Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travel *** to *** the UK in January?

Swiss Cheese

Swiss Cheese

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Hi all, I know this is a moving target, but we are thinking of coming TO the UK in January...
Putting aside the Brexit side of things, and concentrating on the covid factors, here are the facts from my side. I'm looking to understand what we can/cannot do under the current state of play.

1. Travelling from Switzerland to UK, probably with a 1 night stop over (each way) in the van at an Aire or service area on the motorway in France, and isolated.
2. Use the Chunnel. We are UK citizens with Swiss permanent residency, so return is not a problem.
3. Accommodation in Wiltshire, no issue with mixing as it is empty therefore quarantine is easy and means no visitors etc.
4. Duration in UK likely 8 days/7 nights
5. Return to Switzerland per (1) & (2)

My questions are along the lines of:
a. Are we even allowed to come (this is non-essential travel)?
b. I guess we can transit France, but do we need any additional documents apart form filling in 'where we are staying' paperwork (not Brexit as I said)?
c. We need to self-isolate when we get to the accommodation - statuary requirement is 10 days? Note we are not staying for 10 days, so I expect we can leave before 10 days is up!
d. Going shopping, even for food, is not allowed. But we can get stuff delivered?

I'm trying to ignore the Brexit aspect since we have all the medical, car, and other stuff covered. Plus UK/Switzerland already has bilateral agreements in place as far as I know.

Thanks for the input if someone has any!

i wouldn't bother mate. january is looking like lockdown number 3 where this time it will be hugging granny at christmas that is to blame. this is likely to drag on well into 2021. what are you going to do even if you come ? sit and watch telly ?

Good points, thanks.
We have some things to check and jobs to do around the place is our main goal.
Second, we (wife and I) want a few quiet days alone - so the isolation thing actually plays well into that scenario, but we are in our own space as a bonus.
Third, we could actually stock up on 'English' things and coming over in the van lends itself to that aspect rather than flying (and is probably safer too). Online shopping naturally.
And last, we have some stuff to bring back here anyway, various eBay purchases and the like that have been sitting around waiting for us to get over.

So, as I said, non-essential and if it doesn't play out the world will keep turning.

LooHi all, I know this is a moving target, but we are thinking of coming TO the UK in January...
Putting aside the Brexit side of things, and concentrating on the covid factors, here are the facts from my side. I'm looking to understand what we can/cannot do under the current state of play.

1. Travelling from Switzerland to UK, probably with a 1 night stop over (each way) in the van at an Aire or service area on the motorway in France, and isolated.
2. Use the Chunnel. We are UK citizens with Swiss permanent residency, so return is not a problem.
3. Accommodation in Wiltshire, no issue with mixing as it is empty therefore quarantine is easy and means no visitors etc.
4. Duration in UK likely 8 days/7 nights
5. Return to Switzerland per (1) & (2)

My questions are along the lines of:
a. Are we even allowed to come (this is non-essential travel)?
b. I guess we can transit France, but do we need any additional documents apart form filling in 'where we are staying' paperwork (not Brexit as I said)?
c. We need to self-isolate when we get to the accommodation - statuary requirement is 10 days? Note we are not staying for 10 days, so I expect we can leave before 10 days is up!
d. Going shopping, even for food, is not allowed. But we can get stuff delivered?

I'm trying to ignore the Brexit aspect since we have all the medical, car, and other stuff covered. Plus UK/Switzerland already has bilateral agreements in place as far as I know.

Thanks for the input if someone has any!
I'm with Flying Banana. Unless your trip is 100% essential then don't come. The Chunnel is in Tier 3 and Wiltshire Tier 2 so you would have to drive through Tier 3. Last week I was cautioned by the police driving from T2 to T3, they were asking if the journey was "essential". I returned home, no hassel all very pleasant. Clearly they are watching - or some are.

