Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Schengen travel post-Brexit

I suppose you could get a 179 Day continuous stay within the Schengen area Legally, possibly.

Day 1 - quick day trip across Schengen Border/ Also start of 180 day clock - 89 days left of 90/180 day limit.

Day 91 - Return to Schengen area for remaining balance of 89 days of 90/180 day allowance.

Day 181 - Remain within Schengen area as start of new 180 day period

Day 270 - Return from Schengen area after your legal 90 day stay.

Day 361 - Legally able to return to Schengen area for 90 days continuous.

By my reckoning a 179 day continuous stay. Unless of course the EU insists on a 90 day absence from the Schengen Area after completing 90 days within the Schengen Area in any 180 day period.
It’s a rolling 180 days afraid that won’t work. The calculator earlier in this post explains it well.

As a dual US/UK citizen I'm hoping to take advantage of a bilateral visa waiver to stay beyond 90 days. Transit from France to UK if thats necessary at the end of the 180 days.

VISA WAIVER BILATERAL AGREEMENTS BETWEEN THE US AND EU MEMBER STATES​

Citizens of the United States of America can take advantage of bilateral visa-waiver agreements with several EU countries. These arrangements allow US passport holders to stay for a specified period beyond the 90-day Schengen limit.

The Schengen Area nations with bilateral visa-waiver reciprocal agreements with the US are listed below along with the maximum permitted length of stay in each case:

• Belgium (3 months)
  • Denmark (3 months)
  • Italy (3 months)
  • Hungary (90 days)*
  • Portugal (60 days)*
  • Spain (90 days)*
  • France (90 days)
  • Latvia (90 days in half a year)*
  • The Netherlands (90 days)*
Schengen-associated country with a bilateral agreement:

• Norway (90 days)
*Only ordinary passports are permitted

US passport holders who take advantage of one of these visa waiver bilateral agreements must exit the Schengen Area from that EU nation. On departure, it is necessary to fly directly to a third-country or transit in a non-Schengen airport.

In addition, US travellers are required to remain in that particular EU Member State, it is not possible to move freely around Europe under the bilateral agreements. To do so, they will need an ETIAS instead.

Bilateral agreements between the United States and European Union Member States are subject to change.
There is also a pre Schengen Agreement in Poland where 90 day blocks can be repeated back to back but must exit and return through Poland. I cannot find an official reference but one colleague has used this for 3 years now. Would think residency is cheaper...

I suppose you could get a 179 Day continuous stay within the Schengen area Legally, possibly.

Day 1 - quick day trip across Schengen Border/ Also start of 180 day clock - 89 days left of 90/180 day limit.

Day 91 - Return to Schengen area for remaining balance of 89 days of 90/180 day allowance.

Day 181 - Remain within Schengen area as start of new 180 day period

Day 270 - Return from Schengen area after your legal 90 day stay.

Day 361 - Legally able to return to Schengen area for 90 days continuous.

By my reckoning a 179 day continuous stay. Unless of course the EU insists on a 90 day absence from the Schengen Area after completing 90 days within the Schengen Area in any 180 day period.
It's in ANY 180 day period, you can't reset the count. Once 90 days counted up in the 180 days the count is still active if you return.

I worked out that as I do up to 7 trips per (normal) year spread though out the year January trip would drop out in July etc.
It also needs to be remembered that it's not based on a year but solely on 180 day period.
Care would have to taken if winter skiing trips were of a long duration and early summer trip planned.

The any 180 day period being the catchall.

Not really sure why it’s not clear! If you are a UK resident 90/180 is pretty straight forward. If you are resident in Schengen zone then you are resident in Schengen, if you travel from France (schengen) to Spain ( schengen) then to Portugal (schengen) there are no border checks ergo no limit.
Unfortunatly NPR is present across some borders as i found out once when travelling between France & Spain various times over 2 days (some 5 years back). Police stopped me in Spain & asked a few questions at a checkpoint obviously in the hunt for someone specific. They noted that i had crossed the border on more than one occasion & were asking me why... i can only assume NPR at work...

Would you be covered by UK insurance for travel to more than one country? Or greater than 120 day travel in Europe??
Ask your insurance company. They are not all the same so what goes for one may well be different for another.

Would you be covered by UK insurance for travel to more than one country? Or greater than 120 day travel in Europe??
Yes if your insurance company cover you for that, the 90 day limit is a Schengen specific immigration issue, I can still stay in Europe 365 days in Europe on my van insurance policy.

Yes if your insurance company cover you for that, the 90 day limit is a Schengen specific immigration issue, I can still stay in Europe 365 days in Europe on my van insurance policy.
Although I think the EU countries outside Schengen also limit you to 90 days at a time in their countries, although you can leave and go straight back to that country I think.. So you can spend 90 days in Schengen, then 90 days in say Bulgaria, and then return to Schengen for a further 90 days, then home or off to Morocco for 90 days. Sounds like fun is possible still.

