Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6.1 2 day hire - initially disappointed, but now ordered!

Van is in the Sligachan campsite below the hill which is Sgurr nan Gillian. The Dubh slabs will be fun. A nice way up onto the ridge. Bit off piste for this thread, suffice to say, the van has been a fantastic companion for the Scottish Munro journey. I can't imagine anything that could have worked better for that. Mostly out of campsites.

Hopefully I won't upset too many people on here, but I'm going to share my honest review.....

So, we just spent £270 on hiring a 6.1 Ocean and it has turned out to be money well spent, as we are now not going to have to spend almost £70k on a new one. Why?....

Well, as fantastic as these vehicles are, we weren't overly impressed. Whilst it is great at what it does, as in enabling camping, cooking etc, as a daily driver it didn't do it for us. For a start I just could not get on with the driving position - the seat felt like it was tipping/tilting me forwards ever so slightly and there's no adjustment for the seat base angle. In fact, the only adjustment on the seat is a basic winding handle for the backrest and a fore/aft adjustment. A lumbar adjuster is also there, at least that's what I think it was but you could hardly tell. I think this is really poor on such an expensive vehicle. I would gladly pay extra for additional/electric seat adjustments, but they aren't available as far as I'm aware.
The build quality is questionable too - the side of the drivers seat had a plastic cover which fell off (I used a Torx driver to fix it back on myself), there is a trim piece above the sliding door and this was coming loose, preventing the door window blind fully closing, the AC controls were falling into the dash when pressed, and the rear luggage area cover kept coming off the side locator "pins" - all this on a July 2020 van with just 3000 miles!

Other things putting us off the 6.1 were - seat upholstery marks far too easily, the window blinds felt very cheap and flimsy, the ride was very harsh over poor surfaces which I found surprising as it was only on 17" wheels, the tailgate is awkward to close, the pop-up roof is a bit of a pain to get the canvas to stay out of the way of the sliding roof cover (probably user error though), the passenger seat, as well as the very limited adjustments, does not have a great deal of legroom and the glovebox in front is tiny (probably not just a 6.1 issue), the lag pulling away is not too bad but the "S" mode isn't an option any more sadly, the Discover Pro is a fingerprint magnet, also it is difficult to see/operate from the passenger seat.

I really don't want this post to be all negative, there are loads of things about it that are brilliant, but if we were going to spend this much money it needs to be better. Now I can understand some of the negative comments I've seen on YouTube videos, saying that they are overpriced. I wanted to not believe that, but after I posted on a Facebook group about the rough ride, a few people said to me "what do you expect, it's a van" - yes it is, but a blooming' expensive one! Too expensive for what it is in our opinion.

So, after thinking about this for weeks, reading all the reviews and posts on here, watching all the (positive) YouTube videos, we are now weighing up our options. We're guilty of getting sucked into the exciting world of van life - I guess the YouTube videos are always going to be positive when they are from actual owners. The only negative one I saw was from Matt Watson on one of those car review channels and he wasn't impressed, but we just thought he didn't get the whole point....maybe he didn't, but we wanted to find out for ourselves.

So, we could get an older one or a conversion, but we're also thinking of not bothering at all and hiring one when we want to do a trip. The main use of the vehicle would be going back and forth to Wales from the Midlands, as we have a place there. So 90% of the usage would be doing that. Yes it would be fabulous for days out and the odd overnight stay, but that's not going to be a common thing. We also fancy touring Europe for a couple of weeks each year, but for that I'd be tempted to hire a full size motorhome maybe.

Apologies once again for being rather negative, I know you are all Cali fans (obviously). Maybe it's just the 6.1 that's the issue, what with it's price, long lead times, possible 10% tax issue.......

Thanks for all the information and replies to my previous questions on here, you have all been a great help, especially those that told me to hire before I buy - excellent advice!!

They’re overpriced, they could be built better (like everything in life), the leisure battery should have a dial/interface on my Beach, but by God we love our new Cali. After the T5 panel van, Myfanwy, as brilliant as she was, Rhiannon is a breath of fresh air - a joy to go camping in. Wouldn’t spend over £40k for one though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I the only one that thinks the seats are brilliant? Did 14 hours in the drivers seat two weeks ago & could easily have sat there for another couple. In contrast I could never get fully comfortable in my Discoveries with however many way electric adjustments & ditto the last 911 I had, also with multiple buttons & features both had me aching after a couple of hours.

If you think the drive of a California is bad, I hope you are not expecting much when you try a full size motorhome.

Never thought about whether the seats are good or bad because whenever we’ve done long all-day drives across the continent they’ve never caused any aches or pains in the slightest.

