Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Schengen travel post-Brexit

There are no border checks, but your residency permit for the Schengen country you are resident in, does not necessarily give you the right to spend more than 90 days outside it in another Schengen country. Just because there are no border checks doesn’t mean you won’t get caught.
Not meant in an argumentative manor, but if you are caught what are the consequences?

Am interested in how you are going to get caught? Example you live in Spain with residency! in that case no limit, you travel through Europe in yr van for 120 days. How are you getting g caught? Who can say you have been outside Spain? There is no border check there is no record of you leaving or entering any country if you stay within schengen

Not meant in an argumentative manor, but if you are caught what are the consequences?
What is learnt when backpacking is that do not mess around with Visas. They can revoke them, fine you, ban you and lock you up in some countries. It depends how long you overstay and what country you are in.

As for the question asked, if you want to extend for more than 90 days in 180, do what the rest of the world do and apply for the appropriate visa

Am interested in how you are going to get caught? Example you live in Spain with residency! in that case no limit, you travel through Europe in yr van for 120 days. How are you getting g caught? Who can say you have been outside Spain? There is no border check there is no record of you leaving or entering any country if you stay within schengen
The onus would be you to provide the proof. There is data everywhere now, bank records, tax records, immigration officials. You could risk it but the consequences of getting caught would mean that you could lose you residency permit. It’s not worth the risk in my view.

What is learnt when backpacking is that do not mess around with Visas. They can revoke them, fine you, ban you and lock you up in some countries. It depends how long you overstay and what country you are in.
Yep agree with that logic, as some countries I’d rather not be locked up in.

As for the question asked, if you want to extend for more than 90 days in 180, do what the rest of the world do and apply for the appropriate visa
We are now exactly the same as the rest of the world, there is no tourist visa for Schengen for greater than 90/180.
Interestingly the citezens of New Zealand can stay up to 90 days in each EU country consecutively, as their agreement was made before Schengen e sites.

We are now exactly the same as the rest of the world, there is no tourist visa for Schengen for greater than 90/180.
Interestingly the citezens of New Zealand can stay up to 90 days in each EU country consecutively, as their agreement was made before Schengen e sites.
Citizens.

I should imagine that if you get an overstay flag on your passport going anywhere would be difficult.

Mike

APNR ??

ANPR :)

If your passport is not stamped at the point of entry into the EU how will anyone know how long you have been there?

Its a bit like the EU residents who came here when it was open house. They were supposed to reregister their cars after 6 motnhs but there was no way of checking when the arrived and if they never got stopped for an offence they could get away with it.

That’s wrong. It’s entering and leaving Schengen which counts, it doesn’t matter where you go when you are outside, Morocco, Bulgaria, UK all the same.
Copy from the GOV.uk site. Note that in the second paragraph it is a total across the Countries.
Morocco??.

Visas for short trips: you do not need one if you’re a tourist​

If you’re a tourist, you do not need a visa for short trips to countries in the EU and to Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland. You can stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.

If you visit more than one of these countries within a 180-day period, check that you do not spend more than 90 days in total across all the countries you visit. That’s because most of these countries apply the 90-day limit as a group.

There are different rules for Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Romania. They each have their own separate 90-day limits. The time you spend in other countries does not affect how long you can spend in each of these countries without a visa.

There is currently no way to extend a Schengen tourist visa or the U.K. 90/180.

But will the border guards check every vehicle leaving their country with APNR I wonder.

If your passport is not stamped at the point of entry into the EU how will anyone know how long you have been there?

Its a bit like the EU residents who came here when it was open house. They were supposed to reregister their cars after 6 motnhs but there was no way of checking when the arrived and if they never got stopped for an offence they could get away with it.
Was quite a few got picked up by specific Police/DVLA checks in my area.
Only a month if residing here.

Your passport is now stamped. In the near future there will be electronic logs of entry and exit under ETIAS.

But will the border guards check every vehicle leaving their country with APNR I wonder.
Most likely a Passport Stamp when entering the EU and then easy to check on Exit.
Used to always get Passport Stamped pre EU open borders.

Schengen computer system registers you at point of entry ie airport arrival or the french check at euro tunnel. May not get caught whilst driving around but can attract a ban at the exit point, sure the french are already hoping to catch their first violator!

Copy from the GOV.uk site. Note that in the second paragraph it is a total across the Countries.
Morocco??.

Visas for short trips: you do not need one if you’re a tourist​

If you’re a tourist, you do not need a visa for short trips to countries in the EU and to Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland. You can stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.

