Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6.1 2 day hire - initially disappointed, but now ordered!

PhilR

PhilR

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hopefully I won't upset too many people on here, but I'm going to share my honest review.....

So, we just spent £270 on hiring a 6.1 Ocean and it has turned out to be money well spent, as we are now not going to have to spend almost £70k on a new one. Why?....

Well, as fantastic as these vehicles are, we weren't overly impressed. Whilst it is great at what it does, as in enabling camping, cooking etc, as a daily driver it didn't do it for us. For a start I just could not get on with the driving position - the seat felt like it was tipping/tilting me forwards ever so slightly and there's no adjustment for the seat base angle. In fact, the only adjustment on the seat is a basic winding handle for the backrest and a fore/aft adjustment. A lumbar adjuster is also there, at least that's what I think it was but you could hardly tell. I think this is really poor on such an expensive vehicle. I would gladly pay extra for additional/electric seat adjustments, but they aren't available as far as I'm aware.
The build quality is questionable too - the side of the drivers seat had a plastic cover which fell off (I used a Torx driver to fix it back on myself), there is a trim piece above the sliding door and this was coming loose, preventing the door window blind fully closing, the AC controls were falling into the dash when pressed, and the rear luggage area cover kept coming off the side locator "pins" - all this on a July 2020 van with just 3000 miles!

Other things putting us off the 6.1 were - seat upholstery marks far too easily, the window blinds felt very cheap and flimsy, the ride was very harsh over poor surfaces which I found surprising as it was only on 17" wheels, the tailgate is awkward to close, the pop-up roof is a bit of a pain to get the canvas to stay out of the way of the sliding roof cover (probably user error though), the passenger seat, as well as the very limited adjustments, does not have a great deal of legroom and the glovebox in front is tiny (probably not just a 6.1 issue), the lag pulling away is not too bad but the "S" mode isn't an option any more sadly, the Discover Pro is a fingerprint magnet, also it is difficult to see/operate from the passenger seat.

I really don't want this post to be all negative, there are loads of things about it that are brilliant, but if we were going to spend this much money it needs to be better. Now I can understand some of the negative comments I've seen on YouTube videos, saying that they are overpriced. I wanted to not believe that, but after I posted on a Facebook group about the rough ride, a few people said to me "what do you expect, it's a van" - yes it is, but a blooming' expensive one! Too expensive for what it is in our opinion.

So, after thinking about this for weeks, reading all the reviews and posts on here, watching all the (positive) YouTube videos, we are now weighing up our options. We're guilty of getting sucked into the exciting world of van life - I guess the YouTube videos are always going to be positive when they are from actual owners. The only negative one I saw was from Matt Watson on one of those car review channels and he wasn't impressed, but we just thought he didn't get the whole point....maybe he didn't, but we wanted to find out for ourselves.

So, we could get an older one or a conversion, but we're also thinking of not bothering at all and hiring one when we want to do a trip. The main use of the vehicle would be going back and forth to Wales from the Midlands, as we have a place there. So 90% of the usage would be doing that. Yes it would be fabulous for days out and the odd overnight stay, but that's not going to be a common thing. We also fancy touring Europe for a couple of weeks each year, but for that I'd be tempted to hire a full size motorhome maybe.

Apologies once again for being rather negative, I know you are all Cali fans (obviously). Maybe it's just the 6.1 that's the issue, what with it's price, long lead times, possible 10% tax issue.......

Thanks for all the information and replies to my previous questions on here, you have all been a great help, especially those that told me to hire before I buy - excellent advice!!

Damn - clicked "return" too early - how do I edit my title???

Damn - clicked "return" too early - how do I edit my title???

What would you like it edited to? Presumably replacing the "F" with "D" would be a start!

Thank you for taking the time to write up a review of your experience. As you say, not everyone will agree, but it is always valuable to read others experiences, especially when making such a huge investment.
Looking forward to hearing what you eventually decide to purchase (or not at all).

you've probably got an abused van, on my T6 i don't have the issues you describe. The only van that drives better is the MarcoPolo from Mercedes, but that's the only advantage it has over a California. Good luck finding a better driving Van among the Ducato, Sprinter, Citroen Jumper, Renault and Ford.
The California isn't for everybody, i wish you nevertheless good luck finding your ideal motorhome.

Thank you for taking the time to write up a review of your experience. As you say, not everyone will agree, but it is always valuable to read others experiences, especially when making such a huge investment.
Looking forward to hearing what you eventually decide to purchase (or not at all).
Thanks Alison. We haven't made a firm decision just yet.....lots to think about.....

you've probably got an abused van, on my T6 i don't have the issues you describe. The only van that drives better is the MarcoPolo from Mercedes, but that's the only advantage it has over a California. Good luck finding a better driving Van among the Ducato, Sprinter, Citroen Jumper, Renault and Ford.
The California isn't for everybody, i wish you nevertheless good luck finding your ideal motorhome.
Thanks. I don't think there's a better Campervan option though to be fair. It's just that the 6.1 isn't for us right now.

