Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Flashing Orange Warning Light - bewildered by threads

I’d be asking for an appointment with the manager at SMG, tear him/her a new arsehole!
And a convo with VWCUK and a appropriately worded Google review, might make them buck up their ideas too and perhaps save a less savvy owner from being bent over.

And a convo with VWCUK and a appropriately worded Google review, might make them buck up their ideas too and perhaps save a less savvy owner from being bent over.
Vw Franchised a dealer are measured on the feed back / complaints via VWCV - Let it Fly !

Am I the only one thinking that even £1800 seems a lot in the end?
A new, not recon, injector is £350 without any discounts, that sounds like a lot of labour.

Am I the only one thinking that even £1800 seems a lot in the end?
A new, not recon, injector is £350 without any discounts, that sounds like a lot of labour.
Maybe there were some costs incurred at the donkey dealer SMG. Plus the transport to the proper mechanics shop. Then diagnostics time. But you're right even if those costs were incurred that still leaves quite a chunk of change for an injector replacement. Maybe there are other parts changed at the same time.

I noticed that before the fault was fixed, it was mentioned that the van was burning lots of oil.
"Van was struggling up hills and using a lot of oil but no signs of an oil leak"
Can a bad injector cause that too ?
Has oil usage gone back to normal now @Debcel ?

Maybe there were some costs incurred at the donkey dealer SMG. Plus the transport to the proper mechanics shop. Then diagnostics time. But you're right even if those costs were incurred that still leaves quite a chunk of change for an injector replacement. Maybe there are other parts changed at the same time.
Maybe they replaced the set ?

I noticed that before the fault was fixed, it was mentioned that the van was burning lots of oil.
"Van was struggling up hills and using a lot of oil but no signs of an oil leak"
Can a bad injector cause that too ?
Has oil usage gone back to normal now @Debcel ?
I guess an injector could go bad in several ways.
They’re very high pressure nozzles that produce an optimised spray pattern aimed and timed at a certain place.
If the timing is off due to the valve component being faulty then effectively it’s causing bad combustion in one cylinder. This will certainly lead to loss of power and oil from the exhaust (probably black smoke).

Burning engine oil is another thing all together, blue smoke.
A bad injector couldn’t cause an otherwise healthy motor to burn its own oil.

OP stated that the indie he used ran a compression test and all was well. Whilst not a perfect diagnosis of a healthy engine, it’s promising.

I guess an injector could go bad in several ways.
They’re very high pressure nozzles that produce an optimised spray pattern aimed and timed at a certain place.
If the timing is off due to the valve component being faulty then effectively it’s causing bad combustion in one cylinder. This will certainly lead to loss of power and oil from the exhaust (probably black smoke).

Burning engine oil is another thing all together, blue smoke.
A bad injector couldn’t cause an otherwise healthy motor to burn its own oil.
I agree, a duff injector wouldn’t have any effect on oil consumption. It may however cause a trail of black smoke behind the van which could be mistaken for burning oil.

If you get more than one fail it’s normally the fuel pump disintegrating & leaving swarf in the fuel lines.

Last edited:
OP stated that the indie he used ran a compression test and all was well. Whilst not a perfect diagnosis of a healthy engine, it’s promising.
Yeh a good compression test result is a very good sign of a healthy engine, so Debcel must be very pleased. Maybe the oil loss was just a mistake like you said because it looked "smokey". I did read that a broken injector can wash the cylinder out, thin the oil a bit and cause it to burn off quickly, that sounded a bit tenuous to me though. I also read that some injectors have an oil feed which can escape into the bore, I think that is in more agricultural engines though, but I wasn't sure.

It does make you wonder how many more of the oil burning engines replaced by VW for 10k+ have been misdiagnosed and just paid for by unsuspecting people. How on earth they could have diagnosed it as a failed engine, without doing a compression test themselves is fairly shocking.

I think he's, not unreasonably, moved on. I also wondered about formal complaints to VW and I often find bad Google reviews get results, but sometimes you just want to pay the bill and move on. I'm sure he's happy to get his van back. Something we can all relate to. Glad he told us the outcome.

I read somewhere the key to happiness is good health and a bad memory. Sometimes its best to forget!

Back