Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Chances of European Travel this year ??

CALI FATE

CALI FATE

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
With all the travel and entry restrictions around Europe at present - i am struggling to see a time this summer when we will be allowed to take our vans over the channel for a holiday. What do you guys think ? - my guess is that the UK government may relax restrictions in June / July time for domestic travel, but i cant see other countries allowing normal movement. If EU restrictions are lifted there will be a mighty scramble to get ferry / tunnel tickets. I have just tried the Aferry website and it looks like they are still taking bookings Dover / Calais for the summer - i got so far but didnt confirm / pay for the booking. Im just wondering if its worth the gamble and booking a ticket - £130 return - on the basis that i will go if we are allowed. If we are not allowed, they will allow you to use the ticket in the future?.

What do you wise guys reckon ?

I still have late August booked but am not optimistic.
All three sites that I am booked into have updated their cancellation policies to be much more flexible so whilst in reality I'm unlikely to go seems little point in pulling the plug until the last minute.

Even std Euro tunnel tickets can be pushed out to a later date (not sure about the ferry).

I was offered full refunds for my scheduled Easter & May half term trips.

I appreciate the need to pre book with children or for a specific festival etc., but I thought that one of the joys of owning a camper was the freedom to get up and go at short notice. In the past, I have been able to obtain ferry/tunnel passages at a relatively low price at very short notice, but you have to be flexible. I don't think that it will be that much different when travel restrictions are lifted. Live dangerously, take a chance!

Not yet this summer, we reckon...

Sure hope we'll be able to continue with our planned trip in august, but I think it's a realistic possibility that we wont be able to. Luxury problem I guess.

I really do hope that it opens up for you all to get away to Europe. We have a week in the lakes booked in July and are keeping our fingers crossed for that trip. Time to pray to the Cali gods me thinks

Some of the companies may well go bust so make sure you use a credit card not a debit card for the extra protection it affords

I just can't see vacation travel opening up this year.

The strategy of flattening the curve requires individual governments to maintain the ability to drive local lockdowns and movement restrictions at a moments notice for a considerable period of time. Waves anf outbreaks will need to be carefully managed.

They can't do this with thousands of tourists roaming around.

I'd start planning for 2021 instead.

If people stick to the self-isolating rules there is a chance, but the way things are going with the Death rate increasing I think it is a NO NO

I’ve cancelled Finland for July, and cancelled Kilimanjaro for September. But I have booked Morocco for end of October and I still have Oman in November. Non in a van. All flying. I will see if we can go abroad as I’ll be straight to the alps when my van arrives if we are allowed

I really hope you are all wrong and I can drive to Spain in June.... They wont want us locked up too long, the costs and damage to the economy will drive the decisions whilst herd immunity builds and social distancing continues well into next year..

France has talk of a rolling lock down based on area and CV outbreak level. worried about a stampede to freedom if National same day end to current lock down creating an even bigger wave of CV cases.
18 months mentioned. Political hot potato.

Ultimately there will be a decision by all governments. Economy over deaths, harsh as it sounds it is a decision that has to be made. There is little point avoiding infection (from a disease that still has a statistically low death rate as much as MSM would like us to believe otherwise) if there is no economy to come back to. I think a phased unlock will occur. Older and immuno compromised will certainly be the last out of any restrictions.

Ultimately there will be a decision by all governments. Economy over deaths, harsh as it sounds it is a decision that has to be made. There is little point avoiding infection (from a disease that still has a statistically low death rate as much as MSM would like us to believe otherwise) if there is no economy to come back to. I think a phased unlock will occur. Older and immuno compromised will certainly be the last out of any restrictions.
Certainly possible, but I cannot see countries being prepared to take the risk of importing infections, so I think you will find either countries have a 2 week quarantine period on entering or banning all non-essential international travel.

The worrying thing is if you travel a long way from home after we are all free to move you may still catch it and if you became seriously ill then what.
Its a risk some may like to take and try their best to keep social distancing while abroad and in their Cali's.
Or you could wait until a possible vaccine has been produced.

Certainly possible, but I cannot see countries being prepared to take the risk of importing infections, so I think you will find either countries have a 2 week quarantine period on entering or banning all non-essential international travel.