Some good points there. Whatever you get (tent, caravan, camper,motorhome) it will be a compromise. There is no right answer and what you can compromise on is different to someone else.

Good to read your opinions,
I must agree whole heartedly regards the poor seats.
I too cannot believe how we put up with a bolt upright hard slab of easily marked rubbish....
I have resorted to using a cushion and fitting washers beneath the runners, also between the front of the seat base and floor to get a better seat angle but it is difficult to understand why it’s not an upgraded leather clad supportive seat and not a builders van bench fitted as standard.
I won’t mention the handbrake re. turning the seats , leaking side windows, poor accessibility to gas bottle tap and the requirement to use an elastic band on the roof ......
I had better shut up as I may be censored!

The front seats could certainly be better, I find them uncomfortable on long drives. Mind you they are even worse when fitted to a van with a bulkhead as you can't move as far back or recline properly.

Good point about the handbrake above, I can't believe that is still an issue.

Good to read your opinions,
I must agree whole heartedly regards the poor seats.
I too cannot believe how we put up with a bolt upright hard slab of easily marked rubbish....
I have resorted to using a cushion and fitting washers beneath the runners, also between the front of the seat base and floor to get a better seat angle but it is difficult to understand why it’s not an upgraded leather clad supportive seat and not a builders van bench fitted as standard.
I won’t mention the handbrake re. turning the seats , leaking side windows, poor accessibility to gas bottle tap and the requirement to use an elastic band on the roof ......
I had better shut up as I may be censored!
Am I the only one that thinks the seats are brilliant? Did 14 hours in the drivers seat two weeks ago & could easily have sat there for another couple. In contrast I could never get fully comfortable in my Discoveries with however many way electric adjustments & ditto the last 911 I had, also with multiple buttons & features both had me aching after a couple of hours.

If you think the drive of a California is bad, I hope you are not expecting much when you try a full size motorhome.

A California is indeed, overpriced, poorly built and lacking in refinement. £70k is a lifetime of B&Bs and premier inns and you can get a car that drives better, will need less return trips to the dealer for “niggles” and will be more economical to run (whatever people say about residuals)
I absolutely wouldn’t swap mine for any other vehicle on the planet.
A Cali is bought with the heart not the head.
If you don’t get it you don’t get it. Hopefully your place on the waiting list will be taken by someone who does. You can buy a Nissan quashy or whatever and stay in a premier inn. Much more sensible.

Hopefully I won't upset too many people on here, but I'm going to share my honest review.....

So, we just spent £270 on hiring a 6.1 Ocean and it has turned out to be money well spent, as we are now not going to have to spend almost £70k on a new one. Why?....

Well, as fantastic as these vehicles are, we weren't overly impressed. Whilst it is great at what it does, as in enabling camping, cooking etc, as a daily driver it didn't do it for us. For a start I just could not get on with the driving position - the seat felt like it was tipping/tilting me forwards ever so slightly and there's no adjustment for the seat base angle. In fact, the only adjustment on the seat is a basic winding handle for the backrest and a fore/aft adjustment. A lumbar adjuster is also there, at least that's what I think it was but you could hardly tell. I think this is really poor on such an expensive vehicle. I would gladly pay extra for additional/electric seat adjustments, but they aren't available as far as I'm aware.
The build quality is questionable too - the side of the drivers seat had a plastic cover which fell off (I used a Torx driver to fix it back on myself), there is a trim piece above the sliding door and this was coming loose, preventing the door window blind fully closing, the AC controls were falling into the dash when pressed, and the rear luggage area cover kept coming off the side locator "pins" - all this on a July 2020 van with just 3000 miles!

Other things putting us off the 6.1 were - seat upholstery marks far too easily, the window blinds felt very cheap and flimsy, the ride was very harsh over poor surfaces which I found surprising as it was only on 17" wheels, the tailgate is awkward to close, the pop-up roof is a bit of a pain to get the canvas to stay out of the way of the sliding roof cover (probably user error though), the passenger seat, as well as the very limited adjustments, does not have a great deal of legroom and the glovebox in front is tiny (probably not just a 6.1 issue), the lag pulling away is not too bad but the "S" mode isn't an option any more sadly, the Discover Pro is a fingerprint magnet, also it is difficult to see/operate from the passenger seat.

I really don't want this post to be all negative, there are loads of things about it that are brilliant, but if we were going to spend this much money it needs to be better. Now I can understand some of the negative comments I've seen on YouTube videos, saying that they are overpriced. I wanted to not believe that, but after I posted on a Facebook group about the rough ride, a few people said to me "what do you expect, it's a van" - yes it is, but a blooming' expensive one! Too expensive for what it is in our opinion.

So, after thinking about this for weeks, reading all the reviews and posts on here, watching all the (positive) YouTube videos, we are now weighing up our options. We're guilty of getting sucked into the exciting world of van life - I guess the YouTube videos are always going to be positive when they are from actual owners. The only negative one I saw was from Matt Watson on one of those car review channels and he wasn't impressed, but we just thought he didn't get the whole point....maybe he didn't, but we wanted to find out for ourselves.

