Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brexit , this forum and travel

That's a fair point. We can see and appreciate the many sides to an issue such as Brexit, don't worry. Just wanted to make the point that sentiments are leading and that 'welcome' was not the prevailing sentiment that came across over here during the Brexit campaigns, I'm afraid. Rather something far more nasty. The sad thing is it is not limited to the UK.

Sadly it is not limited. Freedom of nations is often a hard-fought for privilege that should be respected but sadly also often leads to that most cherished of freedoms, that of free speech, being abused by media whose only thought is for the balance sheet and whose only responsibility is to the chairman.

Hopefully we as individuals can continue to enjoy each others company, accept our political differences, and move on with the mutual respect and harmony that certain media elements are currently doing their best to destroy.

Last edited:
The ability to visit a country for tourist purposes including an extended visit of say 3 months is not the same as the ability to work and settle there.
I happen to welcome all types of EU visitors- long term and short term. I would hope that others too would refrain from discriminating between a Polish plumber, Danish dentist, Bulgarian Bricklayer and VW California camping German.

The former all import with them a package of primary, secondary and sometimes tertiary, education paid for by another nation. The latter will sadly return home with this value.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu[/QUOTE]

I love seeing foreign registered vehicles on our roads, makes me instantly think of good times, and I took forward to my next trip.... I also try and help, offer some advice/tips or just get a conversation started and offer an Irish Welcome, if possible. I meet quite a few German, French, Spanish and Italian motorhome owners touring in my local area. German probably the most often.

As I live in Northern Ireland (which is part of the UK) and thus have a UK passport. However, I also have the right to hold an Irish passport (due to the Good Friday Agreement, AKA... Complicated History) so I guess I have myself somewhat covered for easy continental travel.... Unless of course, Ireland leave the E.U. also, which seems the smart thing for them to do, but this seems unlikely (in the short-medium term anyway.....)

Unfortunately, the more I learn about and listen to these Eurocrats, such as Junker, the less I like about this organisation, that is the E.U. I understand we are currently in a period of negotiation, and thus rhetoric flows.... I'm sure this will pass, in time.... For now, I think we need to read between the lines more, and not get hyped-up by the media.

Once all is settled..... We will hopefully once again be a Sovereign nation, and our European friends will continue to be welcoming and good neighbours also, as I am sure we will be, as we are now.....

Last edited:
The ability to visit a country for tourist purposes including an extended visit of say 3 months is not the same as the ability to work and settle there. Why do people believe that if the latter is restricted using a visa type system (which is a common system in much of the world - including EU countries for people outside of the EU) then tourism or temporary stays of residence will automatically be severely restricted too. EU citizens travel on holiday to non-EU countries now without massive inconvenience.
I have not heard or read any suggestion of automatic severe restriction on EU citizens entering the UK for short visits, but quite clearly there will be some inconvenience.

Just today, for example, I visited Gibraltar, entering from Spain. After queuing to enter the territory for just over 30 minutes, we were stopped, made to open the sliding door and boot before being allowed entry.

I recall similar delays and border checks in 1976 when, as a family, we toured Europe camping for three weeks. These sorts of delays and checks at borders are likely to return, albeit with the single Schengen zone. Still, I liked having all the border stamps in my old dark blue passport.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

i often wonder how England did the industrial revolution without immigration and freeloaders.. Brexit is not about campervan imports. it's about a country being pissed off at some arse holw in belgium telling us we aren't doing enough in Africa. as if we don't give Africa enough.

Last edited:
I have not heard or read any suggestion of automatic severe restriction on EU citizens entering the UK for short visits, but quite clearly there will be some inconvenience.

Just today, for example, I visited Gibraltar, entering from Spain. After queuing to enter the territory for just over 30 minutes, we were stopped, made to open the sliding door and boot before being allowed entry.