Unfortunatly NPR is present across some borders as i found out once when travelling between France & Spain various times over 2 days (some 5 years back). Police stopped me in Spain & asked a few questions at a checkpoint obviously in the hunt for someone specific. They noted that i had crossed the border on more than one occasion & were asking me why... i can only assume NPR at work...
Yes it is nieve to assume that Borders are completely open with no monitoring. Terrorist activity over the years has cranked this back up. Confirmation of this came when information on how a particular vehicle/person was tracked across Borders was released. I also noticed how "banks" of cameras suddenly appeared over French Autoroutes a few years ago.

Yes it is nieve to assume that Borders are completely open with no monitoring. Terrorist activity over the years has cranked this back up. Confirmation of this came when information on how a particular vehicle/person was tracked across Borders was released. I also noticed how "banks" of cameras suddenly appeared over French Autoroutes a few years ago.
Also some countries do have border checks still,

Also some countries do have border checks still,
Going over the Oresund bridge between Schengen countries my passport was checked, pre COVID. I think there are checks in place to stop illegal immigrants.

Going over the Oresund bridge between Schengen countries my passport was checked, pre COVID. I think there are checks in place to stop illegal immigrants.
I didn't have a check on the Bridge, but I did have a prepaid Toll Pass, but got pulled over for a Passport check on the Swedish /Norwegian border, as was everyone.

If they are tracking you through your reg number, the answer must be to own 2 or 3 Cali's

We travelled at around the time of the Syrian refugee crisis. We had lots of checks between Schengen counties, most notably Germany - Denmark. Denmark to Sweden we took the Helsingborg ferry and went through the red channel because of Meg. There was no one to do the mandatory pet passport check!

We also encountered a check between Italy and Switzerland.

At the Bulgaria Romania border (both non-Schengen) they were more interested in the “Car Passport” (registration document).

Or, rotating number plates as used by 007.
Would get flagged up as number not recorded as entering the Country. Could find a Swat type team descends on you as could trigger Anti terrorist Action;)

I never got stopped or checked for anything between Holland/Germany/Denmark/Sweden/Norway in July 2019

2018 I got pulled at the German border in a Cali, both directions. They were looking for stolen vans. Last summer drove 5 times Wroclaw to Calais (not in a Cali) and didn’t see a policeman. Hard to tell, but hopefully good for stolen vans?

In my EU travels, I have been pulled over at the Austria/Hungary border because they thought that my motorhome was more than 3.5 tonnes and I was displaying a less than 3.5 tonne vignette. This was done by NPR on the motorway. My motorhome had been down plated from 3.8 tonnes. When I showed my logbook (3.5 tonnes) they went off to their border post to check; came back and apologised and said that they had amended their records. I wasn't aware that they had records.
Travelling through Germany, I was signalled to follow a customs car which pulled in front of our motorhome, then followed it off the motorway to a customs depot kitted out with a comprehensive array of tools. There it was given a thorough examination, although I think that the customs officer in charge decided fairly early on that we were not smuggling anyone or anything.

In my EU travels, I have been pulled over at the Austria/Hungary border because they thought that my motorhome was more than 3.5 tonnes and I was displaying a less than 3.5 tonne vignette. This was done by NPR on the motorway. My motorhome had been down plated from 3.8 tonnes. When I showed my logbook (3.5 tonnes) they went off to their border post to check; came back and apologised and said that they had amended their records. I wasn't aware that they had records.
Travelling through Germany, I was signalled to follow a customs car which pulled in front of our motorhome, then followed it off the motorway to a customs depot kitted out with a comprehensive array of tools. There it was given a thorough examination, although I think that the customs officer in charge decided fairly early on that we were not smuggling anyone or anything.

I had that in France. Just crossed over the border from Belgium and Douane, front and back, in front "follow me".

I followed to a garage where two hatchet-faced, gloved up custom ladies promptly started to take Albert apart, opening and emptying every cupboard. Meanwhile I am talking to the boss who on hearing I was a historienne de la Grand Guerre and was overnighting in Arras became very engaged.

We were having a great conversation when lady hatchet face one indicated to a box in my van and through hand signals suggested she wanted me to open it. The bosss shrugged his shoulders and continued to have a discussion with me. Finally hatchet faces one and two had enough, with a great theatrical gesture they lifted up the box .....

and stared in horror at my porta potti !!

They decided not to search it.

They found nothing.

I had that in France. Just crossed over the border from Belgium and Douane, front and back, in front "follow me".

I followed to a garage where two hatchet-faced, gloved up custom ladies promptly started to take Albert apart, opening and emptying every cupboard. Meanwhile I am talking to the boss who on hearing I was a historienne de la Grand Guerre and was overnighting in Arras became very engaged.

We were having a great conversation when lady hatchet face one indicated to a box in my van and through hand signals suggested she wanted me to open it. The bosss shrugged his shoulders and continued to have a discussion with me. Finally hatchet faces one and two had enough, with a great theatrical gesture they lifted up the box .....

and stared in horror at my porta potti !!

They decided not to search it.

They found nothing.
didn't they find any 'sheit'

So to close out part of the discussion on Brits living in EU. You have right to roam around the country you are resident in, with no restrictions. Outside of the country you are in, the 90/180 rule applies as it does for all U.K. Citizens. This does mean you can pop back into the country you are resident in between, however as a resident, you have to maintain 183 days a year in the country anyway. There is no extension or exemption on the 90/180 days for brits.

Back