Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6.1 2 day hire - initially disappointed, but now ordered!

I think will wander thought Phil would be a 1 post wonder, slate the Cali
and be off.

Little did he know that Phil is going for the record - longest running thread -
and is now going to order the highest spec van possible. :)
only because we've helped him a lot to spend a lot of his money

Phil,
In post #64 you said "She is just having second thoughts about it all now, so I need to convince her it's still a great option if we get the right van".

Never mind about anything else, how in the convincing going?

Being serious, Calis are great vehicles but don't "push that button" unless you are both of a similar mind.

Phil,
In post #64 you said "She is just having second thoughts about it all now, so I need to convince her it's still a great option if we get the right van".

Being serious, Calis are great vehicles but don't "push that button" unless you are both of a similar mind.
In Germany they say: the wife chooses the car , the husband chooses the engine...

Definitely not. Having had both versions I would go for the manual version every time. It's simple, effective and quiet.

That's not to say that the electro/hydraulic roof is a bad solution. It isn't. If you have difficulty in standing up or suffer from arthritis in the hands or fingers then it's probably the better one to go for. However I would suggest that for every one else it's just another unessesarily complicated gadget.

It's almost certainly true what @WelshGas has said, in that the vast majority of these EH roofs never give any problems but you only have to read this forum to realise that problems do occur. There are many posts about the roof sagging on one side, roofs getting stuck in the up position and various control panel issues. Less frequent issues such as leaking pipework and faulty hydraulic pumps get a mention from time to time along with exploding hydraulic rams. So problems aren't unheard of.

The manual version is a different matter though. It performs exactly the same function in a quicker and quieter manner without any of the drama. There is no hydraulic pump or fluid to leak, no wiring or electronic control panels to go wrong and never presents any issues with it getting stuck in the up position or sagging on one side. The manual roof is either up or down and that's it. I would even say that it's easier to monitor when bringing it down since the best way to do this is by standing between the front seats facing rearwards whilst pulling down on the transversal bar. During this process you can help the canvas to fold in correctly thus avoiding any trapped canvas damage. By contrast how many owners with EH roofs just sit and press the button? I'm sure that they can't all be aware of what their canvas is doing, possibly until it's too late!

I don't know the figures relating to number of faults for each version but what I do know is that whilst there are very many posts on this forum about issues with the EH version, any relating to the manual roof are very difficult to find indeed.

Further more it appears that the T6-1 EH roof appears to be presenting a whole lot of issues of its own which isn't a good start.

I must just say that the only two potential issues with the manual version are:

1. The over lock securing catches can be rather stiff to operate at first and can need a fair amount of force to snap them shut. However, they can be adjusted to suit.

2. If you are not careful, it is possible to trap the roof canvas between the over lock catches and their corresponding hook when securing the roof. This will result in the catch assembly punching two small holes in the roof canvas. It is easily avoided by: a. ensuring that the canvas is pushed back behind the stubby seat belt webbing tab located behind the over lock catch, and: b. Doing a visual check before snapping the catch shut. You can easily see if both halves of the catch are clear of canvas.

Some great points. I’ve had both. The electric roof is great but I wouldn’t want one out of warranty, simple as that. Cost of fixing is one thing but the hassle factor would be huge.

and be off.

It certainly beats people talking about CV and B*#%*#.

and be off.

Naw..............a mere piffle

This is what you call a thread ..............5009 views on one topic..........well it is a vw................https://vwsplitty.proboards.com/thread/1425/junes-karman-kab-resto-pics

Hi Karlos, I don't think so, no. I tried to hire a 150 Ocean from the same place, they had midweek availability but it's a manual and therefore not a 6.1, so not much point. We are going to have a look at the Coast on Monday. That will suffice. It's at Liverpool so will be interesting to see what they can do for us.....
Bought our Ocean from John Mason at Liverpool, good guy and easy to work with. I've just had a Drive the Deal quote for a 150 Coast in red with 17inch wheels, tow bar comfort mattress and front opening bellow, came in just below 52k.

I think the Coast Liverpool have in the showroom is white.

True we have no actual stats (and as a sample of one, my roof has worked fine for 4+ years). But I just know that the day the mechanism goes bush will be the day we're heading out on a long trip somewhere, and we actively dislike sleeping 'downstairs' so I would be gnashing my teeth.

I assume the reason VW include emergency roof tie-down straps with every new Cali isn't some Teutonic indulgence? ;)

Out of interest, people with (manual roof) Beaches or Coasts, how hard is it to be without the electro-hydraulic roof? Would you have gone for it if it has been an option?
Speaking from our own experience the first couple of times you raise / lower the manual roof you think you’d like the hydraulic one! Once you’ve got the knack of the manual it’s quick and easy. Would we go hydraulic if it was an option? Probably not.

As Welshgas said most people don't go on the forums to praise how well something works. Usually the opposite.

I know when I demo'd an Ocean the first thing he showed us was the power door and roof so to newbies its obviously considered the major selling point. Worked on us!

On another point do you only get the emergency tie down staps with the electric roof then?
Yes, tie down electric only

As Welshgas said most people don't go on the forums to praise how well something works. Usually the opposite.

I know when I demo'd an Ocean the first thing he showed us was the power door and roof so to newbies its obviously considered the major selling point. Worked on us!