I recall similar delays and border checks in 1976 when, as a family, we toured Europe camping for three weeks. These sorts of delays and checks at borders are likely to return, albeit with the single Schengen zone. Still, I liked having all the border stamps in my old dark blue passport.

Ironically, the only time I had my whole car searched was when entering UK from Sweden using the Gothenburg Newcastle ferry(13 years ago), I guess for the traveller not much will change since UK is not part of schengen anyway? The passport/border area is arround schengen and not EU, so for example Norway and Switzerland is part of schengen and not eu. But what will happend to a country outside both? Our swedish press is not reporting positive constructive cooperation during negotiations.

Okay. How much do we (/you) 'give Africa' then?

Sorry, off topic, but I'm just intrigued to know. :Grin

We give 0.71% of GDP in foreign aid, a percent we should all be proud about, but well behind Sweden's 1.4% of GDP; Norway, Luxembourg, Denmark and the Netherlands all also gave a higher percent of GDP than the U.K. in 2015.

55% of the foreign aid budget is spent in Africa - so 0.39% of GDP.

So in answer to your question, we give 39p to Africa for every ÂŁ100 of GDP we make for our country - not an insignificant sum.

We give 0.71% of GDP in foreign aid, a percent we should all be proud about, but well behind Sweden's 1.4% of GDP; Norway, Luxembourg, Denmark and the Netherlands all also gave a higher percent of GDP than the U.K. in 2015.

55% of the foreign aid budget is spent in Africa - so 0.39% of GDP.

So in answer to your question, we give 39p to Africa for every ÂŁ100 of GDP we make for our country - not an insignificant sum.

Yeah I kind of knew that, I was just interested whether flying banana knew. But the point here is that, whatever the Daily Mail might imply, what we 'give' in international aid has practically nothing to do with EU bureaucrats (which I assume FB meant by "some xxx in Belgium"). The UK's 0.7% commitment was in response to a UN target, that was set back in 1970.

i often wonder how England did the industrial revolution without immigration and freeloaders..
I think that the origins of Britain's wealth and prosperity, including leading the World through industrialisation, can be traced back to Spain's decline as a sea power following the 1588 failure of the Spanish Armada. Britain gained great wealth as a slave trader, supplying narcotics to China and trade with countries within its Empire, among other things.

By some measures, by the middle of the 19th century 50% of the World's manufactured goods came from Britain.

Rather than declining, British living standards have steadily improved since Dickensian times as other nations have caught up and even overtaken the U.K. This can give a perception that the U.K. is in decline, rather like it can feel that your train is going backwards when being passed by a faster moving train.

The EU wastes money like all big organization. 61million euros spend on a report on classic car MOT,s. Billions send to Africa on pet projects. A French farmer I know as become a euro millionaire on eu handouts, most of which he spends on classic tractors. It destroyed Greece, started uprisings on the Russian border. Its just not fit for purpose.if they want more money from us,let them show the books.

To repeat what I said earlier : the thread is about how welcome visitors to our country will be post Brexit. It is not about the politics of Brexit. Can we be focussed on the OP please as previous discussions of Brexit-related politics have caused immense disharmony in the forum.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Thank you GJ.

Of course our European friends will be welcome as are anyone who comes from Australia, Canada or the rest of the world.

I see Brexit is getting closer now and was wondering what the future holds for us on here, I notice we have many foreign members now but the club is UK based, I am hoping we are still welcome? Also we like to travel to the UK especially Cornwall and Highlands and soon it may be difficult for us. The German media is making it that the UK no longer like foreigners I hope this is not true.
Hello Wolfsburg,
I have no doubt that the future on this forum for both you and anyone else who lives outside of the UK will remain unchanged. It should go without saying that your questions and input as a fellow member will continue to be both valued and very welcome. It should make no difference what nationality you are or where you happen to live. This is a forum about VW Californias, full stop.

