Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bristol propose to ban diesel vehicles by March 2021

You are entitled to your opinion as is this Dr Steiner of the Westchester Medical Centre, wherever that is. Didn’t realise there was such a NHS facility.
OK Boomer. It’s in the States, taken from an article about this issue in the NY times.

Looking at that map, for some of us in Bristol we will get charged a lot to go for a service or the VW garage. Alternatively we can just drive a very long way around and pollute the air more.

Looking at that map, for some of us in Bristol we will get charged a lot to go for a service or the VW garage. Alternatively we can just drive a very long way around and pollute the air more.
From the map it looks like you cannot drive across the city anywhere. It extends all along Portway in the West and part way up the M32 in the East. As you say, it’s a long detour.

Correct, but Organ Donor numbers have not risen in line with population numbers due to the various changes in the law and safety measures introduced and despite attempts to increase Donor numbers by virtually abolishing age limits, introduction of Presumed Consent in Wales and Scotland and targeting Donor Families with specially trained Transplant/Organ Donation Co-Ordinators to get permission.Demand continues to outstrip supply.
I would be very surprised if supply outstripped demand in the absence of safety belt laws.

Sure - the number of driver and vehicle passenger deaths has decreased with the increase in seatbelt use and other road safety measures. Pedestrian and cyclist deaths are unlikely to be affected. But I think that I read somewhere that every road death prolongs on average 0.33 lives. So saving a potentially healthy driver’s life through safety measures is many times preferable to prolonging a potentially unhealthy organ recipient’s life.

A friend of mine had a kidney donated to her by her adult son. So clearly you don’t need to die to donate certain organs. What I don’t know is if that sort of living donation was more or less common before mandatory seat belt laws.

From the map it looks like you cannot drive across the city anywhere. It extends all along Portway in the West and part way up the M32 in the East. As you say, it’s a long detour.
I’d be a little surprised if Bristol Council has any jurisdiction over the M32. As far as I know, the Highways England has responsibility for all motorways in England.

I’d be a little surprised if Bristol Council has any jurisdiction over the M32. As far as I know, the Highways England has responsibility for all motorways in England.
There is now a permanent 50mph speed limit on the M4 past Newport introduced by the Welsh Government to reduce pollution, so they must have some control .

Was on the Evening news tonight about Bristol diesel ban. That another 5k off the off future Value :mad:

There is now a permanent 50mph speed limit on the M4 past Newport introduced by the Welsh Government to reduce pollution, so they must have some control .
I just checked and it’s different in Wales as the motorways are managed by the Welsh Assembly there....

I just checked and it’s different in Wales as the motorways are managed by the Welsh Assembly there....
When TfL took control of London’s roads, several sections of urban motorway were downgraded to A road. The A102(M) was downgraded to the A102, for example, and for a brief time cyclists were allowed to use it.

Motorways within the TfL area, such as the M11, are not the responsibility TfL. However, I would expect Wales to have its own highways department which would have responsibility for motorways and trunk routes.

Could be worse though, at least heritage vw is just outside both zones. Feeder road is inside the exclusion zone and there are quite a few garages down there.

That was quick! No public consultation? or did I miss it?
No, their plan was only released a few days ago, and it was put to the councils independent overview and scrutiny board today, according to the evening post.

I would be very surprised if supply outstripped demand in the absence of safety belt laws.

Sure - the number of driver and vehicle passenger deaths has decreased with the increase in seatbelt use and other road safety measures. Pedestrian and cyclist deaths are unlikely to be affected. But I think that I read somewhere that every road death prolongs on average 0.33 lives. So saving a potentially healthy driver’s life through safety measures is many times preferable to prolonging a potentially unhealthy organ recipient’s life.

A friend of mine had a kidney donated to her by her adult son. So clearly you don’t need to die to donate certain organs. What I don’t know is if that sort of living donation was more or less common before mandatory seat belt laws.
It wasn’t. Immunosuppression and genetic/antibody matching wasn’t so well developed back then so a live donor kidney transplant had a limited lifespan in the recipient so ethically it was felt to be irresponsible to put 2 patients at risk. So a relatively recent development.

OK Boomer. It’s in the States, taken from an article about this issue in the NY times.
Thought it was. Different system there. You get what you can pay for.

Proud to be a Boomer. Done my bit for Queen and Country and the NHS unlike some and prepared to argue/debate my corner without name calling.

And that’s a laugh. The only time you could travel faster through the Brynglas Tunnels was in the dead of night, before the Tunnel fire in 2011.
Since the repairs and refurbishment of the Tunnels the speed limit has been 50, or more commonly 40 or in fact stationary.

Didn't personally call him Greta just his comment which didn't really fit with driving a 3 ton Diesel van.

But if it makes you happy, I'm not perfect unlike some I could mention.

Didn't personally call him Greta just his comment which didn't really fit with driving a 3 ton Diesel van.

But if it makes you happy, I'm not perfect unlike some I could mention.
:D

Thought it was. Different system there. You get what you can pay for.

Proud to be a Boomer. Done my bit for Queen and Country and the NHS unlike some and prepared to argue/debate my corner without name calling.

Common sense and tolerance seems to be lacking when name calling by some is deemed acceptable. The arguments re pollution have to be made but timescale and getting it right are very important too. Politicians jump on any bandwagon and use statistics which at best have some accuracy ( my previous life in government employ showed this to be common place). If so concerned maybe sell up and go electric otherwise you are part of the problem. Now off to enjoy my travels.

"boomer" and "Millenial".

It took me some time to work out what those terms meant :D

Generational terms are interesting things. As a "Boomer" we had the grandparents, "those who endured the horrors of WW1"..... the parents, "Those who fought against Hitler and the Nazi's" and ourselves, the generation brought up in the privations of WW2 destroyed Europe and charged with implementing a new order, how radical depending often on how destroyed.

Generational terms surely should be used to convey respect, not infer something derogatory, ..... <<<. (rhetorical: Granny musings, not anything else)..

Generational terms are interesting things. As a "Boomer" we had the grandparents, "those who endured the horrors of WW1"..... the parents, "Those who fought against Hitler and the Nazi's" and ourselves, the generation brought up in the privations of WW2 destroyed Europe and charged with implementing a new order, how radical depending often on how destroyed.

Generational terms surely should be used to convey respect, not infer something derogatory, ..... <<<. (rhetorical: Granny musings, not anything else)..

The Boomers have lost the respect of the millennials unfortunately,

Agreed, it makes you wonder why millennials have lost respect for boomers...

The Boomers have lost the respect of the millennials unfortunately,

Agreed, it makes you wonder why millennials have lost respect for boomers...

A very generalist comment if I may say so and not something that I have particularly experienced within either my own family or within my own academic profession. In fact, I struggle to think of anyone I know who refers to their grandparents or grand-anyone in derogatory terms. If I did then I would probably think it represented poorly on the person being derogatory.

In my own lifetime I have often found one generation adopts the mantle of knowing and being better than the previous. That in many ways is simply progress. We all like to think we can do better than what preceded us. However there is a difference in inheriting the mantle of leadership and self-belief and being derogatory to those who preceded you.

Back