Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6.1 2 day hire - initially disappointed, but now ordered!

Ha ha! I’m still here, I certainly started something didn’t I?!! Gone full circle but that’s what we always seem to do.....have a great idea, thinking it’s definitely for us....think about it again, doubt ourselves and almost forget it altogether.....then go back to the original plan plus some!!!
Don't tell anyone on here that you were thinking of buying Buck House but now you've changed your mind. That could be costly ;)

...There are several good/excellent converters, also a lot of poor ones - choose carefully! We went to a converter in Minehead. Three trips to discuss what we wanted, they paid for our first trip including hotel. Then purchased a new T6 Highline 150 DSG but with the bench front seat - this was going to be changed. The converter stripped the van. ......

Hi Wildcamper,

Did you go for an Autohaus Ashton?

I ask as that’s one of the 5 I’m considering, along with CMC Reimo Trio High Style/Camper King Monte Carlo/Danbury Surf Special Edition/Vanworx Slipper.

How are you enjoying it?

Thanks!

Hi Wildcamper,

I ask as that’s one of the 5 I’m considering, along with CMC Reimo Trio High Style/Camper King Monte Carlo/Danbury Surf Special Edition/Vanworx Slipper.

How are you enjoying it?

Thanks!
Ours is a Camelot Highlife. We absolutely love it especially the hot water and the built in toilet - makes such a difference. It was great that Tony and Chris were happy to adjust the standard Camelot design to accommodate what we wanted. They have also been very helpful in dealing with problems as they have cropped up, quick phone call, talk to the fitter, problem solved.

Ours is a Camelot Highlife. We absolutely love it especially the hot water and the built in toilet - makes such a difference. It was great that Tony and Chris were happy to adjust the standard Camelot design to accommodate what we wanted. They have also been very helpful in dealing with problems as they have cropped up, quick phone call, talk to the fitter, problem solved.
If you are within reach of Gloucestershire and would like a look let me know.

Hi Wildcamper,

How are you enjoying it?

Thanks!
Hi @camperhov, I replied to your introduction thread. This is a good place to start your research, so good to see you here and asking questions!

Maybe look at a nearly new T6. mine has three glove boxes which is too many. Seats are excellent so don't know how your posture is? its not a reclining chair. Theres enough room in the passenger seat for average size people don't understand that? Tailgate is heavy but rather that then flimsy. Mines lowered on 30mm springs so drives like a car all my previous Vw vans (and ive had a T2, T25 high top, T4 and T5 ) haven't been as luxurious as the Cali I have now. Its a camper van so seats will get marked, buy covers if that bothers you. mines full of sand from a trip to Cornwall still :) As others have said its a lifestyle choice as well. buy a big box of a camper if you wish but don't expect to park it on streets get into Tesco , under height restrictions or stealth camp anywhere :) I use mine for allotment trips daily driver and tip runs... you don't get that with an A class. good luck in your search and hope you get to take out a T6 that hasn't been abused Happy travels :)

So....went to Liverpool yesterday, a 2 hour drive, only to find out that they couldn’t quote us for a PCP as they’re not on VW’s system at the moment. Heard similar stories on the Facebook group. I was going to phone around some other dealers today but I may be wasting my time. This was never going to be easy was it :headbang

they couldn’t quote us for a PCP as they’re not on VW’s system at the moment.

Surely that doesn’t dictate the ordering decision? They can quote you a capital cost and provide finance options when available. Don’t let the tail wag the dog!

Surely that doesn’t dictate the ordering decision? They can quote you a capital cost and provide finance options when available. Don’t let the tail wag the dog!
We’re not going to order without any financial information, as keen as we are! We have been looking at PCP & HP options so are quite flexible, but it depends on the APR and total cost. Need that information from VW.

So....went to Liverpool yesterday, a 2 hour drive, only to find out that they couldn’t quote us for a PCP as they’re not on VW’s system at the moment. Heard similar stories on the Facebook group. I was going to phone around some other dealers today but I may be wasting my time. This was never going to be easy was it :headbang
That’s atypical behaviour of VW and if you think this parts hard you might not be ready for the real issues of roof corrosion, Airbag Light, Control Panel, Condensation on Windscreen, EGR Valves, Electric Sliding Door, oil cooler leaking, leaking windows, steering knock etc....
Not my list....but the list reported on here with only 15% of people saying they hadnt had a fault.
How much did they say it was again?

We’re not going to order without any financial information, as keen as we are! We have been looking at PCP & HP options so are quite flexible, but it depends on the APR and total cost. Need that information from VW.
Why not get the finance from elsewhere? This is not how I buy vehicles, but I bet VW are not the cheapest but they are convenient.

