Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New order placed - front seats question (electric vs...)

two-saabs

two-saabs

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Hi all

Very happy to join the forum. I've been reading through the great info here, very helpful.

I just placed an order for a new California Beach, its a "good" spec, not everything ticked, but some helpful extras like electric roof and stand-alone heater.

We're in Switzerland, the options are a bit different, but the VW is still as bad as the UK with its not-great descriptions! I just tried the VW chat and they also did not know the answers (Swiss and UK).

One question we're stuck on is the front seats. We've ticked the "Height adjustment driver's front seat" option, as having a perfect driving position is more important to us than the swivel, and my wife is a bit shorter than me.

However... now we had a chance to drive a fairly similar model and my wife feels the adjustments are not that easy to make, and as this will be our daily driver, that's probably 1 or 2 times a day changing the position. Could get tedious.

My questions are:
  1. Has anyone ordered the manual seats then found they're a pain day-to-day to change between drivers?
  2. Has anyone ordered the electric memory seats and would recommend or not recommend getting them? (Perhaps due to the cost or other reasons)
  3. Do the electric memory seats have height adjustment?
  4. Lastly if we select electric memory driver seat you have to select the fancy art velour interior. It's nice, but the 2 options add 3,000 swiss francs to the price. But worth it? Anyone loving their art velor, or would advice just saving the money? Or anyone skipped that and now wish they'd got it?
I appreciate there is some subjectivity and personal preference, but that feedback would also be really helpful in trying to decide what's best, as the sales guys at our local dealers don't seem to be able to put themselves in our shoes.

All help much appreciated.

Cheers
Dan

I would say that, assuming that you are getting LHD non swivelling drivers seat is less of an issue than RHD, where the “non kitchen side“ seat really needs to be able to swivel. I can‘t comment on the height adjustment.
You say you have gone for the powered roof? I think many of us in the UK who had no option but to have powered would haven chosen the manual option had it been available.

If it helps, I am 1.9m tall and the co-pilot is 1.52m tall. We have fixed height seats and can both find comfortable driving positions in a RHD van. It seems, for us at least, the more upright driving position negates the need to adjust seat height. In previous vehicles I had the seat on the floor and my wife had it set high.

We are of course all different though.

As an aside we always rotate the left hand seat but no one ever sits on it. Even the dog refuses.

I would say that, assuming that you are getting LHD non swivelling drivers seat is less of an issue than RHD, where the “non kitchen side“ seat really needs to be able to swivel. I can‘t comment on the height adjustment.
You say you have gone for the powered roof? I think many of us in the UK who had no option but to have powered would haven chosen the manual option had it been available.
Hi Graham,

Thanks for the views.

We just nipped over to the deal and tried both with and without height adjustment, we'll definitely take height adjustment as it made it just that bit more perfect a position for us.

The powered roof, well I would prefer to save the cash, but then we both went and tried the manual roof and it was not that easy to close! I was hanging off the handle, and trying to fold and clip the roof close was not easy. I think my wife could not do it on her own, and as we want to be independently using the van then it electric roof is the answer.

Why would you choose manual? Less to go wrong?

If it helps, I am 1.9m tall and the co-pilot is 1.52m tall. We have fixed height seats and can both find comfortable driving positions in a RHD van. It seems, for us at least, the more upright driving position negates the need to adjust seat height. In previous vehicles I had the seat on the floor and my wife had it set high.

We are of course all different though.

As an aside we always rotate the left hand seat but no one ever sits on it. Even the dog refuses.
Thanks Jim

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the views.

We just nipped over to the deal and tried both with and without height adjustment, we'll definitely take height adjustment as it made it just that bit more perfect a position for us.

The powered roof, well I would prefer to save the cash, but then we both went and tried the manual roof and it was not that easy to close! I was hanging off the handle, and trying to fold and clip the roof close was not easy. I think my wife could not do it on her own, and as we want to be independently using the van then it electric roof is the answer.

Why would you choose manual? Less to go wrong?
Whilst the powered roof makes life easier if/when they go wrong they are a potential expensive nightmare.
Mine has not caused me any real problems apart from a slight sag on one side which auto corrects (normally in the middle of the night). Its been like that since new and is not considered a fault by VW, but suggests that there’s a hydraulic seal not doing its job!
Its worth familiarising yourself with the procedure for dropping the powered roof manually (in emergency) as it’s not that straightforward! Lots of posts on the topic and tips on how to access the release screw.

Really good info, thanks, I'll keep on reading. I put the order in last week so it's early days for changes

Really good info, thanks, I'll keep on reading. I put the order in last week so it's early days for changes
7 years and absolutely no problems with the hydraulic roof. :thumb :thumb

Hi Two-Saabs,

the manual roof is easy to put down when the sliding door is open, it helps to allow the volume of air within the van to escape when the roof is pulled down. Without opening the side door or both front doors the roof will resist being pulled down. Opening the doors prior to dropping the powered roof is recommended by VW on both power and manual roof.
the Buckles and clips are easy, although they can be stiff on a new van, they quickly free up.

