Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

orange warning lights

inthemidnighthour

inthemidnighthour

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
had the orange coil warning light flashing and the engine management light on yesterday :cry: took cali into robinsons in norwich this morning diagnostic check revealed faulty exhaust temperature sensor
parts in tomorrow
loan cali for the night
all sorted
excellent service from Faith

dave and lisa

We had an orange flashing light on our holiday in remote Scottish highlands and we had to be recovered to inverness (a 3 hour journey) got a carvelle from them thank goodness we camped the first week and had a cottage otherwise we would have really been in trouble! Took 3 days to repair - exhaust re circulation valve- then 6 hour round trip to
Pick van up. Third major problem in 3 months only 2 years old (major oil leak and pop up roof failure with new control panel) not done excessive miles. Will be writing to vw with our concerns as when warranty goes I am worried about costs!!
Volkswagon assistance were great

Had the same exhaust temperature failure, located on the turbo or there about so not to bad for access. found fault with VCDS and ordered part from TPS, think it was about £100. Installed in about 5 mins and been ok ever since. would be interesting how much VW charge for this?

Picking up this tread , last sathurday (a week ago now) while driving on the motorway for about 20km afther departure from home i suddenly noticed the orange coil light flashing on my 2012 SE 140bhp
I knew a flashing light was not good and we had to go at least another 150 km to reach destination and back home i disided to just head back home not using the motorway to avoid high speed .
Did some searching on the forum and google and it did not comfort me reading about EGR valve....ect...
Orderd a simple scan tool OBD2 online hoping to get some info , witch arrived two days later by mail , but did not got any wiser , deleting the errors did clear the flashing light for three sec and came back on .
As my VW dealer is CCN in Amersfoort (Netherlands) i phoned them up asking what might be the problem they first asked to check the breaklights (i knew about that thru google) than they asked if i felt anything strange driving witch was not (revs,engine power,...) they said it would probally be a exhaust themperatur sensor and i was ok to drive but no long distance. I am not going back to the VW dealer i got the Cali in Belgium as they are crap so i phoned a good friend who is 25y automechanic and works in a decent all brand gargage asking if they got the tools to connect to VW software , they had it offcoarse handeling a lot of German cars .
Brought in the next morning , we hooked it up on the professional scantool and a failed exhaust themperatur sensor came up indeed !
He orderd it and putted it in and a second sensor then came up to fail and even a thirth.....
Ending up with three new sensors at 150€ each plus work about +560€ ! 450€ for the three sensors (original VW parts) and only 110 € labor + some small extras.
Having done 45.000km in 5 years mainly longer trips and frequent highway (no daily driver , short rides) i am wondering what caused it.

This came up the scantool
IMG_6142.JPG
Translating:
Nr. of faults 3

Unknown fault

Exhaust sensor
System 1 sensor 4
Faulty signal

Exhaust sensor
System 1 sensor 4
Electric fault

Strange only one sensor (nr 4 ) came up first as in the end there where 3 out of 4 faulty.

Try to get some picture of the sensors
IMG_5521.JPG
Its the one in front standing up going in before the catalisator.
IMG_5522.JPG
The one with the bend in behind the katalisator
The otherone i could not fotograph

Got the Cali back yesterday and dicided to take a ride doing some km as i was plannig to head to France next week and wanted some peace off mind afther a few sleepless nights worrying the EGR had failed.....
Did a trip to CCN Amersfoort , unfortunate there we no mecanics today (sathurday)so did not got to ask a lot of info , drank a cup of coffee looked my eyes out in the showroom filled with T6's and head back home .
350km round trip , all fine , off to France on thursdayevening!