That’s atypical behaviour of VW and if you think this parts hard you might not be ready for the real issues of roof corrosion, Airbag Light, Control Panel, Condensation on Windscreen, EGR Valves, Electric Sliding Door, oil cooler leaking, leaking windows, steering knock etc....
Not my list....but the list reported on here with only 15% of people saying they hadnt had a fault.
Why would those who have No Problems bother to post. The Forum has in excess of 15,000 members. Those who have problems are most likely to post and they account for a very, very small percentage of members.

Didn't we have a happy thread on here started a few years back for those of us that didn't have any faults to post on just to try & redress the balance.

I saw the lack of PCP, either it is an attempt to slow orders until something is sorted re the B word or VWUK’s credit is maxed out, seems very anti customer As I should imagine most orders are PCP. For your info Phil I got 4.9%apr over 4 years with VW, in fact the 4.9 didn’t change regardless of duration.
Hopefully it is resurrected shortl.

Why not get the finance from elsewhere? This is not how I buy vehicles, but I bet VW are not the cheapest but they are convenient.

i got quoted at 2.8% by VW where would you go to beat that as Id be very interested thank you

Why would those who have No Problems bother to post. The Forum has in excess of 15,000 members. Those who have problems are most likely to post and they account for a very, very small percentage of members.
Thought it was a survey.....not people just posting. Might be wrong?

15 months in, no faults, hope we aren’t tempting fate.

So we’ve finally ordered our very first Cali today!!! If you’ve read most of the posts on this thread, you’ll understand why we’ve done that, despite the thread title.
So, being disappointed to start with hasn’t stopped us from our dream of buying a campervan. We had an unlucky first experience together with (too?) high expectations, but thanks to the fantastic people on here we gave it plenty of thought and now we are delighted to have put an order in for a well specced 199 4MO Ocean. We had considered all options, from forgetting it altogether, to keeping costs down and getting a Coast, to going for a top spec 4MO!! We went for that in the end as we got a very good deal and PCP that worked for us.
So once again, a massive thanks to everyone that has helped on here, we are definitely here to stay now!
Oh and a big shout out to Guy Vincent at Preston - did us the deal we wanted and was excellent to deal with. Our local dealers couldn’t help regarding any discount. Birmingham and Leicester, whilst helpful, we’re offering just 2% off. Coventry promised to get back to me by the end of the day 3 days ago but never did. We went to Liverpool on Monday after making an appointment. They didn’t seem particularly bothered and have not got back to us at all since then, 5 days ago. We were really surprised by this as we’d seen the California Chris videos and read good things about them. We were prepared to put an order in whilst there, but the PCP’s weren’t available on the systems until late the next day, so they said they’d email some details through to us - nothing has been received yet. Maybe I’m just old fashioned, but I thought I would have been treated differently, walking into a showroom ready to order a £70k vehicle.
But Guy at Preston was totally different and so got our order. :thumb

No doubt about it, this has been a really interesting thread and well done OP for really laying it out there. Any newcomers would do well to start at the beginning of your post (as i did).

The decision making process we are in is almost identical to everything you have been evaluating and challenging yourselves with... for us - our process has been almost comical - if I said the final straw - was resort to drawing straws to decide the colour of a leisure vehicle retailing at £75k - you might recognize the pain (I lost)!

Have to say tho, I'm a little surprised that with all the advice and research available here in terms of specification, purpose and support - that you didn't just use Drive The Deal or Autoebid to take the first 8-9-10% out of the asking price? Collections, servicing and warranty issues are just transactions - you aren't marrying the dealers.

Anyway, I hope you get/got want you want and really enjoy the vehicle you have ordered.

Bon chance!

No doubt about it, this has been a really interesting thread and well done OP for really laying it out there. Any newcomers would do well to start at the beginning of your post (as i did).

The decision making process we are in is almost identical to everything you have been evaluating and challenging yourselves with... for us - our process has been almost comical - if I said the final straw - was resort to drawing straws to decide the colour of a leisure vehicle retailing at £75k - you might recognize the pain (I lost)!

Have to say tho, I'm a little surprised that with all the advice and research available here in terms of specification, purpose and support - that you didn't just use Drive The Deal or Autoebid to take the first 8-9-10% out of the asking price? Collections, servicing and warranty issues are just transactions - you aren't marrying the dealers.

Anyway, I hope you get/got want you want and really enjoy the vehicle you have ordered.

Bon chance!
Thanks! And don’t worry, we certainly did get a great deal ;)
Have you ordered yet then?

Back