Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6.1 2 day hire - initially disappointed, but now ordered!

Yes thats one of my must haves - priced at £225.00 with dealer discount - expensive but essential to enjoy those views up top!
Also great on a sunny day with the amount of light it lets in when open.

Yes thats one of my must haves - priced at £225.00 with dealer discount - expensive but essential to enjoy those views up top!
We have the fully opening bellows on our 6.1 - superb, when the weather is good! For £200 it is a must have. To replace the bellows is about £800-1,000 so do not scrimp for such a small sum of money on £50k+. As always it is cheaper to spec items from the factory, retro fits always cost a ridiculous amount. :thumb

I find it quit funny all these comments about the Hydraulic Roof. By its very nature the Forum attracts posts about problems and compared with the number of Californias with such a roof the number of posts are definitely in the minority.
Maybe we should have a thread devoted to Hydraulic Roofs that function normally? I know which thread would be bigger. :thumb

True we have no actual stats (and as a sample of one, my roof has worked fine for 4+ years). But I just know that the day the mechanism goes bush will be the day we're heading out on a long trip somewhere, and we actively dislike sleeping 'downstairs' so I would be gnashing my teeth.

I assume the reason VW include emergency roof tie-down straps with every new Cali isn't some Teutonic indulgence? ;)

Out of interest, people with (manual roof) Beaches or Coasts, how hard is it to be without the electro-hydraulic roof? Would you have gone for it if it has been an option?

True we have no actual stats (and as a sample of one, my roof has worked fine for 4+ years). But I just know that the day the mechanism goes bush will be the day we're heading out on a long trip somewhere, and we actively dislike sleeping 'downstairs' so I would be gnashing my teeth.

I assume the reason VW include emergency roof tie-down straps with every new Cali isn't some Teutonic indulgence? ;)

Out of interest, people with (manual roof) Beaches or Coasts, how hard is it to be without the electro-hydraulic roof? Would you have gone for it if it has been an option?
Or did you choose a Coast or Beach because of the manual roof?

Just out of interest as Im in the same boat as you - a serial looker! - have you test driven both the Ocean & the Coast? I havent either but am leaning towards the Coast as not being a big gadget person dont think I can justify the difference in price. We are hiring our VW this weekend but its a conversion & really hoping I dont feel disappointed like you did!!
Hi Jenny,
No we haven't tested, or even seen a Coast yet. Going to have a look at one on Monday though, but just a look as it's a customers order. Just want to see the internal seat colour in the flesh. To be honest though, after MUCH playing around with the options and discussions with my wife, we are now favouring the Ocean again, especially if the deal is right. I was originally put off (and it made the Coast a good option) by the power roof, but to be honest I would really prefer that. As Welsh Gas has said, the issues with it are only shouted about by those with the issues. There must be thousands that have no problems. Also, looking at it from Joe Bloggs' point of view - 90% of the time in the used car world, I would have thought that an electrical or motorised operation of something is far more desirable than a manual version? Also, when I spec a Coast with what (for me) are quite essential options, it gets very close to the Ocean price anyway.If we do also decide to go 4WD then that ends that anyway!

Let us know how you get on with your hire. I'm sure you won't be disappointed at all - you are armed with far more information than I had, including my moans!!! To be honest, I think we were just dead unlucky with the issues that we had with the brand new Cali we hired, plus the dodgy weather. Plus our expectations were definitely set too high going into it. Really glad we've slept on it for a few days now though as we're both really keen to get one again now :)

Don't say we did not warn you that you've joined a bunch of people who can get you to spend a lot of money - first it was 4MO ... and now it is a full fat Cali itself :D

Good choice and very logical decisions. As they say - a Cali is not just for summer. Enjoy :thumb
Yes! It's a great forum but a bloody expensive one :D

......No doubt if we crashed out with WTO 10% tariffs there could well be a glut of cancellations but from the dealers I have spoken to a lot of people are prepared for that hit to happen.
When you say "people" do you mean customers or dealers? I presume it's the latter as I can't see many customers being happy with it!

Hi Jenny,
No we haven't tested, or even seen a Coast yet. Going to have a look at one on Monday though, but just a look as it's a customers order. Just want to see the internal seat colour in the flesh. To be honest though, after MUCH playing around with the options and discussions with my wife, we are now favouring the Ocean again, especially if the deal is right. I was originally put off (and it made the Coast a good option) by the power roof, but to be honest I would really prefer that. As Welsh Gas has said, the issues with it are only shouted about by those with the issues. There must be thousands that have no problems. Also, looking at it from Joe Bloggs' point of view - 90% of the time in the used car world, I would have thought that an electrical or motorised operation of something is far more desirable than a manual version? Also, when I spec a Coast with what (for me) are quite essential options, it gets very close to the Ocean price anyway.If we do also decide to go 4WD then that ends that anyway!