I'll probably be shot down, but the California is based on a commercial vehicle. 45,000km over 5 years is a low annual mileage for a commercial vehicle and prolonged periods of inactivity don't help. Exhaust gas temperature sensors, heated to high temps and exposed to corrosive gases and then unused probably isn't conducive to a long life.:thumb

I'll probably be shot down, but the California is based on a commercial vehicle. 45,000km over 5 years is a low annual mileage for a commercial vehicle and prolonged periods of inactivity don't help. Exhaust gas temperature sensors, heated to high temps and exposed to corrosive gases and then unused probably isn't conducive to a long life.:thumb

I am aware i am low on done distance in 5y but almost every km done are trips outside the country .
I can't help it , i don't need a everyday verhicle and taking the Cali out to go to the supermarket i find useles.
I need to get out more...

@WelshGas , if i was retiered like you i'd be off next week to explore up north for three months , but it is only 10 days France comming up:D

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the problem. Conscious myself that I am not racking up the miles but like you I do not use it for short trips. Preferring to take the bike or walk. This weekend I've done three hundred miles and the mileage is now up to over 2k so it got revved a bit harder on the return trip sticking the DSG in manual on the motorway to get the revs up. Without doing that it struggles to get beyond 2000 revs and therefore never really pushed. No idea if it helps but can't see it doing any harm. Kept speed pretty high with short bursts up at 3000-4000 revs. Flew like the wind and recorded MPG for the trip still up at 37.

Mike

This morning I have cleaned one of the ABS sensors which was all covered with crap.
Re installed it I had a quick drive and the grunting sound has gone.
Will the Orange warning lights clear themselves or does it need to be done with a gadget or otherwise please?

This morning I have cleaned one of the ABS sensors which was all covered with crap.
Re installed it I had a quick drive and the grunting sound has gone.
Will the Orange warning lights clear themselves or does it need to be done with a gadget or otherwise please?
I'm not sure but a Carista OBD dongle used with the app on your mobile phone can and is a lot cheaper than VW and you can use it on multiple vehicles and make some changes on your vehicle such as Automatic door locking at 15kph and other things.

I'm not sure but a Carista OBD dongle used with the app on your mobile phone can and is a lot cheaper than VW and you can use it on multiple vehicles and make some changes on your vehicle such as Automatic door locking at 15kph and other things.
Thanks @WelshGas I have one of those OBD-11 gadgets just trying to set it up. Some of the Apps are rubbish. Full of Ads etc. At the moment the lights come on intermittently 3 ABS Skid and brake with the Tyre pressure notification coming on in the middle. I have checked tyre pressures they are spot on all the same.

That sounds like a Duff ABS sensor. The tyre pressure warning uses the ABS sensor to calculate if there is a puncture.

That sounds like a Duff ABS sensor. The tyre pressure warning uses the ABS sensor to calculate if there is a puncture.
Could be. I took it out and cleaned it. I might do the other front wheel one and see if that makes any difference.

I have an OBD-11 Dongle. Can anyone recommend an APP that flags up ABS. The 2 APPS I have tried do not. Thank you in advance.

Another question. How do I find the part number for new ABS sensors?
They seem pretty easy to install so I fancy having a go myself.

Another question. How do I find the part number for new ABS sensors?
They seem pretty easy to install so I fancy having a go myself.
Any help? This is for a 2014 180

All VW vehicles

Last edited:
Any help? This is for a 2014 180

All VW vehicles

Thank you. The first link does not load. But the second link I am working through and hopefully find the part. I think they are not expensive. Don't want to be off the road fortunately I have moved my service MOT and the ABS fault forward at the service centre.

Thank you. The first link does not load. But the second link I am working through and hopefully find the part. I think they are not expensive. Don't want to be off the road fortunately I have moved my service MOT and the ABS fault forward at the service centre.
The site doesn’t like linking to sub sections.

You‘ll find details of the ABS sensors under the Electrical section.

Ok I have successfully fixed my ABS fault that was causing three lights to show on the dash.
The ABS, Anti Skid and Brake lights. There also came up a warning about Tyre pressure.