China has a traffic light app for smartphones. Anyone in Wuhan with a green code is allowed to leave the stricken city.

I have no idea what you have to do to get a green code. Possibly bribe some local official, but I would hope the allocation of codes is done by computer algorithm to avoid exactly that.

And that will achieve what for any economy. I'm all for acting responsibly and doing my bit but ultimately if the economy doesn't open up properly by early summer there really will be little left. Many will be unemployed, many small businesses will have gone to the wall and I include pubs, restaurants, campsites and all the assocciated suppliers etc. Especially hard hit will be those in areas reliant primarily on the tourist trade in peak seasons to see themselves through. Statistically whatever this virus is and wherever it came from it has a relatively low mortality rate. It is tragic people die but when pretty much every death recorded is having Covid19 put on the death certificate we can't exactly gave a huge amount of faith in the statistics even. Nonetheless we need to get back to work ASAP.

Hopeful there should be enough therapeutics to ensure good treatment for the vast majority of cases, universal quick testing is key. The UK lime many other countries relies on tourism as a mass employer. We have building sites open!

I was hoping to do 3 weeks in Italy or Spain when the kids hopefully go back to school in September but I think we will stay in UK this year and support the UK economy.
I think we will end up doing the same. 1. To support the UK economy but 2. I dont think there is now going to be the option for european travel until late in the year. France are talking about October...

DON'T book summer holidays yet': European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen warns against making travel plans to the continent
  • France urges fellow EU countries to keep non-Schengen travel restrictions
  • European Commission President also warns people not to make holiday plans
  • It comes after the UK government warned against all non-essential global travel:
  • 01:42, 13 April 2020 | UPDATED: 07:29, 13 April 2020

• Jet-setters hoping for a European getaway this summer have been warned by EU chiefs not to start making holiday plans amidst the coronavirus crisis.
Countries in the European Union are being warned to keep their borders closed until September by key player, France.
It comes as France told EU leaders this weekend that it would maintain strict border controls until October 30.
Meanwhile, French president, Emmanuel Macron, has called for external borders with the passport-free Schengen zone, of which Britain is not a part, to remain closed until September.
So far there have been more than 130,000 confirmed cases of coronavirus in France and more than 14,000 deaths. There has 84,279 cases in the UK and 10,612 deaths.
Such a move could could cause major disruption for Britons hoping to travel to Europe for their summer holidays.
Ursula von der Leyen, the European Commission President, has since warned people not to make summer holiday plans.
Ursula von der Leyen (pictured), the European Commission President, has advised people to wait before making their holiday plans

French president, Emmanuel Macron, has called for external borders with the passport-free Schengen zone, of which Britain is not a part, to remain closed until September

Ursula von der Leyen (pictured left), the European Commission President, has advised people to wait before making their holiday plans, while French president, Emmanuel Macron (pictured right), has called for external borders with the passport-free Schengen zone to remain closed until September.
Speaking to German newspaper, Bild, she said: 'I'd advise everyone to wait before making holiday plans.
'At the moment, no one can make reliable forecasts for July and August.
'We will need to learn to live with this virus for many months, probably until next year.'
Travellers hoping for some summer sun i

And that will achieve what for any economy. I'm all for acting responsibly and doing my bit but ultimately if the economy doesn't open up properly by early summer there really will be little left. Many will be unemployed, many small businesses will have gone to the wall and I include pubs, restaurants, campsites and all the assocciated suppliers etc. Especially hard hit will be those in areas reliant primarily on the tourist trade in peak seasons to see themselves through. Statistically whatever this virus is and wherever it came from it has a relatively low mortality rate. It is tragic people die but when pretty much every death recorded is having Covid19 put on the death certificate we can't exactly gave a huge amount of faith in the statistics even. Nonetheless we need to get back to work ASAP.
As you say ASAP, As Soon As Possible which may be many months ahead in reality.

As someone who normally spends 3 months in total per year in our Normandy home having only been able to do a quick 6 days in the past 7 months with an ever protracted date of possible return I/we are feeling the travel restrictions stressful.

Back