Let us know how you get on with your hire. I'm sure you won't be disappointed at all - you are armed with far more information than I had, including my moans!!! To be honest, I think we were just dead unlucky with the issues that we had with the brand new Cali we hired, plus the dodgy weather. Plus our expectations were definitely set too high going into it. Really glad we've slept on it for a few days now though as we're both really keen to get one again now :)
Hi Phil, a Cali is a far nicer place to be in bad weather than say a tent. Are you going to hire another before taking the plunge? There are companies out there now with Coasts for hire so that may be worth exploring just to see what you thought.

I find it quit funny all these comments about the Hydraulic Roof. By its very nature the Forum attracts posts about problems and compared with the number of Californias with such a roof the number of posts are definitely in the minority.
Maybe we should have a thread devoted to Hydraulic Roofs that function normally? I know which thread would be bigger. :thumb
Great point. I've been trying to explain to my wife why it's an advantage to get the Coast without the electric roof. I feel a bit daft to be honest. She certainly thinks I am and she has a point. Why am I trying to justify something being rubbish/problematic just by going on the few comments about it being problematic!?? This is the issue with t'internet/google/forums!! So stuff it, we are going to get what we want, or can afford!

When you say "people" do you mean customers or dealers? I presume it's the latter as I can't see many customers being happy with it!

I agree. I would have to think hard before I stumped up another £6k on top. A real shame after the waiting but I'd probably walk away.
That said there was no mention of a brexit clause when I ordered.

Also, looking at it from Joe Bloggs' point of view - 90% of the time in the used car world, I would have thought that an electrical or motorised operation of something is far more desirable than a manual version?

Debatable. Why is powered 'better' than something that works fine manually? (The electric sliding side door option on the Cali is one example). The manual roof on the Beach/Coast appears to be extremely easy to use, with actually fewer steps than the electric one or at least no faffing around with ignition on/off etc.

A couple of cars ago we had a Volvo with a powered tailgate. Quite nice in its way, until it broke and then the tail lift was a pig to lift against the hydraulics until we managed to get it into the workshop. I got them to put in an old fashioned (manual) gas strut, happy days after that. I'll do the same on our current car when the electric tail gate packs up.

Just my point of view, I don't take it to extremes and I could for example see the point of a powered soft top on an expensive open-top car, so you don't have to get out and faff about at side of road when it starts to rain.

Debatable. Why is powered 'better' than something that works fine manually? (The electric sliding side door option on the Cali is one example). The manual roof on the Beach/Coast appears to be extremely easy to use, with actually fewer steps than the electric one or at least no faffing around with ignition on/off etc.

A couple of cars ago we had a Volvo with a powered tailgate. Quite nice in its way, until it broke and then the tail lift was a pig to lift against the hydraulics until we managed to get it into the workshop. I got them to put in an old fashioned (manual) gas strut, happy days after that. I'll do the same on our current car when the electric tail gate packs up.

Just my point of view, I don't take it to extremes and I could for example see the point of a powered soft top on an expensive open-top car, so you don't have to get out and faff about at side of road when it starts to rain.
Until the day you press the button and it doesn't work which we had on a 306 cc which had burst a hydraulic pipe, back then Peugeot wanted £900 for the pipe kit and about £80 per half ltr of oil. Managed to find someone who could make me an upgraded hose but I did think at the time how much simpler my Herald roof was.

As Welshgas said most people don't go on the forums to praise how well something works. Usually the opposite.

I know when I demo'd an Ocean the first thing he showed us was the power door and roof so to newbies its obviously considered the major selling point. Worked on us!

On another point do you only get the emergency tie down staps with the electric roof then?

... To be honest though, after MUCH playing around with the options and discussions with my wife, we are now favouring the Ocean again, especially if the deal is right. I was originally put off (and it made the Coast a good option) by the power roof, but to be honest I would really prefer that. As Welsh Gas has said, the issues with it are only shouted about by those with the issues. There must be thousands that have no problems. Also, looking at it from Joe Bloggs' point of view - 90% of the time in the used car world, I would have thought that an electrical or motorised operation of something is far more desirable than a manual version? Also, when I spec a Coast with what (for me) are quite essential options, it gets very close to the Ocean price anyway.If we do also decide to go 4WD then that ends that anyway!
That is what i was trying to convey a few posts ago. In the end the Ocean makes more sense. And i wouldn't bother with Diff Lock or Hill Des. unless you really plan serious offroad. If you think about resale, and actual possible use, consider a trailer hitch , way more desirable than a diff lock.

Great point. I've been trying to explain to my wife why it's an advantage to get the Coast without the electric roof. I feel a bit daft to be honest. She certainly thinks I am and she has a point. Why am I trying to justify something being rubbish/problematic just by going on the few comments about it being problematic!?? This is the issue with t'internet/google/forums!! So stuff it, we are going to get what we want, or can afford!