So, we could get an older one or a conversion, but we're also thinking of not bothering at all and hiring one when we want to do a trip. The main use of the vehicle would be going back and forth to Wales from the Midlands, as we have a place there. So 90% of the usage would be doing that. Yes it would be fabulous for days out and the odd overnight stay, but that's not going to be a common thing. We also fancy touring Europe for a couple of weeks each year, but for that I'd be tempted to hire a full size motorhome maybe.

Apologies once again for being rather negative, I know you are all Cali fans (obviously). Maybe it's just the 6.1 that's the issue, what with it's price, long lead times, possible 10% tax issue.......

Thanks for all the information and replies to my previous questions on here, you have all been a great help, especially those that told me to hire before I buy - excellent advice!!
It’s always interesting to listen to the opinions of others, personally we think the seats are really comfortable, and we have driven very long distances in them.

It’s always interesting to listen to the opinions of others, personally we think the seats are really comfortable, and we have driven very long distances in them.

Think the longest trips I have done in the Cali was Istanbul to Athens & Milan to Paris, both effortless & enjoyable.

Using man maths Californias don't actually cost anything.

If I didn't have one I would need a sensible car, say a BMW 3 series, depreciation on the last one of those I had was about £6k a year, depreciation on our cali using the worst trade in offer verses what I paid for it comes in at £1700 a year, the cali therefore has saved me £4,300 a year for the last 6 years on that alone.

If we then factor in 4 of us camping say 20 nights per year at £30 per night V £200 for 2x hotel rooms thats another £3,400 a year saved.

I haven't yet put a price on the fun & enjoyment that it has brought, highlights include getting changed out of a freezing cold wet suit in the beach carpark in a warm van with the kettle on.
Playing a family game of cards waiting for the tide to go out at our favourite Modbury beach, the sheer convenience of having a fridge with cold drinks on a hot day when stuck in a traffic jam, I could go on & on.

Then there is the convenience - used as a van for moving kids to Uni. A mobile office.

A car plus hotels cant replace it, A big white motorhome won't go the same places.

You either get it or you don't.

It is my suggestion then that the £70k is actually irrelevant.

If you think the drive of a California is bad, I hope you are not expecting much when you try a full size motorhome.
I didn’t say it was bad, it was just crashier over rough surfaces. I loved the high up position, that is one of the reasons I wanted one, but the seat has to be comfortable and for me it wasn’t, I can’t get away from that. The overall drive was very good - the size of the van is fantastic - roomy enough inside but easy to manoeuvre outside. Visibility excellent too. I also enjoyed the power of the 199bhp.
Oh and I never intend to buy a motorhome. Too restricting on UK roads. I’d hire one in Europe though.

Thanks for braving the crowd and leaving a review of your experience and opinion of the 6.1. Good luck with your travels however you make them.

If I didn't have one I would need a sensible car, say a BMW 3 series, depreciation on the last one of those I had was about £6k a year, depreciation on our cali using the worst trade in offer verses what I paid for it comes in at £1700 a year, the cali therefore has saved me £4,300 a year for the last 6 years on that alone.

If we then factor in 4 of us camping say 20 nights per year at £30 per night V £200 for 2x hotel rooms thats another £3,400 a year saved.

I haven't yet put a price on the fun & enjoyment that it has brought, highlights include getting changed out of a freezing cold wet suit in the beach carpark in a warm van with the kettle on.
Playing a family game of cards waiting for the tide to go out at our favourite Modbury beach, the sheer convenience of having a fridge with cold drinks on a hot day when stuck in a traffic jam, I could go on & on.

Then there is the convenience - used as a van for moving kids to Uni. A mobile office.

A car plus hotels cant replace it, A big white motorhome won't go the same places.

Exactly.

Mine is a 2010 vintage, like old wine bought, but consumed now, it’s kind of free.

I regularly have trips Switzerland to UK pretty much non stop - 11 hours or so and find the seats super comfortable for my outsize frame (6’7”)

I do get it! I’ve been pestering my wife about it for ages so was really excited about hiring one. I wish I wasn’t disappointed, I really do. I wanted to love it so badly. I’m gutted I didn’t fall in love with it. I get all those points you’ve just made and I’m sad thinking they may not happen for us. Maybe I need to look at an older conversion....I just don’t know. I’m confused. Ps. Your calculations make quite a lot of sense to be fair.

I do get it! I’ve been pestering my wife about it for ages so was really excited about hiring one. I wish I wasn’t disappointed, I really do. I wanted to love it so badly. I’m gutted I didn’t fall in love with it. I get all those points you’ve just made and I’m sad thinking they may not happen for us. Maybe I need to look at an older conversion....I just don’t know. I’m confused. Ps. Your calculations make quite a lot of sense to be fair.

You either see it or you don’t,

Personal choice.

As for me, my Strudel Van has served me so well over the past decade, I could never part with my ‘mate’

Back