Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Moving to Bristol with a Cali.... Advise please

estresao

estresao

Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
Hi,

I'm a Spaniard guy living in Norwich for several years and now is time to move to somewhere else. After some investigation I've decide to move to Bristol. There are several reasons I've choice Bristol, but the airport is one important factor because I work EMEA wide and travel a lot (and prices in London surrounding are SciFi)

I'm looking for the most common web sites to find a new home over there and there are not many places with off road parking for a California (with no getting flat of money :Nailbiting paying the rent)

I guess there are people in this forum who knows well the area, and I'm wondering whether they can give some advise about which areas could be nice to live at, safe for my and my Cali.

At the moment, not knowing too much Bristol, basically I'm looking near the river avoiding St Paul area (Southville, Bedminster, Clifton...) because if I could get downtown walking it would my great.

On the other hand I have no problems in use public transport to get downtown and live a little ore far, but here I got not knowledge at all about which places are more/less convenient.

Could you give me some advise please?

By the way, just in case, I'm looking for an unfurnished 2-1 bed place with white goods and off-road space for my Cali, if know something please drop me a line :thumb.

Thanks a lot

Just south of Bedminster is Lake Shore. A 1960's office block conversion with lots of rental flats and off road parking available. Not walking distance to the centre, but lots of buses available and close to Lulsgate airport.

Worth a look.

Alan

Presume you are looking to rent? Whatever I would recommend doing that anyway until you get to know the City. Areas have a distinct buzz of there own. Areas you mentioned are all good, I live by the harbourside and one of my sons is close by in Southville which is buzzing. All comes down to what you want to pay, Rightmove is as good as any but I would recommend a foot slog around the agents once you have narrowed your search area. Properties especially good ones fly off the shelf. Walking and cycling is now the way to go in Bristol if you are anywhere near the centre. Bring a crap bike and a good lock :) if you like life you will love Bristol. Great links very cheap to the airport. I could go on :) If you want a lunchtime pint anytime let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don't do it! have you been watching murder detectives?

It was good wasn't it. Damned good for a documentary. And yes do it. I've lived most places including Norwich. Sound move. Preparing for the onslaught :)

Hi all, thanks a lot for the help.

Mi intention is to rent and I was thinking to pay 800-ish (900-ish it it really worth). There are few options around this money in the city center, mainly bearing in mind the Cali parking requirement.

I was also thinking in rent a flat/house (unfurnished) and a parking space apart.

I was mulling over the idea of rent at Lake Shore, nice places and apartments, but I've found them a little expensive compared with other places I've found (bigger for same price).

Other option I'm managing is to rent out of Bristol, I don't need to live right in the center providing the places is well communicate and I can get downtown walking, by bicycle, train in a convenient way. In this case my limitation is that I don't know the area and, because my current situation I'll have no time to visit the area and get an impression before I move there.

Just did a quick search and for £895 furnished with parking is a one bed flat at Great Western House. Agents are property concept in Clifton. Property is next to the harbourside. I live in block next to it with my better half. Secure parking behind electronic gates. Great city location.

Just did a quick search and for £895 furnished with parking is a one bed flat at Great Western House. Agents are property concept in Clifton. Property is next to the harbourside. I live in block next to it with my better half. Secure parking behind electronic gates. Great city location.

That sound great... I'm afraid I need something unfurnished (with white goods). Anyway I'll have a look to it.

Thanks a lot Michael

I expect they would be flexible with the furniture. White goods are all fitted.

I'll ask, it looks pretty nice.

Trust me they are. Good luck. Just for your info unusual to have parking. I live in a two bed which all come with allocated spot. One bed was first come first served.

Last edited:
I'll stay this weekend in Bristol to view some properties. Do you guys recommend some place to overnight in my Cali?

I'll check Wildcamping, but I thought locals could know some convenient place. Thanks.

WOW!! I could live there LOL

Thanks

LOL Yep it's in a cracking location :) Owned by the council who were going to repossess and turn into a school. Fortunately recently cancelled for at least 3 years. Pub next door.