I was told there was an intermittent error coming up in diagnostics for the Rear Passenger side ABS sensor.
The dealer told me eventually it would stay on and need replacing. I was quoted over £72 for the sensor and £100 for the Labour.
Apparently its a common fault for the rears to go first.
I went online and found the part number its the same for the Passenger side front or rear.
Cost was £38.88 delivered from Germany Bosch brand I did not go for the cheaper models.

If you are happy to jack up the vehicle and remove the wheel its a simple job of gently unscrewing one Hex nut.
Carefully wriggling out the sensor unplugging it and plugging the new one in and then reasemble.
Can be done quite quickly once you have all the Jacking and removing the wheel done.

I turned the ignition on without starting the engine and immediately the fault was gone. Went for a quick drive No Fault so that's it. If another one goes I will be quite happy to save £134 plus travelling to dealer and time.
The company I used to buy the parts was called buycarparts.co.uk I liked it because you type in your rego number and it comes up with the correct parts for your vehicle. There is also an APP they offer called Autodoc where you can get discounts.
I hope this is of help to someone I must say I am quite happy and chuffed at fixing this as a complete newbie.20200605_170304.jpg

Last edited:
Wish I had seen the last post some time back ...over the past year all 4 sensors have developed faults as described ... Last July a rear sensor plus wheel bearing (??? 20,000 miles only on a 2015 SE 180 ) was replaced ... 560 pounds this year the other rear went ... 230 pounds .. on the way back from the dealer the lights came on again .. took it back... a front one this time so had both front sensors replaced '''336 ...The dealers said that the low mileage was part of the problem , disuse allowing corrosion to build up ..... over 1k ..

Hey Ho.....

I have the orange warning lights issue too. Moo valve sounds off, coil light, engine management light and dpf filter light on dash on trip back from France. Tried regeneration selecting manual but to no avail. Stopped for a break and dpf cancelled for 20 mins on restart but illuminated again. Garage at home didn’t have a spare time slot so tried higher grade diesel in my 180PS DSG 2011 SE. All three warning lights went out on their own after a couple of hundred miles. Hope I’m not speaking too soon and tempting fate but wanted to share. Not ideal with fuel prices as they are at mo but happy my Cali seems sorted.

I’ve just had the flashing amber coil light and engine management come on up the mountains in Portugal. Carista told me it was an exhaust gas temp sensor 4 that was the problem. Rang garage back home who were quoting diagnostics +£80, sensor potentially +£200, hours labour +£95 - all plus VAT. Crazy prices.
Couldn’t risk the miles I still had to to do so called into a Bosch Service Centre. Diagnosed fault and said couldn’t fit me in until Monday (now Thursday with Portugal Day on the Friday) - realised we were on hols so asked me to return at 6pm and they’ll do it. And they did. Brilliant service. Total cost approx. £136.
So big thanks to everyone at the Bosch Service Centre at Guimaraes.
Are we getting ripped off in GB?

I too now have the Holy Trinity of three unwanted dash warning lights on my low-mileage early T6: Tyre Pressure / ABS / Traction Control so bought a Carista ODB2 bluetooth dongle for £25 from Amazon. Took the 12-month sub option in the app with first month free (then cancelled immediately so as not to be billed) and also tried Car Scanner app too as recommended by @Ozzy Pete

Other relevant threads here for future readers include:

Other than adding an amusing dial needle sweep, Carista has reported error code 04193 / 4193 which I am assuming will be an ABS sensor like everyone else, though despite Googling I can't find out which one. Nearside rear seems to be most common failure.

Do I have to go to a VW Dealer with VCDS-type diagnostics and play dumb, then buy the relevant left-side / right-side Bosch sensor from buycarparts.co.uk ? If they're now £25 each I'm tempted to buy four and do them all at once - taking off a wheel and using an Allen key is within my skill level.

All suggestions welcomed please.

IMG_1962.PNG

IMG_1963.jpg

Last edited:
thanks @Perfectos - I saw that site, but it doesn’t seem related to ABS (and doesn’t list my other code).

Loz has been busy

can’t see the 04193 code though

Back