If you visit more than one of these countries within a 180-day period, check that you do not spend more than 90 days in total across all the countries you visit. That’s because most of these countries apply the 90-day limit as a group.

There are different rules for Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Romania. They each have their own separate 90-day limits. The time you spend in other countries does not affect how long you can spend in each of these countries without a visa.
This confirms what I said. The 90/180 only applies to Schengen countries.You can be anywhere else in the world during the time you are outside Schengen and it will not count towards your 90 days.

Your passport is now stamped. In the near future there will be electronic logs of entry and exit under ETIAS.
U.K. government have recently complained to the EU about the incorrect stamping of passports. It should not happen and does not need to, system has the dates.

U.K. government have recently complained to the EU about the incorrect stamping of passports. It should not happen and does not need to, system has the dates.
What system has the dates? Once ETIAS is introduced they will stop stamping passports I imagine.

What system has the dates? Once ETIAS is introduced they will stop stamping passports I imagine.
Schengen runs a database I am reliably informed that tracks entry and days.

Not really sure why it’s not clear! If you are a UK resident 90/180 is pretty straight forward. If you are resident in Schengen zone then you are resident in Schengen, if you travel from France (schengen) to Spain ( schengen) then to Portugal (schengen) there are no border checks ergo no limit.
I am a US citizen, Spanish resident for 33 years. My Spanish work and residency permit, the same as all EU residency permits, gives me zero rights to work or travel in Schengen countries. For 33 years I have had to deal with the work limitations that UK musicians and artists are now subject to. It's doable, but only if you accept that you will lose money, because the bureaucracy is more expensive than your earnings. Free movement is limited to EU citizens. True, there are no border checks (now, although I clearly remember when there were), so who will know? But we all know that if I had an accident with the van outside of Spain my insurance company would assign a team to find out how they could avoid paying, and if their detectives were able to determine that I had been outside Spain for more than 90 days, I'd be screwed. I could be hit head on by a drunk driver going the wrong way on a one way street and it would be my fault because I had no right to be there in the first place, the same as if I had no driver's license. UK citizens traveling long term in the EU, even if you are a legal resident of a EU country, be informed!

Last edited:
I suppose you could get a 179 Day continuous stay within the Schengen area Legally, possibly.

Day 1 - quick day trip across Schengen Border/ Also start of 180 day clock - 89 days left of 90/180 day limit.

Day 91 - Return to Schengen area for remaining balance of 89 days of 90/180 day allowance.

Day 181 - Remain within Schengen area as start of new 180 day period

Day 270 - Return from Schengen area after your legal 90 day stay.

Day 361 - Legally able to return to Schengen area for 90 days continuous.

By my reckoning a 179 day continuous stay. Unless of course the EU insists on a 90 day absence from the Schengen Area after completing 90 days within the Schengen Area in any 180 day period.

Day 181 - Remain within Schengen area as start of new 180 day period
As of day 181 you will have over stayed the 90 day limit. That's why it's 90 days in any 180 day period, not 180 days in any 360 day period.

As a dual US/UK citizen I'm hoping to take advantage of a bilateral visa waiver to stay beyond 90 days. Transit from France to UK if thats necessary at the end of the 180 days.

VISA WAIVER BILATERAL AGREEMENTS BETWEEN THE US AND EU MEMBER STATES​

Citizens of the United States of America can take advantage of bilateral visa-waiver agreements with several EU countries. These arrangements allow US passport holders to stay for a specified period beyond the 90-day Schengen limit.

The Schengen Area nations with bilateral visa-waiver reciprocal agreements with the US are listed below along with the maximum permitted length of stay in each case:

• Belgium (3 months)
  • Denmark (3 months)
  • Italy (3 months)
  • Hungary (90 days)*
  • Portugal (60 days)*
  • Spain (90 days)*
  • France (90 days)
  • Latvia (90 days in half a year)*
  • The Netherlands (90 days)*
Schengen-associated country with a bilateral agreement:

• Norway (90 days)
*Only ordinary passports are permitted

US passport holders who take advantage of one of these visa waiver bilateral agreements must exit the Schengen Area from that EU nation. On departure, it is necessary to fly directly to a third-country or transit in a non-Schengen airport.

In addition, US travellers are required to remain in that particular EU Member State, it is not possible to move freely around Europe under the bilateral agreements. To do so, they will need an ETIAS instead.

Bilateral agreements between the United States and European Union Member States are subject to change.

Back