Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just ordered a 4motion but would like to hear some opinions...

Mooreml1

Mooreml1

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi everyone.
I’m really pleased to have just ordered an ocean biturbo 4 motion. I was going to go for the 2wd as it seemed more of a sensible cash option but we hired one back in august from Leighton vans (definitely would recommend) and was quite shocked by how ‘grabby’ the DSG power delivery was and its propensity to spin the wheels at a roundabout...
I currently drive a golf R 7.5 with 4motion and 7speed dsg and understand it’s a completely different beast but surely the dsg haldex unit on the California can’t be that dissimilar? I called the hire guys to see if they had mapped the van as it felt like a bad map, but they confirmed it hadn’t. I was just wondering if it could be a software issue or had anyone else noticed the same thing? It almost like the Biturbo produces too much torque for a 2wd setup..

Hi everyone.
I’m really pleased to have just ordered an ocean biturbo 4 motion. I was going to go for the 2wd as it seemed more of a sensible cash option but we hired one back in august from Leighton vans (definitely would recommend) and was quite shocked by how ‘grabby’ the DSG power delivery was and its propensity to spin the wheels at a roundabout...
I currently drive a golf R 7.5 with 4motion and 7speed dsg and understand it’s a completely different beast but surely the dsg haldex unit on the California can’t be that dissimilar? I called the hire guys to see if they had mapped the van as it felt like a bad map, but they confirmed it hadn’t. I was just wondering if it could be a software issue or had anyone else noticed the same thing? It almost like the Biturbo produces too much torque for a 2wd setup..
It does. 4Motion is totally different experience. I have the 180 4Motion and I found the same when I was buying. Have yet to spin the wheels and I’m afraid I’m a driver that likes to proceed. Tyre wear tends to be more equal front to rear compared with the FWD.

Power distribution is 40:60 Front to Rear initially and variable thereafter depending on circumstances. This explains the difference.

2004 - 2016 I had a pokey FWD Diesel Touran that was great but span up the front wheels. For me it was the biggest reason for going for the 4 Motion once i had opted for the 204. I don’t regret my decision.
Downsides are the fuel economy, lack of 5th seat option and complexity.
If I was being a very sensible person I would opt for the 150 FWD but sometimes the heart rules the head.

Mine has been faultless to date.

Mike

In a similar quandary as will be using the Cali at campsites and probably the non electric hookup fields, and conscious of getting stuck.

Can the GSG box be put into semi manual and 2nd gear selected to minimise spin?

Cheers

In a similar quandary as will be using the Cali at campsites and probably the non electric hookup fields, and conscious of getting stuck.

Can the GSG box be put into semi manual and 2nd gear selected to minimise spin?

Cheers
You should be able to go manual, but I don't know an think you can start in 2nd gear. Correct me if I am wrong, as I have the full manual gearbox, and I can try to start in any gear I want, but won't be going anywhere in 6th gear.

You should be able to go manual, but I don't know an think you can start in 2nd gear. Correct me if I am wrong, as I have the full manual gearbox, and I can try to start in any gear I want, but won't be going anywhere in 6th gear.
That is what im wondering, if the DSG box will allow 2nd gear to be selected while foot is on the break...

And yes trying to see if its possible to do the equivalent of starting in 2nd geat in a car with a manual gearbox, to reduce wheel spin in snowy/icy conditions. I know its tougher on the clutch...

Cheers

4Motion 204 DSG....

Never been stuck in the snow (I do use winter tyres too).
Never been stuck on a muddy field
Never had a wheel spin.
Great acceleration from junctions.
Feels very planted on mountain roads.
Have been skiing in the Alps and summer driving in various mountains during downpours and felt safe.
Does wear brake pads though.
Haven’t had cause to use diff lock (optional extra), but thought wise to get for when I eventually resell

Enjoy the van. You’ll love it.

That is what im wondering, if the DSG box will allow 2nd gear to be selected while foot is on the break...

And yes trying to see if its possible to do the equivalent of starting in 2nd geat in a car with a manual gearbox, to reduce wheel spin in snowy/icy conditions. I know its tougher on the clutch...

Cheers
No it doesn't. But in 1st, foot off brake and wait. Anti-stall function will let you creep forward, even up a slight hill, without touching the accelerator.

140se 2wd

Never had a wheel spin on 18" wheels
Have been skiing in the Alps and summer driving in various mountains during downpours and felt safe.
Don't have diff lock.

140se 2wd

Don't have diff lock.