We are leaving the EU, we are not leaving Europe. The vast majority of us Brits are a friendly and welcoming bunch and I would be surprised if you are treated with anything other than courtesy and kindness where ever you go in the UK. You may come accross the odd exception as we may also do when traveling in Europe but don't let that put you off. Britain has always welcomed visitors and has always needed immigration as well. Regardless of what you read in the press and hear on the media, that will not change.

Through out the whole Brexit campaign and since the vote, the press and media have been guilty of much mischief making and indeed continue to push their own bias agendas. However, I am certain that the main concern from most Brexit voters was about the sheer scale of recent immigration into the UK and the effects and pressures that this is placing on our infrastructure and services. This has been portrayed by some in both politics and press/media alike as a hatred of foriegners. On the whole I am absolutely certain that this is grossly untrue. Yes, there will always be a very small minority who hold those views but again I don't feel that the vast majority of the British people have suddenly changed their national spots.

So keep coming, you will be very welcome.

People are always welcome into the UK, as I hope I will be when visiting or working in their countries. I work a lot in Germany and have lived there and in France so I know the people and the countries well. tourists and skilled people who pay their way should always be welcome.

Thanks for positive comments, this has made me feel good now but I think you now also need to convince everyone else in Germany of this. The news in Germany is very negative about the UK at the moment

I'd say almost the polar opposite is correct. Brexit is mainly about not welcoming many classes of European.

Spanish doctors might still be welcome, but go to parts of Lincolnshire and ask if Romanian farm labourers are welcome.

A great many in Britain want to be able to cherry pick who can live and work here.

Tourists, including VW California owners, will always be welcome by the overwhelming majority.

Not many British will take up cherry picking tho, it will be the end of Plant/Flower/ fruit and vegetable growers in the UK if they stop the EU farm labourers coming over. The growers just can't get the labour to work on the land other than from abroad, and it has nothing to do with wages below the minimum wage, most see it below them and to much like hard work.

Thanks for positive comments, this has made me feel good now but I think you now also need to convince everyone else in Germany of this. The news in Germany is very negative about the UK at the moment

I don't know much about the German media but doubt they are any different than ours in that they have an agenda. They will cherry pick or slant news to support this agenda.

Mike

Hi Wolfsburg, at the moment I am working on a project in the town of Kulmbach and driving back and forth each week. I think from talking to my fellow workmates that like the news papers in the UK the Germany papers are full of BS. Most germans know that the EU is a total nightmare which is out of control. Yes in the early days when it was about trade a lot of good work was done. but now its one giant brainwash machine.
But I have witnessed over the past few years a sort of sadness in the german people, which was not there before. I love Germany and the german people and hope that you don,t fall into the media trap. F

Most germans know that the EU is a total nightmare which is out of control.

I don't think there's much evidence that 'most Germans' are anti-EU. But I do think it's intriguing that in a poll by the Pew Centre (a US think tank that is unusually politically balanced) 48% of Germans had an unfavourable attitude to the EU - not all that different from the UK's referendum result. So it would be fair to say, broadly speaking, that Germans are split on the EU. As of course are Brits.

Anyway Wolfsburg, I'd be very surprised if you encounter any negative feelings towards German or any other European visitors. Antipathy towards the EU as a distant institution is completely different to most people's attitudes to real people they meet (although there are pockets of real xenophobia and racism in some places and towards some specific groups - as Amarillo pointed out).

PS to my post above. Actually, I just went and found the latest report by Pew on attitudes to EU. And really I should have checked it out first.

Anyway, for anyone who's interested, here's their latest analysis:
http://www.pewglobal.org/2017/06/15/post-brexit-europeans-more-favorable-toward-eu/

It highlights the big difference between people having an unfavourable attitude to the EU, and thinking their country should leave it. For Germany, in Spring 2017, 32% of people had an unfavourable or ambivalent attitude to the EU, BUT only 11% thought Germany should leave. At the same time, half of Germans would support the idea of a referendum.

Back