Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Schengen travel post-Brexit

kaf2546

kaf2546

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
So I’ve been planning a long slow European journey, Amarillo-style, once Covid19 restrictions have been lifted. France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Portugal etc.

But having read the EU rules on foreigners including UK citizens in Europe, it looks like we will be restricted to a 90 day tour and then no more travel in the schengen zone for the following 3 months. Have I read this wrong?
That was my understanding when we left for 120 days Europe trip last October. We therefore planned to spend some weeks in a non-Schengen country (Croatia) but leave enough of our 90 Schengen days to get back through Europe to UK. Luckily didn't matter as all put back to 2021. Admiral insurance renewal was due end Nov so some of the 90 days insurance limit was used before then and then a renewed 90 day limit applied after. I had to call then to extend a fortnight into March but no charge for that. They emailed green card end Nov btw which I had printed at Prague print shop. Hope that info helps.

Ps we self isolated 14 days when we got home March despite thinking we were ok. As an aside we expected questions at UK 'border control' re where we had been etc but none were asked surprisingly.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Anthony1

Anthony1

Too young to be old
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
An aside issue that you may have taken into your planing.

Most Vehicle Insurers have a limit of 90 days duration in Europe. Safeguard do but a return to UK resets the 90 day counter. This was also the case with Aviva on my previous car Insurance. One Insurer that I had insisted that the 90 days were on an accumulated basis per year.
My insurance, via the caravan and Motorhome club is 365 years abroad.

GregW

GregW

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Kenny Marsh

Kenny Marsh

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
So I’ve been planning a long slow European journey, Amarillo-style, once Covid19 restrictions have been lifted. France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Portugal etc.

But having read the EU rules on foreigners including UK citizens in Europe, it looks like we will be restricted to a 90 day tour and then no more travel in the schengen zone for the following 3 months. Have I read this wrong?

You got it spot on unfortunately, babble has attached an informative article. We've been looking for a french ski appartment but Schengen has put plans off, we normally stay 5 months over winter with 3 or 4 trips home so could cope next season as December is before any change have, a month at home leaving us 3 months or 90 days skiing. Trouble then is we cannot go back in the summer to any Schengen country until August and if we do it eats into winter days not good if you invest in an appartment so carry on renting and very pleased we have the camper for non Schengen countries.

T6 CFO

T6 CFO

Mike
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
You got it spot on unfortunately, babble has attached an informative article. We've been looking for a french ski appartment but Schengen has put plans off, we normally stay 5 months over winter with 3 or 4 trips home so could cope next season as December is before any change have, a month at home leaving us 3 months or 90 days skiing. Trouble then is we cannot go back in the summer to any Schengen country until August and if we do it eats into winter days not good if you invest in an appartment so carry on renting and very pleased we have the camper for non Schengen countries.

Not something I’m particular interested in but as an outsider I should imagine it’s a case of keeping well informed and acting decisively if an opportunity arises. Exactly what’s going to happen and how it effects your situation must be difficult. Nice problem to have though and I suspect prices are reflecting the uncertainty.?

Mike

Kenny Marsh

Kenny Marsh

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I think that i heard on the news today that the UK will
introduce a 2 week quarantine period for people arriving there.

They then went on to say that it will come into force next month.

I was confused, why - if they think that is the way to go - don't they do it
straight away, why wait ?
Plans are to reopen EU boarders to france on 15th:-

Billylou

Billylou

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
I wasn't sure it would be a good idea to reopen this thread, seems like it got a bit lively, but I didn't want to risk upsetting anyone by opening a new one addressing the same question.

So in the months that have passed since the OP asked their question and considering we reside in a post Brexit UK has anyone been able to find a way of legally spending more than 90 days in Europe over an 180 day period?

For info, a useful calculator.

Tarquers

Tarquers

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
I wasn't sure it would be a good idea to reopen this thread, seems like it got a bit lively, but I didn't want to risk upsetting anyone by opening a new one addressing the same question.

So in the months that have passed since the OP asked their question and considering we reside in a post Brexit UK has anyone been able to find a way of legally spending more than 90 days in Europe over an 180 day period?

