Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Flashing Orange Warning Light - bewildered by threads

I’m fairly open on saying I think VW dealers are appalling at fixing California camping bits like the roof or fridge. But even I would expect them to be able to diagnose and fix a Transporter engine of which VW have made hundreds of thousands.

Have they given you a diagnosis in writing? You can do whatever you wish but committing to a possible £12k bill without a senior mechanic who is capable of telling you what’s wrong? Do you trust them to fit a new engine?

It’s one of the worst customer stories ever. And there are a lot of bad customer stories.

Sounds similar.

2015 T5 California TDI
Sounds similar.

Not good news, is it? I've booked it into another garage for a second opinion so let's see.

I read that thread and began thinking ‘wow, maybe he does need a new engine’. But for that money I think it’s a good idea to get another opinion. These things should do 300,000 miles.

I read that thread and began thinking ‘wow, maybe he does need a new engine’. But for that money I think it’s a good idea to get another opinion. These things should do 300,000 miles.
if I'm going to be splashing out £12000, I'd like a more detailed report than "Requires new engine. TPI print out for parts"

Surely that’s a couple of hundred vs 12 thousand.
Get a garage organised and ask if they know a tow company or speak to another from Google.
E.g
Billy's Vehicle Transport Recovery 24/7 Covered Car Transport Horsham

Both with 4+ Google reviews…
Thanks for this. Billy's are taking it to GCS next week.

Sounds like aluminium contamination in the oil from a disintegrating EGR cooler. The aluminium has deposited on the bores and ruined both bores and pistons. Typical 180ps twin turbo CFCA engine of that vintage. So yes it's needing a new engine.
Here is just one of the threads on the T6 Forum relating to this problem.

Sounds like aluminium contamination in the oil from a disintegrating EGR cooler. The aluminium has deposited on the bores and ruined both bores and pistons. Typical 180ps twin turbo CFCA engine of that vintage. So yes it's needing a new engine.
Here is just one of the threads on the T6 Forum relating to this problem.
Worth doing an oil analysis to confirm metal contamination. Quick and cheap. If I can I always have this check before buying higher mileage vehicles.

Thanks for the info which I'll pass onto SMG and will ask if they've done an oil analysis. Is the contamination issue something that they should have been aware of and been able to diagnose? My dilemma now is: Do I still get a second opinion? Do I trust SMG to fit a new engine?

Thanks for the info which I'll pass onto SMG and will ask if they've done an oil analysis. Is the contamination issue something that they should have been aware of and been able to diagnose? My dilemma now is: Do I still get a second opinion? Do I trust SMG to fit a new engine?
For the cost involved I would certainly do the following. First off get the oil analysis. That will give you a clear indication whether a catastrophic internal failure has occurred. The elevated Al content numbers would confirm the EGR failure. Any other elevated metal content would confirm other sources of failure eg bearings, cam followers etc
Do the service records show the EGR had been replaced in the past?
If all looks to be within normal range based on age and mileage, then go get a second opinion. That would be my course of action. I assume SMG are OK with you waiting for the oil analysis?

Might be worth a call to CLC at Lower Beeding. He is VW Commercial trained and knows his stuff and a lot cheaper than VW.

So.....GCS managed to get it started and then diagnosed a broken fuel injector, which they have replaced. They've run compression tests again and say the van is running like a dream. I'm picking it up tomorrow so fingers crossed, especially as it will have cost around £1800 all in, as compared to the £12000 SMG wanted to replace the engine.

So.....GCS managed to get it started and then diagnosed a broken fuel injector, which they have replaced. They've run compression tests again and say the van is running like a dream. I'm picking it up tomorrow so fingers crossed, especially as it will have cost around £1800 all in, as compared to the £12000 SMG wanted to replace the engine.
WOW. Result. And a Merry Christmas to you.

SMG. WHAT ARE YOU PLAYING AT?
That is absurd you were asked to stump up for a new engine and all because of the broken injector. Stay well clear of that outfit.

Wow!
I liked the look of GCS. It was the photo of 911s in the foreground but a T25 behind!
I know absolutely nothing about engines so I have to have a garage I trust.
Fantastic result.

SMG. WHAT ARE YOU PLAYING AT?
That is absurd you were asked to stump up for a new engine and all because of the broken injector. Stay well clear of that outfit.
How the mighty fall! SMG used to be considered the best and they were my local dealer, until I had a couple of bad experiences… nothing horrific but things that had me feeling that they weren’t particularly customer focused.

I found SMG in Croydon to be rubbish on the 3 times I used them.

Before this thread finally comes to an end, I want to thank everybody who contributed such helpful advice. It was absolutely invaluable. Our beloved cali is now home and we're thinking of ways to spend the £10, 000 we've saved! Have a great festive season one and all.

How can you Trust a thing dealers tell you?

A cautionary tale to all.

makes you wonder how many people are fleeced of 12+k , simply because they have trust that the “Expert” says the engine needs replacing.

Before this thread finally comes to an end, I want to thank everybody who contributed such helpful advice. It was absolutely invaluable. Our beloved cali is now home and we're thinking of ways to spend the £10, 000 we've saved! Have a great festive season one and all.
Might I suggest that you do some shopping around as I believe there are options for CFCA replacement even as far as to being able to source a factory long motor exchange from TPS. Try trawling the internet for the replacement options for a CFCA unit, T6 Forum etc.

Might I suggest that you do some shopping around as I believe there are options for CFCA replacement even as far as to being able to source a factory long motor exchange from TPS. Try trawling the internet for the replacement options for a CFCA unit, T6 Forum etc.
Did you miss the message that he dodged a bullet and got a 2nd opinion from mechanics who know what they're doing. Problem was a broken injector. For which the grease monkeys at SMG would have replace the engine. Numpties.

Did you miss the message that he dodged a bullet and got a 2nd opinion from mechanics who know what they're doing. Problem was a broken injector. For which the grease monkeys at SMG would have replace the engine. Numpties.
Sorry, yes I must have done.

Which branch of SMG?

Back