One mans planted is another's all over the place floaty, totally subjective of course, now with super lowered coilovers, HD ARB's, 20" + wheels and of course 4WD "safe" overtaking on roundabouts becomes a cinch, you know it makes sense.

This is a good game....:)

204 DSG 4Mo

Never been stuck in the snow (I DON'T use winter tyres).
Feels very planted on hilly roads in the Lake District.
Have been skiing in the Alps, I loved it
No idea how it wears brake pads, haven't done enough miles yet
Have diff lock, never had need to use it.

When I used to have a 140SE 2WD manual

Never been stuck in the snow (I didn't use winter tyres then either).
Never been stuck on a muddy field, but came close a few times
Would wheel spin if you weren't gentle in 1st, especially if the roads were damp / facing uphill
Had to work the engine to get decent acceleration from junctions.
No real complaints on hilly roads
Never went skiing with it
No idea how it wears brake pads, didn't need to change them
Didn't have diff lock

I enjoy(ed) both vans immensely. One cost about 60% the price of the other due to age of vehicle and the spec, so I'd hope I could tell the difference.

Assuming I could afford the extra next time, I wouldn't hesitate to get 4Mo again.

140 hp manual
Never been stuck in snow.
Once stuck on a very wet pitch on a campsite.
Can do wheelspin, but the van doesn't like it.
I am among the fastest at green lights.
Has taken me up all the hills I wanted to go up.
I have never skied in my life.
Still the factory set of break pads at the front at 150000km. Rear pads changed at 90000 km. Then only the inner pads were worn. The outer pads were still over half good.
2wd doesn't have diff lock.

Just do as @WelshGas says and let the DSG do the gear selection. Most important is not to rev the engine and let the DSG engage and then very, very, gently use the accelerator and it'll move with no spinning or drama.

Many drivers make the mistake of thinking that revving up will get them unstuck.

All season tyres are also beneficial to exit from wet grass or mud.

Just do as @WelshGas says and let the DSG do the gear selection. Most important is not to rev the engine and let the DSG engage and then very, very, gently use the accelerator and it'll move with no spinning or drama.

Many drivers make the mistake of thinking that revving up will get them unstuck.

All season tyres are also beneficial to exit from wet grass or mud.
I thought I read that manual gear selection (and Sports Mode) on the DSG has been removed for MY21. Perhaps someone can confirm

I thought I read that manual gear selection (and Sports Mode) on the DSG has been removed for MY21. Perhaps someone can confirm
I think I was incorrect - I believe the MY21 change to DSG is that Sports Mode removed, but manual gear selection remains. Again, hopefully someone can confirm.

Hi everyone.

Yep the 2wd has poor traction possibly the lowest I have experienced. I noticed it in a new ocean 150DSG on the test drive. I went AWD for this reason. I have seen 2wd ocean stuck in the mud so it happens for sure, not seen and AWD ocean stuck yet. The initial takeoff in the 199 at least is very abrupt ( nothing then all )which exacerbates the problem Im sure.

No it doesn't. But in 1st, foot off brake and wait. Anti-stall function will let you creep forward, even up a slight hill, without touching the accelerator.
Great advice, diolch WelshGas.

Not used to driving autos and forgot about just releasing the break and off they go..!

Do I place my order before the 5PM deadline and £1k increase... decisions decisions...

4motion DSG 199 on a 19 plate Ocean. Don't try and reverse up anything other than a shallow grade. I am told by VW they all struggle in reverse and find this very annoying even when manoeuvring.

Would it be fair to compare 4motion to abs?
Because up to around 1998 I had 3 cars, all without ABS.
And it was fine , i went everywhere, often also to the mountains (alps), roads covered with snow etc. Always managed to stop.
But now, who would consider a car without abs, even assuming it wasn't mandatory?
With fwd I am confident you can go also anywhere. But isn't better or an advantage to have awd?
If it was mandatory, i think nobody would wish they didn't have it...

Cheers
I do know that this is impossible with the dsg box as it will auto select, you cannot select any gear other than 1st in drive,manual is never truly manual. For example, if you are in manual and fail to change up/down at the right time, the box will do it for you.

4Motion 204 DSG....

Never had a wheel spin.
Haven’t had cause to use diff lock (optional extra), but thought wise to get for when I eventually resell

Thanks for the reply! Sounds awesome

I do know that this is impossible with the dsg box as it will auto select, you cannot select any gear other than 1st in drive,manual is never truly manual. For example, if you are in manual and fail to change up/down at the right time, the box will do it for you.
Only down. It will not shift up when in manual.

Back