I think it is safe to say confusion reigns. As a Brit that lives in the EU under the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement, things are not clear for me, and some countries are more proactive than others. Poland have been extremely proactive in offering support, but unfortunately had their plans to issue an ID card to brits blocked by Eau bureaucracy.

I have documentation confirming my right of entry into the Schengen area but it appears some countries will still limit my stay to 90 days in 180 whilst others I am free to roam. This is one issue that is just going to take time to resolve and will be very frustrating for the small percentage of people this affects. For example if I am travelling with my wife (Polish) and son (Brit by birth, Polish by descent) I can use the EU lanes and i am treated as an EU citizen, if alone, I cannot. Bizarre but that’s how it is for now.

I am sure this will settle down in time, for example Holland are considering offering free movement with the UK in a reciprocal manner, but for now we are all stuck with it. I have had to delay some work trips because I would have not been allowed back in to the EU until I got a letter last week. I am sure that as travel restrictions lift, we will see common sense solutions being introduced.

L

Lightning

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204

It is clear for Brits living outside the EU. There is currently no way to stay longer than 90/180 in Schengen as a tourist.
The only known ways to stay longer in the Eu are to go to one of the non Schengen countries, like Croatia, for another 90 days, then return to Schengen.
If you apply for permanent residence in an EU country, you may be able to stay longer in Schengen countries other than your own, but it’s not clear.

M

Mickyb123

Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
Not really sure why it’s not clear! If you are a UK resident 90/180 is pretty straight forward. If you are resident in Schengen zone then you are resident in Schengen, if you travel from France (schengen) to Spain ( schengen) then to Portugal (schengen) there are no border checks ergo no limit.

B J G

B J G

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
It is clear for Brits living outside the EU. There is currently no way to stay longer than 90/180 in Schengen as a tourist.
The only known ways to stay longer in the Eu are to go to one of the non Schengen countries, like Croatia, for another 90 days, then return to Schengen.
If you apply for permanent residence in an EU country, you may be able to stay longer in Schengen countries other than your own, but it’s not clear.
Rolling 180 day period.
Only work or main place of residence let's you stay longer, educational reasons also.

I keep checking but even as a property owner paying taxes I'm subject to the 90 in any 180 day period.

Billylou

Billylou

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Not really sure why it’s not clear! If you are a UK resident 90/180 is pretty straight forward. If you are resident in Schengen zone then you are resident in Schengen, if you travel from France (schengen) to Spain ( schengen) then to Portugal (schengen) there are no border checks ergo no limit.
I think we all understand it, as you said it’s very clear. The question asked is there a legal way of extending the 90 days of the rolling 180 day period.

B J G

B J G

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
It will from the time that you enter an EU Country until exit back to UK no matter where you go in the meantime.
Until someone actually tests this probably no definite answer.

L

Lightning

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
It will from the time that you enter an EU Country until exit back to UK no matter where you go in the meantime.
Until someone actually tests this probably no definite answer.
That’s wrong. It’s entering and leaving Schengen which counts, it doesn’t matter where you go when you are outside, Morocco, Bulgaria, UK all the same.

Tarquers

Tarquers

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
As a U.K. EU resident under the WA it is not clear if the 90/180 applies. Some countries say it does and accordingly current official advice is to consider sticking to the rule just in case.

L

Lightning

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
There are no border checks, but your residency permit for the Schengen country you are resident in, does not necessarily give you the right to spend more than 90 days outside it in another Schengen country. Just because there are no border checks doesn’t mean you won’t get caught.

Jester

Jester

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
There are no border checks, but your residency permit for the Schengen country you are resident in, does not necessarily give you the right to spend more than 90 days outside it in another Schengen country. Just because there are no border checks doesn’t mean you won’t get caught.
Not meant in an argumentative manor, but if you are caught what are the consequences?

M

Mickyb123

Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
Am interested in how you are going to get caught? Example you live in Spain with residency! in that case no limit, you travel through Europe in yr van for 120 days. How are you getting g caught? Who can say you have been outside Spain? There is no border check there is no record of you leaving or entering any country if you stay within schengen

L

Lightning

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Not meant in an argumentative manor, but if you are caught what are the consequences?
What is learnt when backpacking is that do not mess around with Visas. They can revoke them, fine you, ban you and lock you up in some countries. It depends how long you overstay and what country you are in.