So after MUCH deliberation and the fabulous advice on here (Thank you all), we have pretty much decided that we still want to get a Cali :)
So, we now need to plan which one and what options. If we can get a decent finance deal, we may just go for the 199 4MO after all. Yes it is a lot of money, but having looked at some other options, we prefer the factory Cali for many reasons. If we could buy a decent fairly new Cali we probably would, but the prices are sky high and really don't make them a decent proposition, unless we didn't want to wait 6 months - but that doesn't matter to us as the company car goes back next April.
So lots of playing around with the configurator. After doing that, VW's website gives an example of a 10 year HP plan! 10 years!!? Not sure what VW are trying to do there, seems odd. It's 6.5% APR so on their example of a £55k Coast, you pay £69k in total. Not sure that's a great deal, but maybe there's an option to pay off early?

Anyway, I've put our favoured option (199 4MO + a few options) into Drive The Deal and AutoeBid. I think it may be worth having a word with one of the dealers directly - any recommendations? I don't mind travelling, but happy to send an email or phone any of them to see what they can do. If the figures don't work for us, we'll consider our other option of getting a Coast instead.

Finally, can the dealers fit running boards, lowering springs etc, not saying I'm going to get these, but I do like the look of the running boards.

Thanks again for all of your responses on this thread :thumb

So after MUCH deliberation and the fabulous advice on here (Thank you all), we have pretty much decided that we still want to get a Cali :)
So, we now need to plan which one and what options. If we can get a decent finance deal, we may just go for the 199 4MO after all. Yes it is a lot of money, but having looked at some other options, we prefer the factory Cali for many reasons. If we could buy a decent fairly new Cali we probably would, but the prices are sky high and really don't make them a decent proposition, unless we didn't want to wait 6 months - but that doesn't matter to us as the company car goes back next April.
So lots of playing around with the configurator. After doing that, VW's website gives an example of a 10 year HP plan! 10 years!!? Not sure what VW are trying to do there, seems odd. It's 6.5% APR so on their example of a £55k Coast, you pay £69k in total. Not sure that's a great deal, but maybe there's an option to pay off early?

Anyway, I've put our favoured option (199 4MO + a few options) into Drive The Deal and AutoeBid. I think it may be worth having a word with one of the dealers directly - any recommendations? I don't mind travelling, but happy to send an email or phone any of them to see what they can do. If the figures don't work for us, we'll consider our other option of getting a Coast instead.

Finally, can the dealers fit running boards, lowering springs etc, not saying I'm going to get these, but I do like the look of the running boards.

Just out of interest as Im in the same boat as you - a serial looker! - have you test driven both the Ocean & the Coast? I havent either but am leaning towards the Coast as not being a big gadget person dont think I can justify the difference in price. We are hiring our VW this weekend but its a conversion & really hoping I dont feel disappointed like you did!!

Just out of interest as Im in the same boat as you - a serial looker! - have you test driven both the Ocean & the Coast? I havent either but am leaning towards the Coast as not being a big gadget person dont think I can justify the difference in price. We are hiring our VW this weekend but its a conversion & really hoping I dont feel disappointed like you did!!

I think given the issues some folks have with the electric roof a manual roof like the coast is a bonus! I’d probably go for a coast if I was in the market. It has most of what you need. We also hired a conversion. That’s what made us decide it was a California or nothing (beach in our case). The one we hired was shoddy. I know there’s some good conversations out there but this one was cramped and untidy. No boot at all hardly. Couldn’t believe it when I went to load our kit in the back!

We have a Coast, and I previously rented an Ocean. There is no difference in the conduct. From the point of view of the "rolling part" they are identical. The differences are mainly in aesthetic details, in options included or not, and in this famous motorized roof.

.....No boot at all hardly. Couldn’t believe it when I went to load our kit in the back!

That's the biggest issue we have with conversions - lack of boot space. I want to be able to throw bikes, tools, dogs etc into the back, not the lounge area.

Don't say we did not warn you that you've joined a bunch of people who can get you to spend a lot of money - first it was 4MO ... and now it is a full fat Cali itself :D

Good choice and very logical decisions. As they say - a Cali is not just for summer. Enjoy :thumb

Ive just had an undercut on drive the deal price by Tonbridge VW of a Coast which Im quite surprised at.

And with a 50% deposit the APR is 2.8% - Ive asked if theres a catch!?!

Ive just had an undercut on drive the deal price by Tonbridge VW of a Coast which Im quite surprised at.
Surprised in a good way Jenny, sorry for my ignorance but what is an undercut on drive the deal price?

Surprised in a good way Jenny, sorry for my ignorance but what is an undercut on drive the deal price?

I logged into "drive the deal" website - put in my spec & it gives you a discounted price - then sent that to VW dealer who have knocked a few hundred pounds off that discounted price.

I logged into "drive the deal" website - put in my spec & it gives you a discounted price - then sent that to VW dealer who have knocked a few hundred pounds off that discounted price.
Ok I'll give it a try.