Hi Two-Saabs,

the manual roof is easy to put down when the sliding door is open, it helps to allow the volume of air within the van to escape when the roof is pulled down. Without opening the side door or both front doors the roof will resist being pulled down. Opening the doors prior to dropping the powered roof is recommended by VW on both power and manual roof.
the Buckles and clips are easy, although they can be stiff on a new van, they quickly free up.
Hi Perfectos

That's what I was most surprised at, it was for sure difficult. And this was with the sales guy, in the showroom, windows and doors open. I asked if this was just because the struts are new, and the roof is open all the time (for demo reasons), but he says its normal (who knows at this point).

My logic is, many people of various ages and abilities are using these manual roofs, so it *must* be easy enough, but experiencing it first hand left us reaching for the extra cash.

On the same topic, and trying to use good logic, I figure we either have a guaranteed issue (with a difficult to close manual roof) vs a potential issue (with an electric roof breaking in some years time). Therefore choosing electric.

7 years and absolutely no problems with the hydraulic roof. :thumb :thumb
Well this is reassuring!

Were there any statistics available on the fail rate of the roof? Or is it a case of the happy customers don't post on forums, so we have a biased view?

Well this is reassuring!

Were there any statistics available on the fail rate of the roof? Or is it a case of the happy customers don't post on forums, so we have a biased view?
I believe we have a very biased view. Yes, there are occasional problems, some are within the warranty period and sorted by VW and others are on older vehicles 10yrs plus, with one or two in-between .
As you say, people post when it doesn't work but rarely, if ever, that everything works as it should.
Personally, I wouldn't be without it and if it fails I'll get it fixed just as I would my central heating boiler.

We have found we do not rotate the left hand drivers seat in our 3 seat beach. Spin the passenger seat around but the drivers on stays put. I was thinking if I spec again, electric adjustable would be something to add.

there is a definite technique on the manual roof when new, but having had practice it’s fine. Electric does let you use a roof box without hassle and I would spec electric.

We have found we do not rotate the left hand drivers seat in our 3 seat beach. Spin the passenger seat around but the drivers on stays put. I was thinking if I spec again, electric adjustable would be something to add.

there is a definite technique on the manual roof when new, but having had practice it’s fine. Electric does let you use a roof box without hassle and I would spec electric.
Very helpful, thank you

Very helpful, thank you
One thing I would spec is the electrical hook up. The performance of the boost charging is nowhere near as good as plugging into the mains to give your leisure battery a boost. See a few beaches without and I wouldn’t recommend it.

I believe we have a very biased view. Yes, there are occasional problems, some are within the warranty period and sorted by VW and others are on older vehicles 10yrs plus, with one or two in-between .
As you say, people post when it doesn't work but rarely, if ever, that everything works as it should.
Personally, I wouldn't be without it and if it fails I'll get it fixed just as I would my central heating boiler.

One thing I would spec is the electrical hook up. The performance of the boost charging is nowhere near as good as plugging into the mains to give your leisure battery a boost. See a few beaches without and I wouldn’t recommend it.
Good tip, the sales guy advised the same so we took the advice

Thanks to all the advice, I've updated my order with the dealer, for both electric memory drivers seat + art velour interior

Hi all

Very happy to join the forum. I've been reading through the great info here, very helpful.

I just placed an order for a new California Beach, its a "good" spec, not everything ticked, but some helpful extras like electric roof and stand-alone heater.

We're in Switzerland, the options are a bit different, but the VW is still as bad as the UK with its not-great descriptions! I just tried the VW chat and they also did not know the answers (Swiss and UK).

One question we're stuck on is the front seats. We've ticked the "Height adjustment driver's front seat" option, as having a perfect driving position is more important to us than the swivel, and my wife is a bit shorter than me.

However... now we had a chance to drive a fairly similar model and my wife feels the adjustments are not that easy to make, and as this will be our daily driver, that's probably 1 or 2 times a day changing the position. Could get tedious.

My questions are:
  1. Has anyone ordered the manual seats then found they're a pain day-to-day to change between drivers?
  2. Has anyone ordered the electric memory seats and would recommend or not recommend getting them? (Perhaps due to the cost or other reasons)
  3. Do the electric memory seats have height adjustment?
  4. Lastly if we select electric memory driver seat you have to select the fancy art velour interior. It's nice, but the 2 options add 3,000 swiss francs to the price. But worth it? Anyone loving their art velor, or would advice just saving the money? Or anyone skipped that and now wish they'd got it?
I appreciate there is some subjectivity and personal preference, but that feedback would also be really helpful in trying to decide what's best, as the sales guys at our local dealers don't seem to be able to put themselves in our shoes.

All help much appreciated.

Cheers
Dan
I ordered the memory seat for the driver seat (left side) and swivel for the passenger seat the kitchen is in the way if you turn the driver seat so it’s better to have memory seat as a daily driver

I ordered the memory seat for the driver seat (left side) and swivel for the passenger seat the kitchen is in the way if you turn the driver seat so it’s better to have memory seat as a daily driver
Thanks, yeah that was my conclusion too and I'm sticking to it ! :)

That's what I was going to suggest, that way you can still swivel the one on the passenger side.

Back