Good points, thanks.
We have some things to check and jobs to do around the place is our main goal.
Second, we (wife and I) want a few quiet days alone - so the isolation thing actually plays well into that scenario, but we are in our own space as a bonus.
Third, we could actually stock up on 'English' things and coming over in the van lends itself to that aspect rather than flying (and is probably safer too). Online shopping naturally.
And last, we have some stuff to bring back here anyway, various eBay purchases and the like that have been sitting around waiting for us to get over.

So, as I said, non-essential and if it doesn't play out the world will keep turning.
you are allowed to go shopping and get a haircut. not my idea of heaven but you can do that.
i'm not sure on the isolation rules though but then i'm not sure if i'm even allowed to wear a pair of jeans or cut my grass these days.
try direct.gov.uk website for travel regs. bear in mind things seem to change weekly and lockdown in janbuary may mean all none essential shops are shut. along with hairdressers. so get that haircut before you set out.
good luck

Oh wow. Not very positive then... I guess I will have to look into the Tier things as well and see what else they say. Thanks for that hint about travel between T2-T3, etc!

From what you both say, I suppose the UK looks a bit like this when standing on the Calais side currently? ;)

mordor uk.jpg

-warning- my reply is well meant, please interpret it that way -warning-

If you are 'looking to understand what you can/cannot do under the current state of play", isn't it more logical and probably more succesful to ask the proper authorities than ask people on a VW-camper forum? That's a bit like the person the other day asking on these forums which dog food he/she should give to his/her dog. (I appreciate many VW-owners have dogs but the question isn't really Cali-related in any way.). I understand there's also no harm in these questions. I'm just saying that with a serious subject like covid-19 and the chance that you have to turn around half way, I'd personally ask the proper authorities.

If you are 'looking to understand what you can/cannot do under the current state of play", isn't it more logical and probably more succesful to ask the proper authorities than ask people on a VW-camper forum? That's a bit like the person the other day asking on these forums which dog food he/she should give to his/her dog. (I appreciate many VW-owners have dogs but the question isn't really Cali-related in any way.). I understand there's also no harm in these questions. I'm just saying that with a serious subject like covid-19 and the chance that you have to turn around half way, I'd personally ask the proper authorities.

And your reply is well taken, thank you. Yes, of course you are correct, but also getting a 'feeling' from you guys on the ground is quite valuable for me too.

if you want to save the hassle i'll post you some marmite and colemans mustard
Very kind of you! We are down to the last jar of marmite, and for sure the kids are panicking!

Usually we get over there 2 or 3 times a year and can stock up. It's incredible how much ends up in the trolley at Tesco and then has to be packed for the return journey. Most of this you wouldn't even think of unless you lived away...
  • Crumpets (hey did you see the article about salt in them?)
  • Marmite
  • Proper Marmalade
  • Crunchy peanut butter
  • English ales
  • Tea bags and loose tea, black - not the fruity stuff
  • HP Sauce
  • Mustard Piccalilli
  • Branston Pickle
  • Jelly cubes
... and it goes on!

If you are 'looking to understand what you can/cannot do under the current state of play", isn't it more logical and probably more succesful to ask the proper authorities than ask people on a VW-camper forum? That's a bit like the person the other day asking on these forums which dog food he/she should give to his/her dog. (I appreciate many VW-owners have dogs but the question isn't really Cali-related in any way.). I understand there's also no harm in these questions. I'm just saying that with a serious subject like covid-19 and the chance that you have to turn around half way, I'd personally ask the proper aut

And your reply is well taken, thank you. Yes, of course you are correct, but also getting a 'feeling' from you guys on the ground is quite valuable for me too.
Also watch out for slightly different interpretations of the regulations not only by different law enforcement agencies but also different Officers within any one agency. If it was me I would stay where you are. Also you mention food deliveries. Around here food delivery slots have been booked solid for between 3 and 4 weeks ahead since early summer. Getting a delivery slot may not be easy and as you would/should be in isolation Click & Collect should not be an option.

Also watch out for slightly different interpretations of the regulations not only by different law enforcement agencies but also different Officers within any one agency. If it was me I would stay where you are. Also you mention food deliveries. Around here food delivery slots have been booked solid for between 3 and 4 weeks ahead since early summer. Getting a delivery slot may not be easy and as you would/should be in isolation Click & Collect should not be an option.

