it at home, (we only have on street permit parking) I got it as close to the kerb as possible as I do with the Cali, and it must have been about a foot inside the white lines of the bay!
It’s a 2017 with about 50k on the clock and cost under £12k. I am not sure if that’s a good price but I’m sure a couple of years ago they were fetching a lot more.

Well, first of all it was reassuring to see it had two gauges; one for the battery and one for the range extender. I don’t know why they stopped making that model.
Having never driven an EV the first thing I noticed when driving was the silence and then the regenerative braking. After about 10 minutes I was very comfortable and relaxed in the car and it’s so easy to drive. The steering is very positive and it’s certainly very nippy in London traffic. I really enjoyed it and think it’s a great choice for city driving. When I parked it at home, (we only have on street permit parking) I got it as close to the kerb as possible as I do with the Cali, and it must have been about a foot inside the white lines of the bay!
It’s a 2017 with about 50k on the clock and cost under £12k. I am not sure if that’s a good price but I’m sure a couple of years ago they were fetching a lot more.
Sounds excellent. After 3 months I absolutely love mine. Up with the California as one of the best things I’ve ever bought.
Mine is a 2018 Rex.
1700650445410.jpeg
450,000 miles and, like the California, it will never rust.

Last edited:
Doesn’t have a sunroof, but if it did I would have insisted on a hose pipe test :)
This has given me a new direction. Despite my occasional circumspection over EVS, I was looking at a hatch as a replacement for our Abarth 500.

The Honda E is nearly £650 pcm to lease.

Think a used i3 is the perfect answer. Look good. Good to drive. And as you say, a lot cheaper now.

Back