I sold my 11 month old Ocean 5 weeks ago and beginning to regret it already but will probably wait and see what happens to prices when the market calms down and if there is a recession.

Ok I'll give it a try.

I sold my 11 month old Ocean 5 weeks ago and beginning to regret it already but will probably wait and see what happens to prices when the market calms down and if there is a recession.

Oh no what a shame but no doubt you got a good price for its resale.
It is hard to know what to do for the best with regard to prices but Im trying to dodge the 10% import tax duty which is coming our way ! I think I have to pay a £1000.00 deposit to get my build under way which will take 4 months plus - for me as I dont want 4 wheel drive or high spec tech the Coast makes more sense so after this weekend of hiring VW camper Im going to test drive a Coast then go for it - I dont think the finance of 2.8% will be much better tbh & am thinking Im quite lucky VW have introduced the Coast option to the UK.

Ok I'll give it a try.

You'll have to try and get it back!

Report it as stolen :)

Having just spent the last week speccing up all sorts of Cali-sized pop-tops, Ducato 5.4 vans such as Hymer Ayers Rock, Westfalia Amundsen and Columbus, Knaus boxlife and boxcar ..... The Cali by comparison is neither overpriced nor rustic.

It took me no time at all to spec up a fiat based camper to £65k, no pop-top, no 4 mo, no ACC, 15 inch steels and not even front proximity sensors (£400 dealer-fitted extra).

I drove Alfie home from Dorset yesterday almost singing to him to tell him how brilliant he was .....

Last edited:
Oh,

and for anyone expecting a glut of vehicles to hit the market next year .... Knaus are taking orders for delivery in June, I doubt you will get a fiat based Hymer camper van before July 2021 earliest. Even a humble Knaus caravan was being quoted for March/April delivery.

No doubt if we crashed out with WTO 10% tariffs there could well be a glut of cancellations but from the dealers I have spoken to a lot of people are prepared for that hit to happen.

Last edited:
Oh no what a shame but no doubt you got a good price for its resale.
It is hard to know what to do for the best with regard to prices but Im trying to dodge the 10% import tax duty which is coming our way ! I think I have to pay a £1000.00 deposit to get my build under way which will take 4 months plus - for me as I dont want 4 wheel drive or high spec tech the Coast makes more sense so after this weekend of hiring VW camper Im going to test drive a Coast then go for it - I dont think the finance of 2.8% will be much better tbh & am thinking Im quite lucky VW have introduced the Coast option to the UK.
I would consider a coast but on larger wheels, the attraction of the Coast is the manual roof for long term ownership but I loved the front opening bellows on the Ocean.

Oh,

and for anyone expecting a glut of vehicles to hit the market next year .... Knaus are taking orders for delivery in June, I doubt you will get a fiat based Hymer camper van before July 2021 earliest. Even a humble Knaus caravan was being quoted for March/April delivery.

No doubt if we crashed out with WTO 10% tariffs there could well be a glut of cancellations but from the dealers I have spoken to a lot of people are prepared for that hit to happen.
You thinking of changing your van Jen.

I would consider a coast but on larger wheels, the attraction of the Coast is the manual roof for long term ownership but I loved the front opening bellows on the Ocean.

I think you can now spec the front opening bellows on a Coast. 2 hundred and something quid.

I find it quit funny all these comments about the Hydraulic Roof. By its very nature the Forum attracts posts about problems and compared with the number of Californias with such a roof the number of posts are definitely in the minority.
Maybe we should have a thread devoted to Hydraulic Roofs that function normally? I know which thread would be bigger. :thumb

I think you can now spec the front opening bellows on a Coast. 2 hundred and something quid.
That's not a decent price.

I think it will be a couple of years before Mrs k will allow me near a VW dealership unless we see any bargains which i doubt.

Cheers.

I find it quit funny all these comments about the Hydraulic Roof. By its very nature the Forum attracts posts about problems and compared with the number of Californias with such a roof the number of posts are definitely in the minority.
Maybe we should have a thread devoted to Hydraulic Roofs that function normally? I know which thread would be bigger. :thumb
And one for manual roof issues.

Having just spent the last week speccing up all sorts of Cali-sized pop-tops, Ducato 5.4 vans such as Hymer Ayers Rock, Westfalia Amundsen and Columbus, Knaus boxlife and boxcar ..... The Cali by comparison is neither overpriced nor rustic.

It took me no time at all to spec up a fiat based camper to £65k, no pop-top, no 4 mo, no ACC, 15 inch steels and not even front proximity sensors (£400 dealer-fitted extra).

I did a lot of this before ordering my cali. Most accreditted VW converters are up near the £60k mark once you get away from poverty spec base vehicles and other brands are similar once you start specing them up. Ford Nugget is over £60k list price with a few options the cali has as standard!

Yes thats one of my must haves - priced at £225.00 with dealer discount - expensive but essential to enjoy those views up top!

Back