OK this is exactly the kind of info that will help the go/no-go decisions... food deliveries and limited delivery slots. Excellent point.

I just took the time to browse the UK gov website, so now I'm reasonably informed there too. But as you also pointed out there could be different interpretations that one could fall foul of too.

I've not booked anything up, and it is early days. It looks like I need to wait and see what develops after the super-spreader Christmas break I guess!

Thanks for the input and replies so far, much appreciated.

True, but if you have friends in the area that you will be staying they could do your 'click & collect' and leave the produce on the doorstep for you.

You shouldn't be asking what you can and can't do...you should be asking what you should and shouldn't do (in the middle of a global pandemic)

Then it becomes much easier to answer your own question

You shouldn't be asking what you can and can't do...you should be asking what you should and shouldn't do (in the middle of a global pandemic)

Then it becomes much easier to answer your own question
Thank you. I will ultimately decide if I should or shouldn't come based on what I can and cannot do and how that impacts the goals for my trip as mentioned (not just shopping in case that was not clear, and also it does not include meeting other people - including UK family - in case that was not clear either).

Hence my questions (to get 'local intelligence'), and also by looking at the UK gov site ('the official stance').

May be incorrect but as I understand it France has a 9pm to 7am Curfew with no overnight stops other than at home. I guess Hauliers have a Permit.

Regarding Isolating best to read this Gov Guide

Assuming that you get to your destination then you are housebound for 10 days.

Thank you. I will ultimately decide if I should or shouldn't come based on what I can and cannot do and how that impacts the goals for my trip as mentioned (not just shopping in case that was not clear, and also it does not include meeting other people - including UK family - in case that was not clear either).

Hence my questions (to get 'local intelligence'), and also by looking at the UK gov site ('the official stance').
Missing the point really...you said yourself it's non-essential

May be incorrect but as I understand it France has a 9pm to 7am Curfew with no overnight stops other than at home. I guess Hauliers have a Permit.

Thank you, that is a very good point about France. I had a quick look and since 15 Dec it's 8pm to 6am, but I need to dig around to find out about the overnight stops. I could do Zurich - Calais in that timeframe, but not likely the return leg so that could rule it out simply based on this aspect.

The 10 days is OK for us, but not if we have to stay the full 10 days, rather than leave after 8 would be the intention. I have imagined that would be fine, but you never know!

Thank you, that is a very good point about France. I had a quick look and since 15 Dec it's 8pm to 6am, but I need to dig around to find out about the overnight stops. I could do Zurich - Calais in that timeframe, but not likely the return leg so that could rule it out simply based on this aspect.

The 10 days is OK for us, but not if we have to stay the full 10 days, rather than leave after 8 would be the intention. I have imagined that would be fine, but you never know!
I believe that the 10 day rule can be shortened by Covid-19 Tests. At you cost which is about £100.
GOV.uk should give full info. on that. Bit of a moving target currently in that what applies today may rapidly be outdated.

I've given up on travel plans from UK until March/April and even that is slipping away.

We had a good chat about it over dinner and decided to wait as well. Could easily be a Lockdown 3 coming as others have stated with a result we are stuck somewhere unexpectedly.

As far the 10 day rule, you can leave isolation before the 10 days is up provided you are leaving the country and going to your departure point.
"If you’re travelling to the UK for less than 10 days, you will be expected to self-isolate for the length of your stay, but you can travel directly to your place of departure." *

* source: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk

Regarding Isolating best to read this Gov Guide

BJG, where did you hear the overnight stops thing? I am traveling from Costa Blanca through France around 28th December??? I would do two overnights in France??????

Thanks

I agree - no likelyhood of being free from lockdown before 1st April in the UK All depends on vaccine roll out.

Tier 4 full lockdown now for London and South East and no gathering on Christmas Day

We are perhaps 2/3 months away from where those most vulnerable would have had a vaccine,

Why risk anything now.

Daft even thinking about travelling, mingling.

Back