Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Norway to 'completely ban petrol powered cars by 2025'

Plenty of options:

According to the national grid they have the capacity today to meet the demand at off peak times. Presumably France is the same, in that at off peak times they currently have spare capacity for their use. It may get more expensive to use our own capacity rather than import it, but building additional power stations does not make sense if we have the spare capacity available today.
The current nuclear power stations are old and have had their expected life extended. The new nuclear stations (currently only Hinkley Point C) will take some 20 years to come on stream, assuming any more get built at all.

So I think the statement by the National Grid’s Project Director – Transport Decarbonisation, that we can cope with a total switch to electric vehicles due to the 16% reduction in current consumption is very debatable.

Alan

£1200, £1150, £1150, £950 and £0 (was £1200 pre COVID then £1050).

Does that settle it for the final word?
Going off piste here but my Dad’s Nursing Home is £1200 per week!! One of your flats and a full time carer might be cheaper :) Actually, I’ve figured that it would be cheaper for him to have a permanent cabin on a cruise ship with endless food and drink thrown in.

The current nuclear power stations are old and have had their expected life extended. The new nuclear stations (currently only Hinkley Point C) will take some 20 years to come on stream, assuming any more get built at all.

So I think the statement by the National Grid’s Project Director – Transport Decarbonisation, that we can cope with a total switch to electric vehicles due to the 16% reduction in current consumption is very debatable.

Alan
Boris is on the case, if you can believe anything he says.

Boris is on the case, if you can believe anything he says.

But the prime minister will fail to mention that the only person known to have made this colourful claim about wind farms is himself, in 2013.

Just seven years ago, rather than twenty, he told the LBC radio station: "Labour put in a load of wind farms that failed to pull the skin off a rice pudding. We now have the opportunity to get shale gas - let's look at it."

I think we all agree something needs to change. Whether its for the widespread adoption of EV or not.
Boris has grand plans but theres much more to be done than just connecting the generation.
The uk hasn't modenised its distribution networks fast enough and is still based on a model were power flows down the pipe not up.
The effects of renewable energy on a distribution network is not great for system stability. Voltage regulation in particular is a mess.
Anyway I think i'm repeating myself now so I'll bow out and let someone else have the last word.

Nice to have a bit of debate without it all getting personal though :)

Back