Go on Phil squeeze the trigger:D

Definitely not. Having had both versions I would go for the manual version every time. It's simple, effective and quiet.

That's not to say that the electro/hydraulic roof is a bad solution. It isn't. If you have difficulty in standing up or suffer from arthritis in the hands or fingers then it's probably the better one to go for. However I would suggest that for every one else it's just another unessesarily complicated gadget.

It's almost certainly true what @WelshGas has said, in that the vast majority of these EH roofs never give any problems but you only have to read this forum to realise that problems do occur. There are many posts about the roof sagging on one side, roofs getting stuck in the up position and various control panel issues. Less frequent issues such as leaking pipework and faulty hydraulic pumps get a mention from time to time along with exploding hydraulic rams. So problems aren't unheard of.

The manual version is a different matter though. It performs exactly the same function in a quicker and quieter manner without any of the drama. There is no hydraulic pump or fluid to leak, no wiring or electronic control panels to go wrong and never presents any issues with it getting stuck in the up position or sagging on one side. The manual roof is either up or down and that's it. I would even say that it's easier to monitor when bringing it down since the best way to do this is by standing between the front seats facing rearwards whilst pulling down on the transversal bar. During this process you can help the canvas to fold in correctly thus avoiding any trapped canvas damage. By contrast how many owners with EH roofs just sit and press the button? I'm sure that they can't all be aware of what their canvas is doing, possibly until it's too late!

I don't know the figures relating to number of faults for each version but what I do know is that whilst there are very many posts on this forum about issues with the EH version, any relating to the manual roof are very difficult to find indeed.

Further more it appears that the T6-1 EH roof appears to be presenting a whole lot of issues of its own which isn't a good start.

I must just say that the only two potential issues with the manual version are:

1. The over lock securing catches can be rather stiff to operate at first and can need a fair amount of force to snap them shut. However, they can be adjusted to suit.

2. If you are not careful, it is possible to trap the roof canvas between the over lock catches and their corresponding hook when securing the roof. This will result in the catch assembly punching two small holes in the roof canvas. It is easily avoided by: a. ensuring that the canvas is pushed back behind the stubby seat belt webbing tab located behind the over lock catch, and: b. Doing a visual check before snapping the catch shut. You can easily see if both halves of the catch are clear of canvas.

Last edited:

Punters prepared to cough up the dosh ... like the one I'm helping buy for.

Phil, we have a 6.1 Ocean. No issues with our roof so far. The canvas now has "bars" which push the canvas inwards - unless it is blowing a gale I think it is going to be very difficult to trap the roof.

We waited 11 months for our van and then 13 days after we collected it it dumped 2 litres of oil because some numpty hadn't done a jubilee clip up properly. We very, very nearly demanded a refund. 2 months later, LOVE IT!!!!

Stop faffing about man, order an Ocean! :thumb

Hi Phil, a Cali is a far nicer place to be in bad weather than say a tent. Are you going to hire another before taking the plunge? There are companies out there now with Coasts for hire so that may be worth exploring just to see what you thought.
Hi Karlos, I don't think so, no. I tried to hire a 150 Ocean from the same place, they had midweek availability but it's a manual and therefore not a 6.1, so not much point. We are going to have a look at the Coast on Monday. That will suffice. It's at Liverpool so will be interesting to see what they can do for us.....

....I know when I demo'd an Ocean the first thing he showed us was the power door and roof so to newbies its obviously considered the major selling point. Worked on us!
That's my point too, "most" people like the powered/electronic/gadgetry stuff. Most, not all, I agree, but it definitely is a selling point and will be in the future, as long as it's still working of course :D
Look at the obsession with Virtual Cockpits nowadays - everyone wants them....

I'm also guilty of not speccing the powered sliding door after reading about it's faults on here :rolleyes:

If the tailgate had an electric option I would DEFINITELY choose that, it's a monster!

Having just spent the last week speccing up all sorts of Cali-sized pop-tops, Ducato 5.4 vans such as Hymer Ayers Rock, Westfalia Amundsen and Columbus, Knaus boxlife and boxcar ..... The Cali by comparison is neither overpriced nor rustic.

It took me no time at all to spec up a fiat based camper to £65k, no pop-top, no 4 mo, no ACC, 15 inch steels and not even front proximity sensors (£400 dealer-fitted extra).

I drove Alfie home from Dorset yesterday almost singing to him to tell him how brilliant he was .....

and ....

Continuing to spec up alternative vans ..... "What about the warranty?"...... Well, "Fix It Again Toni" is 2 years not 3 and Hymer standard warranty for habitation units is 2 years not 3.

At this rate Alfie, with his original spec price of £75k, is looking a "steal" o_O

Last edited:
Back