Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice on possible purchase please - California Beach/SE (Sort of)

Bryan2411

Bryan2411

2014 SE
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hopefully you can offer some advice/guidance about a vehicle we've just looked at. Its a 2012 California in really good condition, however, on closer examination it turns out to be a Beach which has had an Ocean interior fitted. It doesn't have a diesel heater, the fridge appears to be on/off via a master switch and has a manual roof. Its really clean inside with full history & low miles for the year. (£33k & 36k miles)
I imagine I can get a diesel heater retro fitted, the manual roof is actually a bonus in my view as its less to go wrong, but I'm a bit thrown as to whether its a good or bad idea in general. Sort of feels like 'close but no cigar'.
Are there likely to be insurance issues if its technically a Beach and gets stolen in terms of payouts?
Any technical concerns I should aware of?
Many thanks
Bryan

You should be able to get a proper se that year and that money

You should be able to get a proper se that year and that money

Thanks, I did see this listed, but thought the 180 bi turbo was to be avoided to 2014????

No not everyone is affected i would choose it over a beach that has had a kitchen fitted as you could be buying a lot of trouble my main point is that one you are looking at is not cheap and you should get a proper factory se for that price

Hopefully you can offer some advice/guidance about a vehicle we've just looked at. Its a 2012 California in really good condition, however, on closer examination it turns out to be a Beach which has had an Ocean interior fitted. It doesn't have a diesel heater, the fridge appears to be on/off via a master switch and has a manual roof. Its really clean inside with full history & low miles for the year. (£33k & 36k miles)
Is is definitely a Beach? Could it be a coast imported from Ireland or another country which drives on the left and sells the coast?

To me I would say that the water / fuel stickers, carbon monoxide alarm & smoke alarm point towards it being an ex-hire van. (As a price guide in July this year we paid £27.5k for 2012 Beach, 15k miles, FVWSH, complete with both heaters, 3 zone climate control etc).

That's very cheap!
Someone could have a bargain there if that price is correct.
we went and saw this Cali today. It’s an ex rental which has had a hard life and earned everyone of its low miles. Little/no SH, bodywork issues and interior fixtures missing/broken. Maybe a project, but not for us.

I imagine I can get a diesel heater retro fitted, the manual roof is actually a bonus in my view as its less to go wrong, but I'm a bit thrown as to whether its a good or bad idea in general. Sort of feels like 'close but no cigar'.
Are there likely to be insurance issues if its technically a Beach and gets stolen in terms of payouts?
Many thanks
Bryan
I would look around as if your asking what we think I think your not sure yourself. There will be a Cali out there, clean with a service history for you.

Many thanks
Bryan
Retrofitting a diesel heater will not be cheap but they are the dogs ........ I would concur with the majority and suggest a genuine SE, better when it comes to you selling on.

Thanks, I did see this listed, but thought the 180 bi turbo was to be avoided to 2014????
There are solutions to be found on here which circumvent the issue I think you are referring to.

Is the seller totally upfront about the conversion and how/why they did it? Receipts , photos etc like would be expected when buying a transporter conversion??

If not would suggest steer well clear

Looked at this advert as I am looking for a Cali. How can I speak to you in private?.
I am a member but new to the site

Looked at this advert as I am looking for a Cali. How can I speak to you in private?.
Welcome to the forum!
A couple of helpful hints: Use the Reply button to answer a specific message, otherwise it can be difficult to know which message you are responding to. And, only VIP members can send PMs, otherwise you will have to publish your email or phone, which is not recommended.

which advert are you talking about?

which advert are you talking about?
Bryan2411 said he went to see a Cali in Lincoln which is an ex rental. I was also interested in this van but to save a possible expensive journey from N Wales wanted to have a word with him first.

Hi there, currently driving back in my new Cali!!! Not the Lincoln one. More than happy to discuss my opinion of it. Just pm me. Might reply tomorrow now as I’m knackered and yet to get home!

[
Hi there, currently driving back in my new Cali!!! Not the Lincoln one. More than happy to discuss my opinion of it. Just pm me. Might reply tomorrow now as I’m knackered and yet to get home!

Hi Bryan, Look forward to when I shall be driving home in mine!!
Thank you for getting in touch. I have a problem I am not a VIP Member so cannot PM you. Is there any other way we can make contact, or will I have to give my e-mail over the open mail?.
John

[

Hi Bryan, Look forward to when I shall be driving home in mine!!
Thank you for getting in touch. I have a problem I am not a VIP Member so cannot PM you. Is there any other way we can make contact, or will I have to give my e-mail over the open mail?.
John
John,
It appears without the ability to PM thats what you’ll have to do. When I know what it is. I’ll send you my mobile number.
Cheers
Bryan

The Forum software scrambles email addresses. Take a photo of the address and upload the photo.
That’s a good idea. Never thought of that.
Worth editing the post once read though and deleting the photo.

Back