And often fully booked too. You are unlikely get in if you phone ahead, we never have, but may be lucky if you just turn up. They may have a cancellation you can fill.

Bath is close by (11 miles away) and this site is on the right side of the city for Bristol and has spaces
http://bathcaravanpark.com/

Alan

We are staying at the Bristol Baltic Wharf site on Saturday night. There is an illuminated boat parade in the harbour during the evening. Been trying to get a pitch for a while. Was full, but got a cancellation yesterday.
Can also recommend Alan's suggestion of Bath Caravan Park, and the pub next door does very nice food. Its by the Bristol - Bath cycle path too if your feeling fit.

Thanks guys.

Just got news from my customer and they will assign me an apartment in Cardiff until end April, so I'll have time enough to visit Bristol, know the areas and, in April resume my new home search... well... at least that's the status today evening, tomorrow the situation could be absolutely different LOL

For sure on next months I'll try to stay in this city center camp site (providing I can book). I'm not a member of Caravan Club, don't know whether it worth and whether they will accept a California Beach.So far I'm using Camping and Caravanning Club and wild-camped using Wildcamping.

@Michael, I own you a beer :thumb

Excellent good luck with your move. Dead easy to get between Cardiff and Bristol. My city will buy you a pint :)

Thanks guys.

Just got news from my customer and they will assign me an apartment in Cardiff until end April, so I'll have time enough to visit Bristol, know the areas and, in April resume my new home search... well... at least that's the status today evening, tomorrow the situation could be absolutely different LOL

For sure on next months I'll try to stay in this city center camp site (providing I can book). I'm not a member of Caravan Club, don't know whether it worth and whether they will accept a California Beach.So far I'm using Camping and Caravanning Club and wild-camped using Wildcamping.

@Michael, I own you a beer :thumb
Mind you after spending some time in Cardiff, you may not want to move!
Whereabouts in Cardiff will you be staying?

Almost two years coming to Cardiff every week....

So far I was living in Maldron and Thistle hotels, aside of 6 months I was in SACO apartments (that one was nice).. I usually live in the city center.

Good choice. Bristol's a fantastic place to live, always lots going on, music & pubs & clubs to every taste, a cycling city, train-loads of people from Cardiff & Bath coming for the nightlife! Big enough to be a very diverse city & small enough to get to know people & places easily. Some stunning buildings & open spaces, with or without the attraction of water etc. It's not all ancient history, the most vibrant street art (Banksy) & rock climbing & ballooning, & l could go on sounding like the tourist board! The occasional reports of grim murder etc shouldn't put you off.
We live on the hill overlooking the harbour,there's no off road parking but a resident parking scheme means we can at least now park in our street. Unless you look at Harbourside new-build apartments with garaging, it might be easier to find somewhere with parking a little further out of the city towards Bath, & commute using the excellent Bristol-Bath cycle path.
Good luck!

Thanks Mr. T, I'm very excited about this move. I got good feelings.

Already settled in Cardiff before move definitely to Bristol. Having a vehicle here WelshGas hometown looks much nicer.

Now is time to enjoy Wales and surroundings and start "investigating" Bristol, where I think I'll move late in spring.

By the way WelshGas and other welsh guys.... do you know where can I wash my Cali in Cardiff? The apartment was assigned to me have a comunitary parking lot where I think neibourgths won't be very happy seeying me with a bucket and a brush cleaning it :D

Already settled in Cardiff before move definitely to Bristol. Having a vehicle here WelshGas hometown looks much nicer.

Now is time to enjoy Wales and surroundings and start "investigating" Bristol, where I think I'll move late in spring.

By the way WelshGas and other welsh guys.... do you know where can I wash my Cali in Cardiff? The apartment was assigned to me have a comunitary parking lot where I think neibourgths won't be very happy seeying me with a bucket and a brush cleaning it :D
Sorry. Don't know anywhere around Cardiff where you can self wash. Plenty of hand wash places. Most Tesco main stores have one. Welcome to use my driveway. I'm about 12 miles outside the city. What do your neighbours do?

Back