Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Flashing Orange Coil Light

E

elevan

VIP Member
My 2012 SE TDI 140's orange coil light has been flashing on a recent 7 hour drive. When it flashes the cruise control doesn't work and there is a noticeable loss of power. Then, if I stop, it is sometimes all OK again (no flashing light, cruise control and power fine); and then it isn't; and then it is etc etc.
Any ideas?

My 2012 SE TDI 140's orange coil light has been flashing on a recent 7 hour drive. When it flashes the cruise control doesn't work and there is a noticeable loss of power. Then, if I stop, it is sometimes all OK again (no flashing light, cruise control and power fine); and then it isn't; and then it is etc etc.
Any ideas?

I’ve got same Cali. Happened recently in Portugal after a tough mountain slog - this time it was an exhaust gas temp sensor. Fixed for about £140 in a Bosch Service Centre (expect at least double for any sensor with a VW garage). I’ve had a number of sensors go over the years that do exactly what you are experiencing. Get diagnostic on it - nearly always a simple task (hopefully). Good luck.

These are very useful.
ANCEL VD500 OBD II Diagnostic Scanner for Volkswagen VW Audi Skoda Seat Diagnosis Check Engine Light EPB ABS SRS Code Reader Oil Throttle Position Adaption Brake Pad Reset Tool https://amzn.eu/d/a7PYudl

Allow you to diagnose. It is often a broken sensor rather than a fault as Aztec says. The above would tell you what sensor and it’s often easy to Google the sensor code and confirm in your mind what it is. Then you can point your garage in the right direction.

Thank you for the useful comments. A rather belated update: Lookers (Carlisle) have diagnosed a EGR fault in the system and a wiring and resistance check shows a new EGR cooler is required. They are quoting £1106 to fix, including £460 for x 4 hours labour and £414 for the cooler. Any new comments on that?

Thank you for the useful comments. A rather belated update: Lookers (Carlisle) have diagnosed a EGR fault in the system and a wiring and resistance check shows a new EGR cooler is required. They are quoting £1106 to fix, including £460 for x 4 hours labour and £414 for the cooler. Any new comments on that?
I was under the impression the 140 EGR was relatively easy to replace compared with the 180 so I would get some more quotes regarding labour.

Back