On another point do you only get the emergency tie down staps with the electric roof then?
The manual roof has a manual securing system that is employed each time the roof is closed. The electro-hydraulic roof secures the roof with the last couple of seconds of the mechanism. A hook is engaged by the moving ram. If this mechanism fails, the roof is not secure so an emergency tie down strap is supplied to stop the roof from flying up if driven. It is designed for a (hopefully short) journey to get the roof repaired.

I’ve got an Ocean and never had a problem.
By choice though I would still have a manual.
My issue is not having a simple procedure should it go wrong.
Having to do the below is ridiculous -

7cff7efa9c2c447df6d90f10dbbf7de3.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
The manual roof has a manual securing system that is employed each time the roof is closed. The electro-hydraulic roof secures the roof with the last couple of seconds of the mechanism. A hook is engaged by the moving ram. If this mechanism fails, the roof is not secure so an emergency tie down strap is supplied to stop the roof from flying up if driven. It is designed for a (hopefully short) journey to get the roof repaired.

Seems strange to include a contingency measure for possible failure but I guess not that different from things like limp mode, shouldn't be needed but ....

Seems strange to include a contingency measure for possible failure but I guess not that different from things like limp mode, shouldn't be needed but ....
Spare wheel, spare bulbs, jump start cables, ...
All should not be needed, but comes in handy some times.

Definitely not. Having had both versions I would go for the manual version every time. It's simple, effective and quiet.

That's not to say that the electro/hydraulic roof is a bad solution. It isn't. If you have difficulty in standing up or suffer from arthritis in the hands or fingers then it's probably the better one to go for. However I would suggest that for every one else it's just another unessesarily complicated gadget.

It's almost certainly true what @WelshGas has said, in that the vast majority of these EH roofs never give any problems but you only have to read this forum to realise that problems do occur. There are many posts about the roof sagging on one side, roofs getting stuck in the up position and various control panel issues. Less frequent issues such as leaking pipework and faulty hydraulic pumps get a mention from time to time along with exploding hydraulic rams. So problems aren't unheard of.

The manual version is a different matter though. It performs exactly the same function in a quicker and quieter manner without any of the drama. There is no hydraulic pump or fluid to leak, no wiring or electronic control panels to go wrong and never presents any issues with it getting stuck in the up position or sagging on one side. The manual roof is either up or down and that's it. I would even say that it's easier to monitor when bringing it down since the best way to do this is by standing between the front seats facing rearwards whilst pulling down on the transversal bar. During this process you can help the canvas to fold in correctly thus avoiding any trapped canvas damage. By contrast how many owners with EH roofs just sit and press the button? I'm sure that they can't all be aware of what their canvas is doing, possibly until it's too late!

I don't know the figures relating to number of faults for each version but what I do know is that whilst there are very many posts on this forum about issues with the EH version, any relating to the manual roof are very difficult to find indeed.

Further more it appears that the T6-1 EH roof appears to be presenting a whole lot of issues of its own which isn't a good start.

I must just say that the only two potential issues with the manual version are:

1. The over lock securing catches can be rather stiff to operate at first and can need a fair amount of force to snap them shut. However, they can be adjusted to suit.

2. If you are not careful, it is possible to trap the roof canvas between the over lock catches and their corresponding hook when securing the roof. This will result in the catch assembly punching two small holes in the roof canvas. It is easily avoided by: a. ensuring that the canvas is pushed back behind the stubby seat belt webbing tab located behind the over lock catch, and: b. Doing a visual check before snapping the catch shut. You can easily see if both halves of the catch are clear of canvas.
We have a manual one.
The first time it's always a bit difficult, after that it goes by itself.
Matter of experience...

Spare wheel, spare bulbs, jump start cables, ...
All should not be needed, but comes in handy some times.
True but all of those things are for wear and tear or external lnfluences. I guess as the cali is a recreational vehicle they wanted to cover any eventualities.
I'm still happy with my desision to go for the Ocean but i'll definately be getting the extended waranty!

Last edited:
Bought our Ocean from John Mason at Liverpool, good guy and easy to work with. I've just had a Drive the Deal quote for a 150 Coast in red with 17inch wheels, tow bar comfort mattress and front opening bellow, came in just below 52k.

I think the Coast Liverpool have in the showroom is white.

Go on, you know you want to! If you buy a Coast with the standard 16’s, I’ll buy them off you if you want bigger wheels. Would look nice on my Beach (which is definitely a keeper).

Go on, you know you want to! If you buy a Coast with the standard 16’s, I’ll buy them off you if you want bigger wheels. Would look nice on my Beach (which is definitely a keeper).
No No No No No, well not yet anyway.

If I did order one I would spec 17 inch wheels and the front opening bellows.

But it will be at least a year before I can scratch that itch again.

We have a manual one.
The first time it's always a bit difficult, after that it goes by itself.
Matter of experience...
Until the gas struts start failing. Has been mentioned on the Forum.

We had a manual Reimo roof on our Jerba conversion. It was fine but you couldn't retract it on your own without a major risk of cutting the bellows unless it was a completely windless day. I do worry a little about the complexity of the Ocean roof but it's very easy and quick to operate and works with just one person.
If a Coast had been available when we got ours it would've been considered but then we got a good deal on ours as an 8 month old ex-management vehicle.

and be off.

Ha ha! I’m still here, I certainly started something didn’t I?!! Gone full circle but that’s what we always seem to do.....have a great idea, thinking it’s definitely for us....think about it again, doubt ourselves and almost forget it altogether.....then go back to the original plan plus some!!!

Phil,

She’s back onboard!!! Phew!

Back