Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4Motion - high price

I'm guessing those 35mpg's in a 204/199 4 motion are computer figures (therefore 31.5 real) or down hill. I think it's only fair to let potential buyers know there is a hit to mpg with a full-fat Cali.

It’s 15l water capacity, I think it holds 12l of gas. After paying up to £50 for refills and driving hundreds of miles to find campingaz in some countries the LPG tank should pay for itself quite quickly.
Out of interest, how much are we talking to get an LPG tank installed?:thanks

Out of interest, how much are we talking to get an LPG tank installed?:thanks
It varies. I’m getting it done by Propex who have quoted £650 including connecting it to the original gas circuit. Another place who could do the same installation but sooner quoted £750. Everywhere seems very busy at the moment.

It varies. I’m getting it done by Propex who have quoted £650 including connecting it to the original gas circuit. Another place who could do the same installation but sooner quoted £750. Everywhere seems very busy at the moment.
Thank you. And do you retain the ability to still use a 907 as a back up? Cheers.

Thank you. And do you retain the ability to still use a 907 as a back up? Cheers.
I haven’t asked this question, but I have asked for the new pipe to pass through and connect inside the 907 holder. I expect you would just have to swap the regulator back, stow the new pipe and refit the bottle.

I haven’t asked this question, but I have asked for the new pipe to pass through and connect inside the 907 holder. I expect you would just have to swap the regulator back, stow the new pipe and refit the bottle.

Or... you could leave the 907 behind and use that space for some REAL bottle storage, ie of the 70cl variety. I wonder how many would fit in there?

You can get a Seikel lift kit for around £1200. This gives an extra 30mm.
That's a solution I agree but its a fixed 30mm lift, the air is adjustable and includes a lowered sports mode a great ride and the best part, self-levelling.

That's a solution I agree but its a fixed 30mm lift, the air is adjustable and includes a lowered sports mode a great ride and the best part, self-levelling.
That sounds very luxurious.

Or... you could leave the 907 behind and use that space for some REAL bottle storage, ie of the 70cl variety. I wonder how many would fit in there?
I could fill it up with jars of Marmite. This is a seriously good idea.

Just trying to spec up our ideal first ever campervan. I thought I’d go for 4WD but at £3,246 + £750 for diff lock (to get the best out of it) + £120 Hill descent adds up to a whopping £4116
As much as I think it would be useful, even then I’d really need winter tyres anyway at further cost. Then there’s the additional fuel costs. It’s not really selling itself to me at this stage! I’ve read all the threads about it and it seems that those that have it love it, and those that don’t are probably thinking like I am!
so is it worth £4116?
Not that relevant for you but in New Zealand all new VW California are 4Motion. 2wd is not even a spec option. There may be a couple that have been privately imported tho. I love our 4motion Cali, and believe it's incredibly worthwhile on our gravel roads and ski field access roads. Especially with Michelin Latitude Cross tyres and a Seikel 30mm lift.

So now my head is proper spinning!! I’ve gone from looking at threads/photos of people who’ve lowered their vehicle to make it look sportier to options of raising it! I’m never going to be able to prepare for all kinds of use, so at the moment I’m thinking of going for the 199 with 4MO and not lowering or raising it. Still not 100% sure about the diff lock, I don’t really understand enough about it to be honest, so for £750 I need to research what I’m getting a little more.
Thanks for all the advice and opinions. It’s exciting planning this purchase but also a tad confusing...the “4WD or not” decision is just one of many we need to make. The 2 day hire later this month will certainly help though.

@PhilR Don't get too hung up on 4Motion.
95% of users don't really need it and what terrain they think they might tackle and what they actually do tackle are world's apart...

If you genuinely think its essential, then do it. But like Lighting, I've never been stuck enough to be worried. Having the right tyres is more worthy than 4M. Plenty of 2wd vans making it off road and snow.

Going by some of the comments here, makes you wonder how some of the early vans coped...??? :D
My guess, 4M makes up for some bad/unskilled driving ;)

39625793_873419552853130_3764040731552848308_n.jpg

There is more to 4Motion than Off-road capability. Unless of course you go for fuel efficiency. ;)

@PhilR Don't get too hung up on 4Motion.
95% of users don't really need it and what terrain they think they might tackle and what they actually do tackle are world's apart...

If you genuinely think its essential, then do it. But like Lighting, I've never been stuck enough to be worried. Having the right tyres is more worthy than 4M. Plenty of 2wd vans making it off road and snow.

Going by some of the comments here, makes you wonder how some of the early vans coped...??? :D
My guess, 4M makes up for some bad/unskilled driving ;)

View attachment 64066

The right tyres on a 2WD is better than the wrong ones on a 4WD. When I see 4 motions with big wheels and low profile summer tyres, it’s laughable.

PhilR - we’re in rural North Wales down a long farm track, plenty of snow drifts in the winter. On our new (old) Cali, when the tyres need replacing I’ll put on a set of General Grabber AT’s. Should see off most conditions with ease.

Less than half the weight?
[/QUOTE]

True, but love seeing the early vans smashing deserts and stuff with their little 1.6 engines...;)

Sorry and I had intended to say 36mpg with 199 4motion. Lets be honest we all like the badge!

That sounds pretty good to me.
Sure you’ve worked it out correctly...?

I'm guessing those 35mpg's in a 204/199 4 motion are computer figures (therefore 31.5 real) or down hill. I think it's only fair to let potential buyers know there is a hit to mpg with a full-fat Cali.

My experience exactly: 20000 miles, 31.51mpg, brim-to-brim. Best ever 38.5 in ideal conditions. And I drive in a manner which would have frustrated my Grandad: who was a very careful man.

As you’ve read all the Threads you know what the answer is.

If you want it - Can afford it - then get it.

If you want it - But can’t afford it - then don’t get it.

If you don’t want it - then don’t get it. ;)
What if you can afford it but aren't sure if you want it. ;)

Back